Eamonn Brophy

djchapsticks

He is the best of the strikers we have although Greive or Offord may develop to be better. Due to budgets we will either have to develop someone better or find some rough diamond and recognise the potential (Ross Stewart/Shankland I am looking at the guy that released you) although of course sometimes its the player not the club at fault in these.

Dont think we have seen him at his best yet due to his injurys but if we can keep him fit and get him decent service he will score more goals. Too many times he has to drop for the ball and we then put it where it is best for him and when he is in position we play it too short,  hopefully that comes together soon. As a holdup player he is better than Main and his workrate is excellent harrying the defenders to suit our play style.

Overall Brophy is a good striker for us.

7 hours ago, gorgo said:

He was and never will be prolific but should be able to get 12 to 15 goals a season.

We don't play to have a prolific striker.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

In our terms, 12-15 goals a season would be considered prolific IMO. Add in one other on those figures and others pitching in from midfield and a few headers from defenders and we move on and up. Not easy to find. Brophy is currently as near as we get but needs better service and to stay injury free to improve his fitness.

Edited by Rascal

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, Scott-Leeds said:

So, perhaps 10 games in to the season we can expect to field a striker ? emoji2.png

I’ll take those odds!

Robbo seems to be able to get more effort from Main, in fact his performance against St.Johnstone at the end of the season was one of his best in a Saints top.

3 hours ago, Hunterian said:

I’ll take those odds!

Robbo seems to be able to get more effort from Main, in fact his performance against St.Johnstone at the end of the season was one of his best in a Saints top.

I don't agree on the effort, although many make that comment.

For Main has plenty of desire, its just that Goodwin's approach to using him finished him.

Robinson know how to play him to his strengths.

Be interesting to see how the sterile tactics Goodwin used at SMFC endear him to Dons fans, having said that I think he'll be more expansive at Aberdeen.

8 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I don't agree on the effort, although many make that comment.

For Main has plenty of desire, its just that Goodwin's approach to using him finished him.

Robinson know how to play him to his strengths.

Be interesting to see how the sterile tactics Goodwin used at SMFC endear him to Dons fans, having said that I think he'll be more expansive at Aberdeen.

We must rate him highly given we named a stand after him.

Whether he was used incorrectly or not I think we are agreeing that he’s more of a threat now.

Goodwin may do well, he’s certainly giving plenty of quotes to the media.

The last Manager showed early promise for them too…

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Is this Brophy last season on his contract as well as Main ?

Brophy has 2 left I’m sure, I’m hoping for big things from him this season, Robinson rates him, I think he’s going to be a lot fitter this season.

3 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

Brophy has 2 left I’m sure, I’m hoping for big things from him this season, Robinson rates him, I think he’s going to be a lot fitter this season.

Aye your right. Only 1 year into a 3 year contract. Probably feels longer since we had him for the loan spell prior to his contract kicking in.

1 hour ago, JJ McG said:

Well given what we are paying him we need him to produce because up to now its not been value for money. 

The form that Main showed at the end of last season and Grieve in general means that Brophy will need to show a lot more than he has up till now.

Again Goodwin's approach may have been an issue.

Here's hoping we see a lot more from Brophy this sesason.

Brophy's had issues with his fitness long before he joined us, he was injured at Kilmarnock before he came. Infact the only season in his career where has made more than 30 league appearances was last season, so that injury hit campaign was actually the least injured he's ever been over a full term. Quite remarkable for a 26 year old really.  

Are these continual fitness issues for three separate clubs suddenly going to resolve themselves? Maybe, hopefully. It's certainly more likely that he will continue to miss several games a season due to injury., he's already missed the first one. Is either one of Ayunga, Main or Grieve capable of scoring 10+ goals next season? They'll need to be. Without Ronan and McGrath's goals from midfield we need someone capable of hitting the net on a regular basis and staying fit. I'm not sure we have someone like that in the squad to be honest.  If i had to bet on our top scorer next season i'd go for Kiltie.

Edited by TopCat

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Brophy's had issues with his fitness long before he joined us, he was injured at Kilmarnock before he came. Infact the only season in his career where has made more than 30 league appearances was last season, so that injury hit campaign was actually the least injured he's ever been over a full term. Quite remarkable for a 26 year old really.  

Are these continual fitness issues for three separate clubs suddenly going to resolve themselves? Maybe, hopefully. It's certainly more likely that he will continue to miss several games a season due to injury., he's already missed the first one. Is either one of Ayunga, Main or Grieve capable of scoring 10+ goals next season? They'll need to be. Without Ronan and McGrath's goals from midfield we need someone capable of hitting the net on a regular basis and staying fit. I'm not sure we have someone like that in the squad to be honest.  If i had to bet on our top scorer next season i'd go for Kiltie.

Our new lad up front is a handful. Big, strong, full of running. Might need to bring his teammates into things a bit more but will provide competition for places up front. My concern is to find a Gocic equivalent.