faraway saint

St Mirren v Motherwell 9/1/21

Not a great performance by either team, so a point apiece seems fair.

For a second week our midfield struggled. Erhahon and McGrath could not get a grip on the game. Perhaps time to try Flynn and MacPherson again. Also, Doyle-Hayes was less effective than he's been up till now. Think the Well players had sussed that he was the man in our midfield to target.

Durmus good again when he came on, but doesn't seem able to play like that consistently.

Quiet debut for Brophy though he was clearly trying.

On to St. Johnstone and as always.....

COYS!!

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Another big mention for Jim's Jim's substitutions yet again. Changed the pattern of the game. I don't know if McAllister was getting hooked anyway but the passage of play immediately before him leaving was pitiful. He had a good start on the big Well defender but appeared to be running in treacle as the big man easily out paced him over 20m or so. It was sad to watch.

He's done. Never had pace at Premiership level. Don't know how many times I've said it tbh. Its was the same when Kearney was here. How he was ever offered 3 years is beyond me. He is on his way out no doubt about it

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Some people actually listen to the radio on matchday. :lol:

Well yeah I was following by a mixture of radio & online - I only watch Sportscene when we win or draw, rarely watch any of the other matches & never the OF - that's the way I roll!

33 minutes ago, antrin said:

Lots of slack passes today.

Most disappointed I've been with Fraser.  Not a good game from him.  Ethan could have gone off earlier.  Looked knackered and his passing was suffering from that, too.

Erwin today was maybe not as bad as i usually think he is.  He did hold the ball a few times -as Obika does.

It's the slipshod passing that creates problems for themselves that I find insufferable.

If Fraser would learn how to stop crosses, manage to pass to a team mate sometimes and generally not wander about in a trance it would help everyone greatly.

27 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I think some fans have unrealistic expectations about saints, it all has to be put in comparison with previous seasons, we are playing the best football that I have seen in the last 5 years and can hold our own against any team in the league, what’s not enjoyable about that? 

Yes and that's where I am coming from.

This is like night and day compared to those seasons.

24 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
35 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
Can't believe so many on here struggled to find anything enjoyable about that today. :blink:
Maybe football at our level isn't for you guys?

I think compared to what we had been used to last couple of months today was disappointing. The massive positive is this squad has bags of character and we score plenty late goals and win a lot of points from losing positions. That in itself is a huge improvement on previous seasons. Today we didn't play well but we dug in and earned our point. To say it was an enjoyable watch though is stretching things a bit.

I think the problem is that too many people are too quick to forget the level of football we've been treated to over the last few seasons. Performances during our 12 match unbeaten run has bred a little bit of an entitlement complex IMO.

24 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
36 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
Can't believe so many on here struggled to find anything enjoyable about that today. :blink:
Maybe football at our level isn't for you guys?

Maybe your cooler and more uber intelligent than the rest of us. 

I'm not cooler. There are some pretty intelligent chaps on here but I would agree that I was one of them.

Thanks for that. Brought a tear to my eye.

9 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:
33 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
No drama Obika and Mason injured. Goody says Obika a week or two but Mason more serious

That being the case possible Mason won't get recalled this window.

Do you really think Coventry want him back ?

7 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

If Fraser would learn how to stop crosses, manage to pass to a team mate sometimes and generally not wander about in a trance it would help everyone greatly.

Fraser played very well today. He was essentially covering two positions - right back and right wing.

He was up and down the pitch all day, causing problems when he did so. Could have snatched a goal too.

1 minute ago, santaponsasaint said:
25 minutes ago, Wilbur said:
Pass on my regards to Travis.
emoji240.png

Be hard he died on the 27th July. But thanks.

Sorry Gary, obviously I didn't know that. That'll be a wound re-opened. Apologies. 

I think the problem we have just now is Erahon has gone right off the boil. How Jim  cant see it baffles me our down turn in form started when he went off the boil JDH and Jamie Mcgrath needs someone who's going to Contribute we are basicly a man short there. 

1 minute ago, elvis said:

I think the problem we have just now is Erahon has gone right off the boil. How Jim  cant see it baffles me our down turn in form started when he went off the boil JDH and Jamie Mcgrath needs someone who's going to Contribute we are basicly a man short there. 

Ethan has so much potential - and is one for the future.

However, it is time that Flynn, MacPherson and Foley got the chance to take the pressure off him while in this dip in form.

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

Agreed. When Ethen is struggling to get into the game he gets deeper and deeper and ends up playing beside Jake which is useless.  When Well were on top we really needed someone to try and get us further up the pitch but we made it difficult for ourselves.

1 hour ago, magnus said:

Thought Erwin looked better when playing alongside Brophy. Not scary dangerous but tidy.

He was absolutely dreadful before that.

However, he did actually begin to look like something resembling a football player when Brophy came on and was much better.

Also, agree with other comments regarding Fraser and Connolly. We actually got lot a lot of space down the right hand side today, but their passing/final ball was appalling.

With that quality of service, Mo Salah could have up front for us today and not had sniff of goal.<_<

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Been a very good game.

Both teams look dangerous on the attack.

Erwin is playing very well here and our wingers are causing problems.

Only some last gasp defending by Motherwell has kept them ahead.

Glad Hesgoal was working ok for you  👍

Reckon a point each is fair.

No penalty in my view.

Think this league is showing there is very little between most of the teams apart from the bigots.

1 point more away from the bottom 2 clubs. 

Poor performance, a bit of a worry we are nowhere near the level we know these players are capable of. My thoughts 
- Erwin, although much better with a partner up top isn't the level we need, he's had enough time now to show his worth and sadly has not in the main part (get he won the penalty). Wouldn't be surprised to see him fall out the team with new signings
- Very soft penalty, wee bit of luck on that 
- Wide players need to be doing more, Motherwell had that well scouted, thought Durmus changed the game regarding an attacking threat
- Defence again looking shaky, could have been game over in the first half, would like to see a new CB during the window and an option to press Fraser 

Yet another lining up for a cheap shot at Erwin.
Get behind him FFS... Supporters do that, you know. Support and encourage.
He played well overall and had some lovely touches.
Much more to come from the lad.
Boo boy!

6 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

emoji42.pngemoji42.pngemoji42.pngemoji42.pngemoji42.png
Yet another lining up for a cheap shot at Erwin.
Get behind him FFS... Supporters do that, you know. Support and encourage.
He played well overall and had some lovely touches.
Much more to come from the lad.
Boo boy!

Encouraged and had his back for a long time, hoped he’d come good but now we have other options I don’t see him getting much game time. 

Lost count of the number of times he needlessly game the ball away today.