Eamonn Brophy

djchapsticks

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I'm not sure about that. I think he's a dud at Premiership level. Completely failed at League 2 in England. Decent Championship striker but highly overrated by many on this forum and I said that when he left us !

Eammon Brophy is a far superior player to Gavin Reilly. Would be surprised if Reilly stays at Livi for long.

We might all be wrong about Reilly but it's the fact that he failed utterly at League Two level which convinces me he's not Premiership standard.

He'll certainly be willing to kick us in the nuts in the semi-final but I'm not overly worried that he's gone to a rival.

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ok I will take your word for that, but if true, I strongly suggest for his own wellbeing that he finds a new hobby, because he seems to get absolutely no joy whatsoever from being a St. Mirren fan.

TBF, I think we need to get out of the habit of calling people trolls when they don't agree with us. It's getting a bit tired.

Bloody hell. I think of saints signed Messi there would be some folk saying “that’s shite”......”he’s very one footed”......” he is past his best”. JDH was an unknown and look how his signing has transformed us. Maybe Brophy is another missing piece of the jigsaw. Players and clubs sometimes just go together. We won’t know if it will work until he is given a fair crack. End of story. However, the makings are there and that’s why we have went out and got him.

2 minutes ago, alansaint said:

Bloody hell. I think of saints signed Messi there would be some folk saying “that’s shite”......”he’s very one footed”......” he is past his best”. JDH was an unknown and look how his signing has transformed us. Maybe Brophy is another missing piece of the jigsaw. Players and clubs sometimes just go together. We won’t know if it will work until he is given a fair crack. End of story. However, the makings are there and that’s why we have went out and got him.

Totally agree. Some fans just like to slate a player before the ink has dried on the contract. 

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

There's nothing new in that article that we didn't know yesterday is there?

Nothing official yet.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3876-st-mirren-delighted-to-confirm-signing-of-eamonn-brophy-on-pre-contract

There ye go! 

The BBC Football only say 'confirmed' when it really is. 

That is why I posted it. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, billyg said:

A few pens in here  , but some of the other finishes are sublime , as was his goal last season v Rangers ! No matter what anyone thinks , we don't possess a finisher like him .

Best Of Eamonn Brophy | Kilmarnock 2019 | Rising Star - YouTube

Just saw this - ta, Billyg.  :)

All the penalties struck (well) along the ground.

All other goals but 1 were also along the ground, really.

Does he challenge in the air, does he use the heid?

I hope his star keeps ascending.    :unsure:

Edited by antrin

On 1/5/2021 at 12:23 PM, djchapsticks said:

It is hilarious because it's not particularly accurate.

We are willing to pay more than Aberdeen or Hibs are willing to pay. That's a big difference to financially blowing them out the water. 

Let's do a wee hypothetical scenario....Let's say for example, he's offered £2,000 p/w with us. We feel we're within our scope of comfort to offer the guy such a wage with the understanding he'll be our first choice centre forward.

Lets also say Hibs want him. They already have 2 centre forwards in Doidge and Nisbett who are most likely on significantly more than him and see Brophy as a decent backup option. However, Brophy's agent understands that Edinburgh is far more expensive to live in, requires upheaval and new digs and his client will be getting less playing time - so he asks for £2,750 p/w to offset the factors of cost and lessened playing opportunity.

Hibs feel that whilst they could offer that, they choose not to as he potentially wouldn't get enough football to justify adding almost £3k more to the wage bill in these times of uncertainty for what is essentially a backup option.

So whilst we technically have paid more than Hibs, it most certainly doesn't equate to us blowing a shedload of cash and gazumping them financially. To think so is ludicrous.

You don't know what Brophy or any other members of the team are on or how it would affect their happiness. I certainly don't know how much my colleagues are on. Amazing how folk always assume fitba players sit and discuss their wage packets.

So by your own standards, all clubs should have players on the same wages to maintain peace and harmony?

McInnes in the press this morning , with qoutes , saying he is gutted to have missed out on Brophy , and that we have done really well to get him. They have recalled Bruce Anderson because they're short of front men !

4 minutes ago, billyg said:

McInnes in the press this morning , with qoutes , saying he is gutted to have missed out on Brophy , and that we have done really well to get him. They have recalled Bruce Anderson because they're short of front men !

In normal times Aberdeen would have outbid us comfortably.

However, in the current climate,  they seem to completely hamstrung when it comes to offering any sort of deal.

Worked out well for us.:)

We signed Brophy to be our 1st choice striker, so he gets to play most weeks.

Hibs/Dons wanted him to be 2nd/3rd choice striker, so he gets to sit on the bench most week.

Could it be that he wanted to play more rather than sit on the bench.

So his move to us could be as much as playing time rather than money. 

Hibs/Dons wanted him to be 2nd/3rd choice striker, so he gets to sit on the bench most week.

That may also be the reason we've reportedly offered more money. [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Other factors could have been length of contract. Perhaps he wanted to be closer to home.  

Edited by pod

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, djchapsticks said:

Six clubs linked with a move for Brophy and we're one of the chasing pack.

Looking at the other clubs on the list, you'd need to think we're far down the pecking order though.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-barnsley-luton-want-eamonn-brophy-kilmarnock

How do you think that he has performed since joining?

Been ‘stop, start’ due to being unlucky with injuries. He puts in a good shift. Needs somebody to play off up front, but you could see him going on a good scoring run with the right service and avoiding injuries.
He is a bit greedy at times but we have a recent history of overplaying a bit when we get into the last 3rd. I don’t mind his directness and shots peppering the stands if he bangs in a few of them. 
Having Brophy and Grieve signed up for next season is a big plus for me. 

2 hours ago, Rascal said:

How do you think that he has performed since joining?

3 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Been ‘stop, start’ due to being unlucky with injuries. He puts in a good shift. Needs somebody to play off up front, but you could see him going on a good scoring run with the right service and avoiding injuries.
He is a bit greedy at times but we have a recent history of overplaying a bit when we get into the last 3rd. I don’t mind his directness and shots peppering the stands if he bangs in a few of them. 
Having Brophy and Grieve signed up for next season is a big plus for me. 

Aye, I agree.

far better to have players take shots, pepper the goalie and others hustling in to pick up scraps to score rather than an infinity of square passes outside the opponents penalty area or… more likely… the centre circle.

Brophy’s scored some crackers- mostly all his own work, too.

One thing I hate is players failing to take any responsibility around the box and always wanting to pass the burden to someone else. Give me players like Brophy and Ronan any time who will have a go. I'd prefer them to hit it out the ground rather than another back pass ending up at the keeper.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

One thing I hate is players failing to take any responsibility around the box and always wanting to pass the burden to someone else. Give me players like Brophy and Ronan any time who will have a go. I'd prefer them to hit it out the ground rather than another back pass ending up at the keeper.

Agree with this. Brophy doesn’t hide. Has a go. Needs better service and, as others have said, to avoid injuries and get fully fit. He knows where the goals are and has a strikers instinct. IMO