St Mirren v Motherwell 9/1/21

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

This is a game we must surely win. 

Motherwell are in free fall, Hopefully they keep Chapman in goal who looked worse than hopeless against Hamilton 

No excuses from big Jon and our other strikers,  they need to find the net in this game and get the 3 points 

How many years have you been supporting St Mirren  😀

This is a game we must surely win. 

Motherwell are in free fall, Hopefully they keep Chapman in goal who looked worse than hopeless against Hamilton 

No excuses from big Jon and our other strikers,  they need to find the net in this game and get the 3 points 

They'll have an excuse if they get the same level of no service. It doesn't matter how effective they are if we don't get decent balls into the box.

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

They'll have an excuse if they get the same level of no service. It doesn't matter how effective they are if we don't get decent balls into the box.

Is that the excuses starting already ?

Plenty of balls going into the box now it's up to them to get on end of them,  if they can't do that against this Motherwell team we'll be fighting it out at the bottom of the table again. This game could define our season challenging for the top 6 or the other it's a must win game in my book,  No excuses.

I'd start the game with Obika and Dennis on from the start get a early goal and Motherwell's heads will go down. 

34 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Plenty of balls going into the box now it's up to them to get on end of them,  if they can't do that against this Motherwell team we'll be fighting it out at the bottom of the table again. This game could define our season challenging for the top 6 or the other it's a must win game in my book,  No excuses.

I'd start the game with Obika and Dennis on from the start get a early goal and Motherwell's heads will go down. 

Agree with starting 2 up top, who would you drop to accommodate this ?

PS 

I would drop Mason if Tait is fit

Edited by fmckinn

58 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Is he a new signing? 

I don't know but i hope so.

Well fans on P&B are clear what they think about him. 

Had a look and he signed last Oct till the end of the season. 

Edited by Tommy

Disagree mate. 
Our strikers MIGHT not be any good, but so far I don’t believe finishing is our problem. It’s the final ball that’s our problem. 
I disagree that we have “plenty of balls going into the box”. On the contrary I think we do a power of fannying about and whatever balls do get put into the box are generally of an appalling standard. 
I’ll reserve criticism of the strikers until they start getting proper service and start missing a significant number of well created chances. 

Agree with dropping Mason and having a second striker up front.

Cammy in for Ethan as well.

It's worrying how many balls we get into the box which go nowhere near one of our own players.

Can't work out whether our wide players are at fault for poor direction of the balls or our striker for being nowhere to be seen but that needs fixed ASAP.

Totally agree 100%  Tait should be available according to Jim. Not sure if i'm in the minority or not but I've not been impressed with Mason in defence or going forward, 

Agree, i said the same in another thread. Looked ok in his debut but don't rate him either.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Disagree mate. 
Our strikers MIGHT not be any good, but so far I don’t believe finishing is our problem. It’s the final ball that’s our problem. 
I disagree that we have “plenty of balls going into the box”. On the contrary I think we do a power of fannying about and whatever balls do get put into the box are generally of an appalling standard. 
I’ll reserve criticism of the strikers until they start getting proper service and start missing a significant number of well created chances. 

Indeed.

If you think back to our games, there haven't been too many chances that we've missed in and around the six yard box. Mostly because of the problem highlighted above.

If we give our strikers chances in that area, then I reckon that nine times out of ten they'll finish them off. Dennis, in particular, is one I feel would benefit greatly from decent service into the box.

I believe that if we could sign an experienced creative midfielder, then we could improve in terms of creating chances and also provide JDH with a more effective and quicker link to getting the ball forward.

Edited by FTOF

Apparently Motherwell have lost every match they have lost first goal so early or first goal could be very crucial.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Indeed.

If you think back to our games, there haven't been too many chances that we've missed in and around the six yard box. Mostly because of the problem highlighted above.

If we give our strikers chances in that area, then I reckon that nine times out of ten they'll finish them off. Dennis, in particular, is one I feel would benefit greatly from decent service into the box.

I believe that if we could sign an experienced creative midfielder, then we could improve in terms of creating chances and also provide JDH with a more effective and quicker link to getting the ball forward.

Don't agree with you FTOF on both points,  our strikers have been guilty of missing plenty good chances, Big Jon nearly took out the Emirates flight a couple of days ago from inside the 6yd box, Erwin had a open goal in the 6yd box against Aberdeen and hits it to the only place he can't score  Morias had a similar open goal too against Livi I think,  9 out of 10 your having a laugh. 

And we already have a very creative midfielder in Jamie McGrath and he's only going to get better. 

I do agree we need to create better chances for the strikers, And that needs to come from our wide players they need to hit the byline more often and have our strikers facing the goal not their backs to the goal all the time 

4 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Don't agree with you FTOF on both points,  our strikers have been guilty of missing plenty good chances, Big Jon nearly took out the Emirates flight a couple of days ago from inside the 6yd box, Erwin had a open goal in the 6yd box against Aberdeen and hits it to the only place he can't score  Morias had a similar open goal too against Livi I think,  9 out of 10 your having a laugh. 

And we already have a very creative midfielder in Jamie McGrath and he's only going to get better. 

I do agree we need to create better chances for the strikers, And that needs to come from our wide players they need to hit the byline more often and have our strikers facing the goal not their backs to the goal all the time 

Sorry mate, but to make your point you have selected arguably the only two glaring misses in recent memory and I’d argue that the Erwin one was the only really bad miss.

Are our strikers not allowed to miss chances? 
The quality of balls into the box has generally been very poor.

I could use your methodology and say that the the only quality balls into the box I can remember in recent games were McAllister’s against St. Johnstone. Erwin and Obika finished both of them. 

Sorry mate, but to make your point you have selected arguably the only two glaring misses in recent memory and I’d argue that the Erwin one was the only really bad miss.
Are our strikers not allowed to miss chances? 
The quality of balls into the box has generally been very poor.
I could use your methodology and say that the the only quality balls into the box I can remember in recent games were McAllister’s against St. Johnstone. Erwin and Obika finished both of them. 
What he said.

Strikers cannot just hang about waiting for someone to lay it on a plate for them. Against Sevco for example McGrath intercepted a ball and charged forward. At the edge of the box he passed to his left to Obika who should have hammered it. But instead Obika wanted to take three touches to bring it under control and ended up being caught in possession. If you don't shoot you don't score and unfortunately our strikers don't shoot. They want to walk a ball into the net.

44 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Strikers cannot just hang about waiting for someone to lay it on a plate for them. Against Sevco for example McGrath intercepted a ball and charged forward. At the edge of the box he passed to his left to Obika who should have hammered it. But instead Obika wanted to take three touches to bring it under control and ended up being caught in possession. If you don't shoot you don't score and unfortunately our strikers don't shoot. They want to walk a ball into the net.

It's not only that players want to walk the ball into the net it's the highlighted part that's a common fault with most players.

It looks like most players can't strike a ball that's been played straight to them, one touch football is almost a thing of the past, if it ever was a thing TBH. 

Good teams/players shift the ball quickly from back to front and can strike the ball before the opposition get a chance to get organised. 

Slow, sideways passing, aye, plenty of possession but no threat. 

17 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's not only that players want to walk the ball into the net it's the highlighted part that's a common fault with most players.

It looks like most players can't strike a ball that's been played straight to them, one touch football is almost a thing of the past, if it ever was a thing TBH. 

Good teams/players shift the ball quickly from back to front and can strike the ball before the opposition get a chance to get organised. 

Slow, sideways passing, aye, plenty of possession but no threat. 

I watched Shankland on Sat against Aberdeen. He didn't score but got  shots away on target from the edge of the box. How often do you see a St Mirren striker take a shot from outside the box? Our midfielders do it but our strikers don't.

Edited by Sonny

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I watched Shankland on Sat against Aberdeen. He didn't score but got  shots away on target from the edge of the box. How often do you see a St Mirren striker take a shot from outside the box? Our midfielders do it but our strikers don't.

A great example is Leicesters 2nd goal yesterday, slick pass, one strike, goal. 

Do players practice hitting a moving ball in training, it seems it's all dead ball practice or they slow the ball down before attempting to strike it.