Welcome Eamonn Brophy

This clamour for Shaughnessy to step in a save us is getting out of hand.

He's played 6 complete games in which we've won 1, drawn 1 and lost 4, conceding 11 goals.

He's been a bit part player in another 5 games which, to be fair to him, it would be unfair to include the stats from these games. 

It seems it's mostly another stick to beat the manager with from the same old faces. 

Edited by faraway saint

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

He's played 6 complete games in which we've won 1, drawn 1 and lost 4, conceding 11 goals.

He's been a bit part player in another 5 games which, to be fair to him, it would be unfair to include the stats from these games. 

It seems it's mostly another stick to beat the manager with from the same old faces. 

Hmmm. Those stats don’t make great reading, but I must admit, I’m in the bring back Joe camp (and I like the manager).

I just think he brings a calmness to the defence that the others don’t and when needs must, he’s more of a threat in forward areas too.

I’d be interested to know what those 5 losses were and whether any of them were particularly his fault?

11 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Hmmm. Those stats don’t make great reading, but I must admit, I’m in the bring back Joe camp (and I like the manager).

I just think he brings a calmness to the defence that the others don’t and when needs must, he’s more of a threat in forward areas too.

I’d be interested to know what those 5 losses were and whether any of them were particularly his fault?

While im the last person, as a rule, to point the finger at players, its being touted that he's our saviour, which he clearly hasn't been in games he's played.

Im not against him playing but its clearly being used by a few who can't wait to undermine the manager. 

PS Overall I like him playing, if only for the opposition commentators pronouncing his name in a ludicrus way. 🤣

Edited by faraway saint

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While im the last person, as a rule, to point the finger at players, its being touted that he's our saviour, which he clearly hasn't been in games he's played.

Im not against him playing but its clearly being used by a few who can't wait to undermine the manager. 

PS Overall I like him playing, if only for the opposition commentators pronouncing his name in a ludicrus way. 🤣

I don't think it's just about getting him back in the team, it also allow Goic to play in midfield 

5 minutes ago, fmckinn said:

I don't think it's just about getting him back in the team, it also allow Goic to play in midfield 

That's a reasonable point which, in theory. could make things better but as most of us know it's not all about what we do, there are another 11 players on the other team that can influence things no matter what we do. 

The games Gocic has played in midfield, 4, we've lost 3 and drawn 1. 

Edited by faraway saint

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The same old faces that have turned Brophy into a striker akin to the quality of Erling Haaland.

You could set your clock, when they'll post to have a go at the club.:lol:

Edited by FTOF

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

That's a reasonable point which, in theory. could make things better but as most of us know it's not all about what we do, there are another 11 players on the other team that can influence things no matter what we do. 

The games Gocic has played in midfield, 4, we've lost 3 and drawn 1. 

all about opinions bud

On 2/27/2023 at 6:57 AM, faraway saint said:

Playing Celtic away Was one of the games. Listen I think he deserves a chance and when I see him I feel he brings something to the team. The manager does a tremendous job it’s not anything against him at all. 

On 2/27/2023 at 12:39 PM, faraway saint said:

Nobody said he was a saviour but he’s better at centre half than others in the team in my opinion 

4 hours ago, norrie82 said:

Nobody said he was a saviour but he’s better at centre half than others in the team in my opinion 

I'd agree.  The currently unavailable Declan Gallagher is our first choice central defender and Charles Dunne plays better alongside him.  It is reasonable to suggest that Joe Shaughnessy, who has generally been a very good central defender over the ENTIRETY of his time with us should be stepping in there when fit and available.  It also seems true that Gogic has, over the ENTIRETY of his time at the club been a very good central midfielder who has stepped up the pecking order since Erhahon's departure only to be played in central defence where he is less effective.  Using stats from a handful of games as a way of saying other people aren't looking at the bigger picture seems counter-intuitive to me, but there you go!

It's not unreasonable for anyone to look at the fact that Shaughnessy is not getting a game in his core position and consider that this is MAYBE down to factors other than just ability and saying that is not necessarily criticism of a manager who considered a question and decided the answer is Richard Taylor.  It's OK for fans to suggest that the manager should maybe be a bit more flexible in the use of his playbook.

I'd rather see Shaughnessy play alongside Fraser and Dunne and for Small to be dropped in favour of someone with more composure

Incidentally, I am overdue in saying that Ryan Flynn is a welcome sight in the first team again and if we have to go with a back 4 then maybe he is a better fit there than Gogic and definitely more worthy of a start anywhere than Small or RT.  The number of times that Small squandered possession put the midfield and the defence under more pressue than we needed to be against that team with only 10 men.  I also want to say that I didn't notice who did the job on the day, but it was great to keep Clark so quiet all afternoon as he seems to relish getting one over on us.

https://news.stv.tv/sport/stephen-robinson-admits-he-craves-creativity-after-perth-stalemate?fbclid=IwAR0cGKWJXFbkSStIhyIqqH0c-GCHOufqvf0zzfB5R5pX0fVjnSvLnkDea1M

There you go!  It's bcause we dont have Ronaldo

We had Brophy and some seem to think it is great he is off to county to get match-fitness, but that seems puzzling if he was moved on to free up cash and space for the somewhat less than fit Tony Watt.  Jay would also be an option.  I dont understand when the manager says he cant get any creativity from the squad when he has brought in his well-ken't faces who have never fitted that bill

I hope the goal situation turns around soon for us, I love that we are sitting in the top half.  I just feel that being so heavily into a minus goal-difference situation indicates that it has not really been such a great season and the league position will change as other clubs motor past us in the run in to the split.

We had Brophy and some seem to think it is great he is off to county to get match-fitness, but that seems puzzling if he was moved on to free up cash and space for the somewhat less than fit Tony Watt.

Tony Watt was brought in AFTER the severity of the injury to Jonah was first diagnosed to be long term. No if's and not really that puzzling.

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

https://news.stv.tv/sport/stephen-robinson-admits-he-craves-creativity-after-perth-stalemate?fbclid=IwAR0cGKWJXFbkSStIhyIqqH0c-GCHOufqvf0zzfB5R5pX0fVjnSvLnkDea1M

There you go!  It's bcause we dont have Ronaldo

We had Brophy and some seem to think it is great he is off to county to get match-fitness, but that seems puzzling if he was moved on to free up cash and space for the somewhat less than fit Tony Watt.  Jay would also be an option.  I dont understand when the manager says he cant get any creativity from the squad when he has brought in his well-ken't faces who have never fitted that bill

I hope the goal situation turns around soon for us, I love that we are sitting in the top half.  I just feel that being so heavily into a minus goal-difference situation indicates that it has not really been such a great season and the league position will change as other clubs motor past us in the run in to the split.

Always looking for a negative, what a waste of energy.

Just enjoy the FACT we're winning more games than usual, we're almost never going to be a top 3 side but this season has seen performances we've not had for many a year.

If you can't enjoy this maybe time you looked for another hobby. 

11 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I'd agree.  The currently unavailable Declan Gallagher is our first choice central defender and Charles Dunne plays better alongside him.  It is reasonable to suggest that Joe Shaughnessy, who has generally been a very good central defender over the ENTIRETY of his time with us should be stepping in there when fit and available.  It also seems true that Gogic has, over the ENTIRETY of his time at the club been a very good central midfielder who has stepped up the pecking order since Erhahon's departure only to be played in central defence where he is less effective.  Using stats from a handful of games as a way of saying other people aren't looking at the bigger picture seems counter-intuitive to me, but there you go!

It's not unreasonable for anyone to look at the fact that Shaughnessy is not getting a game in his core position and consider that this is MAYBE down to factors other than just ability and saying that is not necessarily criticism of a manager who considered a question and decided the answer is Richard Taylor.  It's OK for fans to suggest that the manager should maybe be a bit more flexible in the use of his playbook.

I'd rather see Shaughnessy play alongside Fraser and Dunne and for Small to be dropped in favour of someone with more composure

Incidentally, I am overdue in saying that Ryan Flynn is a welcome sight in the first team again and if we have to go with a back 4 then maybe he is a better fit there than Gogic and definitely more worthy of a start anywhere than Small or RT.  The number of times that Small squandered possession put the midfield and the defence under more pressue than we needed to be against that team with only 10 men.  I also want to say that I didn't notice who did the job on the day, but it was great to keep Clark so quiet all afternoon as he seems to relish getting one over on us.

Agree with much of this but is it the St Mirren way trying to squeeze square pegs in to round holes, if playing a back three with a holding midfielder then Joe (who to be fair has had a few brain farts in the past let's not forget) should be in the 3 if Gallacher isn't available, Gogic is a midfielder first and foremost and we need that solidity in the middle to allow players like Baccus and O'Hara to do their thing, what we really lack is someone to take on the role that Durmus used to do for us and to a certain extent Tate did that before his injury, maybe with those pieces in place we'll see the forwards net more regularly, clearly the budget has hampered what Robinson wanted to do and we've been unlucky with Ayunga's injury just at the wrong time. Still think we're in a better place than we've been for many a year. 

• 1 month later...

With him going off injured yesterday and not looking good for him, what would happen if he was out for the season ?

Would Ross C still have to continue paying whatever they are paying or would we need to pick up his full wages  ?

Hopefully for him as well as us, the injury is not as bad as i fear and he is back playing with Ross C soon. 

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

With him going off injured yesterday and not looking good for him, what would happen if he was out for the season ?

Would Ross C still have to continue paying whatever they are paying or would we need to pick up his full wages  ?

Hopefully for him as well as us, the injury is not as bad as i fear and he is back playing with Ross C soon. 

He signed a loan agreement till the end of the season so the onus is on RC to pay there share of the deal,

Shame about the injury though, he was starting to come into a bit of form, he also looked really upset as he walked off so looks like it could be a pretty bad one..