Eamonn Brophy

djchapsticks

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I would disagree.

I would suggest Supporters of a club a player is leaving is the perfect place to get an insight into his ability as they watch him every week.

I have also based my opinion on watching him numerous times v Saints, live on tv a few times and highlights on Kilmarnock YouTube channel & Sportscene .

Still to remember thinking Brophy was good/great/amazing in that game today in any match I have ever saw him and like Shull says only thing that sticks out is his tendency to dive quite alot.

A few pens in here  , but some of the other finishes are sublime , as was his goal last season v Rangers ! No matter what anyone thinks , we don't possess a finisher like him .

Best Of Eamonn Brophy | Kilmarnock 2019 | Rising Star - YouTube

I cannot believe the same people (mainly Ronnie) are even comparing Gavin Reilly to Brophy and praising him over Brophy, lets do a quick compare

Brophy - Scotland International and played at all levels of U21's, league - Scottish Prem , goals 2018 - now 26 in 84 games (1 in 3)

Gavin Reilly - never played any level for Scotland, League - EL1/2, goals 2018 - now 9 in 82 (1 in 9)

Its not even the comparison that irks me but the writing off of a player before he even kicks a ball for us

As I said before no matter what the club do some people are never happy

Gavin Reilly is a bit of a cult hero for his short stint with us but in all honesty, he's a lower half Championship striker, maybe even league one these days. Decent enough finisher in the 6 yard area but not much else. Brophy, on the other hand is a proven striker at Premiership level, very busy and a nuisance for other teams and chips in with a few goals too. There's absolutely no comparison.

What I'm excited about is having a striker who's able to have a dig from range, I think Obika is a good striker for us but needs to learn to hit a powerful shot from outside the box now and then (the rest of the team are also guilty of this bar MacPherson and Morias). Obika and Brophy could end up being a really good partnership.

Hope we can get the deal done this month rather than waiting until the end of the season. I also won't believe the PCA is complete until he's pictured with the scarf above the head and conducting a socially distanced handshake with Goody 🤘

9 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

I cannot believe the same people (mainly Ronnie) are even comparing Gavin Reilly to Brophy and praising him over Brophy, lets do a quick compare

Brophy - Scotland International and played at all levels of U21's, league - Scottish Prem , goals 2018 - now 26 in 84 games (1 in 3)

Gavin Reilly - never played any level for Scotland, League - EL1/2, goals 2018 - now 9 in 82 (1 in 9)

Its not even the comparison that irks me but the writing off of a player before he even kicks a ball for us

Agree with most of the above but I'd lose him being a Scottish international as s selling point.

One game, from his previous manager and there's been plenty of misfits had one game for Scotland.

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Scored 22 goals in 44 matches for St Mirren better than the 6 strikers from last season Mullen, Obika, Morias, Chabbi, Cooke, Jakubiak & Dennis from this season.

Weird comparison. Reilly played in the Championship for us whereas the aforementioned played in the Premiership. Not only was Reilly deployed in a much more attack minded formation, a huge chunk of those 22 goals came against the likes of Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale, Hearts Reserves and lower league teams like Stranraer and Arbroath. 

A goal is a goal but you can't have it both ways (Brophy also wins a fair number of penalties before he scores them, very good trait to have).

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Agree with most of the above but I'd lose him being a Scottish international as s selling point.

One game, from his previous manager and there's been plenty of misfits had one game for Scotland.

I agree one cap does not an internationalist make but my point was more that he has been involved at most levels of the Scotland caps system U19, U21 and full.

9 minutes ago, pod said:

He was my all time favourite striker for Saints.  Never see the likes again. :(

Aye along with McDougall, McAvennie, McGarvey !!

Even Alan Logan and McEachran would play every week for 90mins compared to what we have these days.

Imagine Somner and McDougall playing in our current side.

I think Brophy will be a decent signing for us and pretty much the best we can get.

We know his ability and he is proven. Instead of taking gambles on lower league strikers in England where we are really just basing it on pedigree.

Be interesting to see if we offer Obika a new contract.  At the moment I think we will but not fully convinced. Also would Obika accept or have better offer elsewhere ?

If we could shift Erwin at the end of the season that would be ideal.

For me 4 strikers, Brophy, Obika, Dennis and ANOther. 

Edited by lenziebud

Where did I compare Reilly to Brophy??? Plenty people on here keep banging on about us getting a 15-20 goal per season striker.

I just pointed out the last one we had and (only one in last 20 years) just returned to Scotland to sign for a rival team.

Now there seems to be alot of negativity towards Reilly's goals tally as they "Were mostly against diddy teams" yeah because in the 3 years since he left when we have played similar diddy teams in League & Scottish cup our strikers banged in loads of goals against said diddy teams.

12 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Where did I compare Reilly to Brophy??? Plenty people on here keep banging on about us getting a 15-20 goal per season striker.

I just pointed out the last one we had and (only one in last 20 years) just returned to Scotland to sign for a rival team.

Now there seems to be alot of negativity towards Reilly's goals tally as they "Were mostly against diddy teams" yeah because in the 3 years since he left when we have played similar diddy teams in League & Scottish cup our strikers banged in loads of goals against said diddy teams.

Steven Thompson?

ETA Reilly has had ONE good season as far as goals are concerned.

Edited by stlucifer

This is a genuine question to everyone on here, Faraway you praised Brophy's potential signing on another thread and Lenziebud is one of many to say we know his ability is good etc etc etc only Billyg has came out with some sort of evidence to his ability.

Has anyone ever saw him have a good match against St Mirren???

Has anyone ever watched a Kilmarnock match against anyone else and raved about or been impressed with his performance afterwards?

I can read watch YouTube or read his stats like everyone else and his 1 in 5 goals imo is just ok.

I said this before and seeing as Swiss saint likes to repeat his points I cannot remember EVER thinking after any match involving Brophy how good he was today plenty times though thought of him as a diver, lazy, overrated.

Like my negativity on Erwin it's up to Brophy to prove me wrong let's hope he does.

I'll gladly eat my words for a 15-20 goal a season striker.

I think Brophy will be a decent signing for us and pretty much the best we can get.
We know his ability and he is proven. Instead of taking gambles on lower league strikers in England where we are really just basing it on pedigree.
Be interesting to see if we offer Obika a new contract.  At the moment I think we will but not fully convinced. Also would Obika accept or have better offer elsewhere ?
If we could shift Erwin at the end of the season that would be ideal.
For me 4 strikers, Brophy, Obika, Dennis and ANOther. 

Reilly is only one to score more than 20 in last 20 years I forgot to point that part out when using the 15-20 goal part that everyone bangs on about.

Factually incorrect. Thommo managed over 15 goals a season at least twice during seasons in the top flight. You can’t compare his scoring record against Reilly who scored many of his against Colt sides.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just out of interest how many good seasons "as far as goals are concerned" has Brophy had???

You are comparing apples to oranges, Reilly had one good season in the Championship, you trying to say that Brophy who has scored 

2017-18 1 in 4 games

2018 - 19 1 in 3

2019 - 2020 1 in 3

2020 - 2021 1 in 5 ( a bad season for him which you are basing your opinion on) 

is worse?

Gavin who I loved playing for saints had 1 season in the SPL in which he scored 1 in 8

For me if we can get him to score 1 in 3 I am very happy to welcome Brophy

37 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just out of interest how many good seasons "as far as goals are concerned" has Brophy had???

I wasn't comparing the two. I was highlighting that Reilly wasn't the ONLY player in the 15-20 bracket and he wasn't some sort of super striker.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I’ve resisted the temptation to respond to you until now. Mainly due to the fact that I’m not convinced that you aren’t just another sad troll. My thinking that you might not be for real in turn is due to the fact that in my entire life I’ve never come across anyone who was such a joyless article.

So I will ask you two simple questions (one of which you’ve been asked before and chosen not to answer).

Name one striker who you believe is within our budget that you would have preferred we signed?

By referencing Reilly’s scoring record at a lower level against Brophy’s at top level, are you saying you’d have preferred we sign Reilly than Brophy?

21 minutes ago, shull said:

Ronnie is not a troll.

He has a mind and an opinion of his own , unlike Cardeebuds and many more living in a Forum Echo Chamber.

Ok I will take your word for that, but if true, I strongly suggest for his own wellbeing that he finds a new hobby, because he seems to get absolutely no joy whatsoever from being a St. Mirren fan.