St Mirren v Motherwell 9/1/21

On the strength of the last few games I thought young Erhahon should have been on the bench at best. He has become a liability in the midfield as he refuses to tackle and is now, in the main, sitting too deep to affect the offensive part of the game. I can only assume the likes of MacPherson must be dreadful in training to warrant Ethan starting in front of them.

As for the game. We just about merited a draw but the way we got it was a bit embarrassing. Erwin went down in stages after his sleeve was brushed. If he has a conscience he'll be hiding behind the settee when the highlights are shown today and I'm pretty certain Michael Stewart will have a field day.

59 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

On the strength of the last few games I thought young Erhahon should have been on the bench at best. He has become a liability in the midfield as he refuses to tackle and is now, in the main, sitting too deep to affect the offensive part of the game. I can only assume the likes of MacPherson must be dreadful in training to warrant Ethan starting in front of them.

As for the game. We just about merited a draw but the way we got it was a bit embarrassing. Erwin went down in stages after his sleeve was brushed. If he has a conscience he'll be hiding behind the settee when the highlights are shown today and I'm pretty certain Michael Stewart will have a field day.

Who gives a flying feck, we got a goal out of it...

58 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

That's not what the pen was given for. As FTOF mentions Mugabi takes Erwins foot away as he Erwin play the ball. It was obvious at the time on the replay. Not quite getting where the confusion was. A bit soft but on balance it was a pen.

41 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Turns out it was a great spot by Madden for the penalty. Turn the sound up on the clip and you can clearly hear Mugabi's contact with Erwin's boot. The angle it's filmed from gives you more perspective on what actually happened, compared to the front on view.

St Mirren FC (@saintmirrenfc) / Twitter

If THAT had been given against us the forum would have been shouting about the ref being, well, the usual mince.
Hey, we, as I said yesterday, are carrying some luck right now, better than bad luck. 

Edited by faraway saint

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
If THAT had been given against us the forum would have been shouting about the ref being, well, the usual mince.
Hey, we, as I said yesterday, are carrying some luck right now, better than bad luck. 

Good one!

Mugabe clearly kicks Erwin's foot and takes his leg away. It would be given as a foul all day long if it was outside the box.

49 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

That's not what the pen was given for. As FTOF mentions Mugabi takes Erwins foot away as he Erwin play the ball. It was obvious at the time on the replay. Not quite getting where the confusion was. A bit soft but on balance it was a pen.

I've watched it a few times. My first inclination was what you said but I'm not convinced there was any contact. Looked like a dive to me. As I said. I thought we did enough for a draw but I don't think the penalty was justified.

8 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Am currently watching David Bowie @ Glastonbury 2000. I'd never noticed before but there's a "Grey" type alien in a Saints top (although it was actually green coloured) 👽 visible during the intro to Wild is the Wind - oh and by the way it was a penalty.

Nearly gor an “off topic” slap there. Just saved yourself...

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Good one!

Mugabe clearly kicks Erwin's foot and takes his leg away. It would be given as a foul all day long if it was outside the box.

It was a pen , there were two fouls on Erwin . He does well to  hold onto the ball , and invite the contact !

In recent times there has been a debate as to whether a player should go down if there's been some form of illegal contact.  As we've seen in other games, the football pundits have said, 'had he gone down he would have won a penalty'. 

I think that our penalty was a wrong decision but, in the current culture of penalty box activity where players artistically manipulate the rules ie. 'dives', Erwin succeeded and he could be complimented. 

Had that draw yesterday saved us from relegation, Erwin would have been praised as a hero.

1 hour ago, saint in exile said:

Never a penalty in a million years. A slight touch on Erwin's shoulder, and Mugabi doesn't connect. But we'll take it.

Fortunately for us course he does. :)

Clear as a bell on the clip, when Mugabi swipes. No contact on the ball. Only Erwin's heel.

Unless of course the club "deep faked" the clip.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Fortunately for us course he does. :)

Clear as a bell on the clip, when Mugabi swipes. No contact on the ball. Only Erwin's heel.

Unless of course the club "deep faked" the clip.:rolleyes:

I completely agree.

Erwin was being pulled away from the ball to which his foot was outstretching, when THAT foot was whipped away from him.

Penalty all day long....  :)