St Johnstone v St Mirren Sat 16th Jan 2021

2 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

WTF was the tactics there? Saw the team and thought we were going 2 up front then Erwin (our least mobile/effective) striker out wide !!! Either 2 up front or Durmus /MacAllister out wide not Erwin

Hey Gosport buddie we’ll need to meet up my son lives in Gosport 

5 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Sounds like Goody done his norm. Hang for a 0,0. And maybe sneak a goal. That defeat has been coming for a few weeks. He brings in attacking players and were still defensive.

We need a creative midfielder Gary. 

JDH, Erhahon, Foley and MacPherson all play similar roles. JDH actually started his time with us in a deep playmaker role but we seem to be morphing him into that guy who sits in front of defenders and passes it 10 yards sideways. At the start he was always looking for openings ahead of him and for some reason, we don't want him doing that now and it's strangling us.

If they insist on JDH being that guy then it's time to get Ryan Flynn back in the team to proved a bit of attacking intent in the middle of the park that is looking increasing soft as shite defensively as well as attacking.

Edited by djchapsticks

Another very poor display, no pass-marks for any outfield player. Need to get their act together or surely Goody will be giving some of the fringe players a chance. Obika, Foley, Flynn, Durmus must be so frustrated sitting on the bench with recent performances... Is this allowed or is BEK going to burst a blood vessel again. :whistle

We've been off form last couple of games and managed to get draws, but it caught up with us today. Disappointed with the midfield again. Thought Cammy would be better but he and McGrath were outplayed. JDH also off the boil.

Like some others, would have brought Durmus on rather than the new lad. He didn't have much chance to get into the game before being crocked by Davidson, which was predictable. Need better tactics for the cup-tie. Livi are red-hot at the moment.

59 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I don’t know?

Because blind pointless optimism isn’t good for the soul?

I beg to differ.

What's bad for the soul is allowing despair to settle in when times are tough.

The ability to remain positive when all others around you are losing their shit is very good for the soul.

We are only a few points from 6th place with several games in hand and half a season to play.

It's hardly time to start giving up.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I beg to differ.

The ability to remain positive when all others around you are losing their shit is very good for the soul.

We are only a few points from 6th place with several games in hand and half a season to play.

It's hardly time to start giving up.

Aye, but if you actually WATCHED the game, or understood football, you'd realise it's not like that in the real world.

You need something to back up REAL belief.

It's more about performances, skill, talent and a good manager, you and your "How to be Positive" books won't really help. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, but if you actually WATCHED the game, or understood football, you'd realise it's not like that in the real world.

You need something to back up REAL belief.

It's more about performances, skill, talent and a good manager, you and your "How to be Positive" books won't really help. 

This is just wittering pish from start to finish from a man terrified of taking risks in case he fails.

I have seen this script before. Countless times from the same type of people. JK Rowling called them Dementors.

Stay miserable if you like. Dwell in whatever pit of despair you feel like. Pretend your negativity and fear of being emotionally hurt is "realism" if you like. 

Me? I'm off to enjoy a nice peaceful evening. No dementors allowed.

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, oaksoft said:

This is just wittering pish from start to finish from a man terrified of taking risks in case he fails.

Stay miserable if you like. Dwell i. whatever pit of despair you feel like. Pretend your negativity and fear of being emotionally hurt is "realism" if you like. 

Me? I'm off to enjoy a nice peaceful evening.

I've taken many risks in life, unlike you I've worked in the real world and amongst people, not some socially inadequate who only mixes with his family.

You don't have a CLUE about real life, football or anything to do with reality.

Shuffle off with your cocoa, that's about as exciting as it gets for you. :byebye

We need a creative midfielder Gary. 

JDH, Erhahon, Foley and MacPherson all play similar roles. JDH actually started his time with us in a deep playmaker role but we seem to be morphing him into that guy who sits in front of defenders and passes it 10 yards sideways. At the start he was always looking for openings ahead of him and for some reason, we don't want him doing that now and it's strangling us.
If they insist on JDH being that guy then it's time to get Ryan Flynn back in the team to proved a bit of attacking intent in the middle of the park that is looking increasing soft as shite defensively as well as attacking.
All good points.. our goalie and defence are solid but Jim needs to find a system that suits the midfield and strikers. Bar some rare flashes we are still struggling to score or even threaten to in most games.

Foley and Flynn must be due a shot in the middle as we are pedestrian at best in there most weeks, I agree totally re your point about JDH.

I can only assume they are not fit to play as they are very rarely even seen off the bench now?

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

How is it Goodwin that's struggling, surely it should read the team is struggling ?

I'd suggest the whole team, including the manager, are struggling.

We're back where we were before our mini run of form, which was a great wee spell.

There's still plenty of time, a semi final to look forward to, win that and the spirits will be lifted again, not just some empty words from Oaky about positivity. 

We lose that, and we're back in the shit, a long hard season ahead IMO. 

Top 6. :lol:

That was poor from pretty much start to finish today. Had a decent spell of possession after we went down to 10 men, but did heehaw with it. Don't think the fermers keeper had a save of any note to make the whole 90 mins.

Time for Goodwin to show us what he's made of, and try halt the poor run of form. If the players cant lift themselves for a cup semi, then there's something up. 

Livi are obviously on a great run, but not unbeatable providing we get the starting lineup right.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I've taken many risks in life, unlike you I've worked in the real world and amongst people, not some socially inadequate who only mixes with his family.

You don't have a CLUE about real life, football or anything to do with reality.

Shuffle off with your cocoa, that's about as exciting as it gets for you. :byebye

Your denial is your problem, not mine.

BTW, it's brandy.

Not cocoa.

In a proper crystal brandy glass.

In front of a roaring fire.

With no dementors to suck the life out of me.

It really doesn't get much better than that.

I think the biggest problem is our style of play.
Up until they sat back when we went down to 10 the vast majority of the game was played in our half. This was at least partly due to the game plans of the two managers.
Most of our possession was trying to short pass our way into their half which is both risky when being pressed and turgid to watch.
This has been a problem for about a month now and I think we need to adjust tactics or we are in for another relegation battle.
It’s difficult to create chances when the ball is in your own half.
We will have the same problem next week against Livi.

27 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

We have not played well since 16 December v Sevco.

It's the St Mirren way.

Today confirmed that we are a bottom (rather than top) six club unless we can improve with the new signings finding their feet.

Since 16 December, we have been fortunate to pick up the few points we have.

Correct

It's as if we peaked

There hasn't been any hunger or energy in our midfield or attack

We are 2nd to every ball

Certain players who Jim has faith in are letting him down

We have now a decent squad and changes are needed as we know Livi are hungry and full of confidence and energy

That was a another dreadful performance and our luck ran out to get a result from it

4 minutes ago, La Roche Derriere said:

I think the biggest problem is our style of play.
Up until they sat back when we went down to 10 the vast majority of the game was played in our half. This was at least partly due to the game plans of the two managers.
Most of our possession was trying to short pass our way into their half which is both risky when being pressed and turgid to watch.
This has been a problem for about a month now and I think we need to adjust tactics or we are in for another relegation battle.
It’s difficult to create chances when the ball is in your own half.
We will have the same problem next week against Livi.

One thing for sure we won't get out our own half in my honest opinion it will be 3 or 4 nil and Goody will say we were unlucky. 

Edited by elvis