djchapsticks

Eamonn Brophy

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I'm going to assume that I'm not one of "these same people" given that I have never made any such claim about Erwin.

Nobody proclaimed Erwin as an "amazing" signing.

All they did was say that they'd actually wait to see whether he was any good or not after he'd actually played for us.

Welcome Lee Erwin - General St. Mirren Discussion - virtual west bank (blackandwhitearmy.com)

Seems like Ronnie is telling porkies.

3 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Maybe so but most likely shareholders got a nice little bonus out of that. 

I don’t think shareholders have received a bonus/dividend since the 70s.

9 minutes ago, HSS said:

I don’t think shareholders have received a bonus/dividend since the 70s.

Fair enough, sorry bout going off subject by going on about them in Edinburgh.

With the signing of Brophy and even going back to the summer signings, we are making better, targeted signings instead of the wholesale take a chance on say 20 players a season and hope some are fairly ok. 

I think Erwin and Dennis are better coming off bench if JG has to go with 2 up front but they might find themselves in same situ as morias, although Dennis might go before to look for 1st team regular football especially at his age.

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Ok here goes been a season ticket holder over 30 years go to 90%+ of matches in first 15 years filtered between 50-90% last 15 years due to other circumstances.

I said for 2 years Kevin Nisbet was best young striker in Scotland he went to Hibs and has 10 goals this season already that is more than the 7 different strikers we have had on our books since Goodwin took over.

At least 20 people calling me out on here and St Mirren fans social media over my OPINION of Brophy but still waiting on 1 telling me what they PERSONALLY have saw of Brophy that makes him so good???

Hypothetical statement here I am a Livingston fan who doesn't know Gavin Reilly I look at his stats and see his last season in Scotland he scored 22 Goals in 44 appearances I think amazing striker we are getting here.

I dont rate Reilly better than Thommo, don't know if he would have been a good player for us in premier league probably not going by his last 6 months but like other players before Livingston seem together an extra 10% out of players other teams dont rate.

I'm not Comparing Reillly to Brophy or Thommo I'm comparing stats nothing more nothing less.

Again my OPINION on Brophy is based on being present or watching on tv every Kilmarnock v St Mirren match last 3 years.

Also watched plenty highlights of most Kilmarnock matches through YouTube or Sportscene last 3 years.

I repeat again not once have I ever came away thinking Brophy played great today or was really good, or was amazing he scored 1 good goal v Rangers I remember that is it.

I do remember branding him a diver, thinking he is overrated after a particular match down there where we lost.

Again maybe someone will have the balls to stop quoting his wikipedia stats and tell me PERSONALLY why he is such a great signing as we can see from Gavin Reilly stats can be interpreted good or bad but they dont tell the whole story.

So you don't think Brophy is a good signing and a number of others do, end of ?

It seems to me that unless others agree with you that you are just going to keep banging on about it.

Go and tell Jim Goodwin, Jack Ross, Derek McInnes, Stevie Clarke and a number of Championship managers in England he is not up to it. Let us know what they say ?

42 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Nobody proclaimed Erwin as an "amazing" signing.

All they did was say that they'd actually wait to see whether he was any good or not after he'd actually played for us.

Welcome Lee Erwin - General St. Mirren Discussion - virtual west bank (blackandwhitearmy.com)

Seems like Ronnie is telling porkies.

Exactly. Expressions like "these same people" are used by people who are either liars or simply talking utter shite. I'm unfussed by which category Ronnie fits into. People who are telling the truth usually quote actual statements made by actual people.

36 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Fair enough, sorry bout going off subject by going on about them in Edinburgh.

Ah sorry,I thought you meant SMFC shareholders.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This is a genuine question to everyone on here, Faraway you praised Brophy's potential signing on another thread and Lenziebud is one of many to say we know his ability is good etc etc etc only Billyg has came out with some sort of evidence to his ability.

Has anyone ever saw him have a good match against St Mirren???

Has anyone ever watched a Kilmarnock match against anyone else and raved about or been impressed with his performance afterwards?

I can read watch YouTube or read his stats like everyone else and his 1 in 5 goals imo is just ok.

I said this before and seeing as Swiss saint likes to repeat his points I cannot remember EVER thinking after any match involving Brophy how good he was today plenty times though thought of him as a diver, lazy, overrated.

Like my negativity on Erwin it's up to Brophy to prove me wrong let's hope he does.

I'll gladly eat my words for a 15-20 goal a season striker.

As I said on the other thread, I rarely get involved in these "He's great "He's shite" threads when we sign a player, I only posted in here to point out the fact that he's an internationalist is next to irrelevant IMO, as is your subjective, and damning opinion of him. 

Aye, we can all quote stats, and they are hard to argue with, although some seem to try to do this very thing.

All I can add, and I'm out after this, is that I remember him at Hamilton and had a discussion with my Dad at that time and we both thought he was a player.

I was surprised that he went to Kilmarnock, thought he had more to him.

I don't watch much Scottish football as it's mostly shite so I can't, with any conviction, say how he's played in the last few seasons.

I will reiterate I am excited at his potential and believe he could be a very good acquisition for us. 

Edited by faraway saint

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As I said on the other thread, I rarely get involved in these "He's great "He's shite" threads when we sign a player, I only posted in here to point out the fact that he's an internationalist is next to irrelevant IMO, as is your subjective, and damning opinion of him. 

Aye, we can all quote stats, and they are hard to argue with, although some seem to try to do this very thing.

All I can add, and I'm out after this, is that I remember him at Mother well and had a discussion with my Dad at that time and we both thought he was a player.

I was surprised that he went to Kilmarnock, thought he had more to him.

I don't watch much Scottish football as it's mostly shite so I can't, with any conviction, say how he's played in the last few seasons.

I will reiterate I am excited at his potential and believe he could be a very good acquisition for us. 

He played for Hamilton. Easy mistake to make 😂 

3 hours ago, lenziebud said:

I'm not sure about that. I think he's a dud at Premiership level. Completely failed at League 2 in England. Decent Championship striker but highly overrated by many on this forum and I said that when he left us !

Eammon Brophy is a far superior player to Gavin Reilly. Would be surprised if Reilly stays at Livi for long.

We might all be wrong about Reilly but it's the fact that he failed utterly at League Two level which convinces me he's not Premiership standard.

He'll certainly be willing to kick us in the nuts in the semi-final but I'm not overly worried that he's gone to a rival.

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Ok I will take your word for that, but if true, I strongly suggest for his own wellbeing that he finds a new hobby, because he seems to get absolutely no joy whatsoever from being a St. Mirren fan.

TBF, I think we need to get out of the habit of calling people trolls when they don't agree with us. It's getting a bit tired.

Bloody hell. I think of saints signed Messi there would be some folk saying “that’s shite”......”he’s very one footed”......” he is past his best”. JDH was an unknown and look how his signing has transformed us. Maybe Brophy is another missing piece of the jigsaw. Players and clubs sometimes just go together. We won’t know if it will work until he is given a fair crack. End of story. However, the makings are there and that’s why we have went out and got him.

2 minutes ago, alansaint said:

Bloody hell. I think of saints signed Messi there would be some folk saying “that’s shite”......”he’s very one footed”......” he is past his best”. JDH was an unknown and look how his signing has transformed us. Maybe Brophy is another missing piece of the jigsaw. Players and clubs sometimes just go together. We won’t know if it will work until he is given a fair crack. End of story. However, the makings are there and that’s why we have went out and got him.

Totally agree. Some fans just like to slate a player before the ink has dried on the contract. 

4 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

There's nothing new in that article that we didn't know yesterday is there?

Nothing official yet.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/3876-st-mirren-delighted-to-confirm-signing-of-eamonn-brophy-on-pre-contract

There ye go! 

The BBC Football only say 'confirmed' when it really is. 

That is why I posted it. 

On 1/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, billyg said:

A few pens in here  , but some of the other finishes are sublime , as was his goal last season v Rangers ! No matter what anyone thinks , we don't possess a finisher like him .

Best Of Eamonn Brophy | Kilmarnock 2019 | Rising Star - YouTube

Just saw this - ta, Billyg.  :)

All the penalties struck (well) along the ground.

All other goals but 1 were also along the ground, really.

Does he challenge in the air, does he use the heid?

I hope his star keeps ascending.    :unsure:

Edited by antrin

On 1/7/2021 at 7:17 PM, Tommy said:

I would expect McGrath would still be our 1st choice penalty kick taker. 

He deserves to continue the role until he does not score. Best penalty kick taker we ever had in my lifetime was Ian Scanlon.