St Johnstone v St Mirren Sat 16th Jan 2021

9 minutes ago, La Roche Derriere said:

I think the biggest problem is our style of play.
Up until they sat back when we went down to 10 the vast majority of the game was played in our half. This was at least partly due to the game plans of the two managers.
Most of our possession was trying to short pass our way into their half which is both risky when being pressed and turgid to watch.
This has been a problem for about a month now and I think we need to adjust tactics or we are in for another relegation battle.
It’s difficult to create chances when the ball is in your own half.
We will have the same problem next week against Livi.

Yep also predictable. We need to very our tactics sometimes

Another horrendous performance and tactics again by Goodwin: set out for bore fest and 0-0 but will blame McPherson sending off as reason which didn't help but not the reason: last 3 league games a think we have had one shot on target,:you can bring in all the strikers you want but when you have Goodwin sharp or McManus or Webster or langfield as main coaches at club and neither could hit a cows arse wi a banjo then we fukd if there teaching or coaching strikers:except gers cup game we have been brutal for long time:changes must be made and fast:get Thompson in as striker coach or big basher as this isn't working 

I agree with most of the sentiments about recent performances. We have brought in two strikers but we are crying out for a midfield that can supply in the final third. We are ending up with players on the park whose attributes are too similar and as a result we are keeping possession without a cutting edge. Disappointing as felt we were heading in right direction up until the quarter final was finished 

2 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

I agree with most of the sentiments about recent performances. We have brought in two strikers but we are crying out for a midfield that can supply in the final third. We are ending up with players on the park whose attributes are too similar and as a result we are keeping possession without a cutting edge. Disappointing as felt we were heading in right direction up until the quarter final was finished 

Still set up not to lose

Ross County getting a result we can only dream about with a positive approach

How they laughed about Yogi

Plus points today for the benefit of Oaky who was apparently reading a book so cannot comment on our performance today.

Defensively again we were ok.

Midfield not creative enough in the opposition half - but Erhahon looked more like his old self when he came on. McGrath was again our top midfield performer - but he needs more support. Flynn and Foley must now get their chance to prove their worth.

Thought Brophy showed he is an improvement on what we have witnessed so far up front. Erwin played well, showed plenty of effort and linked up quite well with Brophy. Quaner also looked promising until his early retiral - hope his injury is not too serious.

I think the biggest problem is our style of play.
Up until they sat back when we went down to 10 the vast majority of the game was played in our half. This was at least partly due to the game plans of the two managers.
Most of our possession was trying to short pass our way into their half which is both risky when being pressed and turgid to watch.
This has been a problem for about a month now and I think we need to adjust tactics or we are in for another relegation battle.
It’s difficult to create chances when the ball is in your own half.
We will have the same problem next week against Livi.
I never saw it today but every moan I read was about aimless punts and high balls. Your is a totally different take (and not saying your wrong).

I don't know about anyone else but I reckon it's time that someone higher up at club has a word with JG & co. Not being funny but the club have backed him to bring better players in, even recently and to go and play a team no better than ourselves really and try to grind out a result is quite frankly crap. Player wise, probably best group I have seen for a while and are capable of much better.

In saying that, wouldn't surprise me if we go and beat livi. It is saints after all.

And ban all talk of top 6 for christ sake, gives them a breakdown by looks of it.

2 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Plus points today for the benefit of Oaky who was apparently reading a book so cannot comment on our performance today.

Midfield not creative enough in the opposition half - but Erhahon looked more like his old self when he came on. McGrath was again our top midfield performer - but he needs more support. Flynn and Foley must now get their chance to prove their worth.

Thought Brophy showed he is an improvement on what we have witnessed so far up front. Erwin played well, showed plenty of effort and linked up quite well with Brophy. Quaner also looked promising until his early retiral - hope his injury is not too serious.

The problem for Foley and especially Flynn is match fitness

Next week we are up against a team that's in your face

Hoefully like 2013 we are saving our best form for the cup

7 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Erwin played well?

he was absolutely rotten yet again pathetic performance no one played well today.

tactics were all wrong no one at all on the left even tait had a poor game since he was out there on his own all game.

Playing Erwin left wing really is crazy I’d even struggle to give him a place on the bench never mind play him there.

1 hour ago, belfast billy said:

We played well second half and it was two terrible ref decisions hand ball leading up to the goal and the red card was a joke

I’m sorry mate, I’m honestly not having a go at you specifically but I hate this type of naive view.
We did not play well in the second half. We were as dreadful in the second half as we were in the first. The only difference was that after going one nil up and us going down to 10, St. Johnstone just gave us the ball to play with. Ordinarily you would say that was a dangerous game to play, but they were safe in the knowledge that we couldn’t lay a glove on them. We did absolutely nothing in the second half. Not once did we test Clark or make any sort of chance worthy of note.

It was a horrendous performance and Elvis is bang on when he says if we play like that next week, Livingston will absolutely destroy us.  Hopefully we will buck our ideas up. 

Just now, Helmettroll said:

No getting away from the fact we were pretty shit today, but it was a definite hand ball that lead too there goal and I don't think any of Cammy's tackles were yellow cards, in saying that we didn't deserve anything today..... Improvement needed quickly, defeat next week and our season could turn too shit again..

Agree but you must be a bit thick to do such tackle when on a yellow: fukin clown if you ask me:sorry but sick of us absolutely playing shit against every c**t except rangers: seething at last week's performance and when you think cannot get worse ...

We are back to where we were before we beat Aberdeen, poor performances, baffling tactics and a manager who doesn't have a clue how to go out and win a game.

Some have short memories, there were plenty of folk saying Goodwin was on a shoogly peg.

I said then, and I'm still the same, it's too early for that talk BUT if we lose next week the shit will hit the fan as the semi final has kept the feelgood factor amongst many.

We surely can't win another game with a massive bit of luck? 

Agree - left wing is not Erwin's best position - but he gave effort and stayed on his feet most of the time - unlike Obika who probably has more raw talent but struggles to get off the seated position when tackled.

Agree also tactics did not help - we were again too cautious going forward. We seem to model our style of play on Alf Ramsey's World Cup-winning team - two to the side and one back. That's me giving my age away.

Edited by northstbuddie

Just now, portmahomack saint said:

Sounds like the game was as bad as the last time up there... 

So how would you like to spend the rest of January and February 

A.  In total lockdown with only the South Bank Show on TV

or 

B. Watching us play the fakes in Perth for the next 6 Saturdays 

Murder she wrote or columbo on a Saturday or come dine wi me is far superior viewing than that pish flaps on st.mirren TV 

3 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Sounds like the game was as bad as the last time up there... 

So how would you like to spend the rest of January and February 

A.  In total lockdown with only the South Bank Show on TV

or 

B. Watching us play the fakes in Perth for the next 6 Saturdays 

I was about to say - after today's performance back to lockdown for some light relief!

To counter all the borderline suicidal posts on here, can I just point out a wee inconvenient dose of reality.

We have lost just 3 games in the last 17.

We are just a few points from the top 6 with several games in hand and are in our best league position in years.

We are in a national Cup semi-final next week having beaten f**king Rangers to get there.

We just won our appeal this week,

Some of you buggers are starting to sound exactly like the entitled OF firms we have spent decades laughing at.

It's embarassing to read this thread at the moment.

Theere you go @faraway saint, you asked for positivity drenched in reality and there it is in all it's glory. No doubt you'll suck the life out of it with a whole heap of "Aye buts" cos it's in your nature to complain about the molecule of shite in a bucket of gold. Fill yer boots.

ETA. Oh and all this shite about poor performances is nonsense. Form is temporary. Just look at Ross County today for an example of how quickly things can change. Look at Livingston as well.

Edited by oaksoft

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To counter all the borderline suicidal posts on here, can I just point out a wee inconvenient dose of reality.

We are just a few points from the top 6 with several games in hand and are in our best league position in years.

We are in a national Cup semi-final next week having beaten f**king Rangers to get there.

Some of you buggers are starting to sound exactly like the entitled OF firms we have spent decades laughing at.

Theere you go @faraway saint, you asked for positivity drenched in reality and there it is in all it's glory. No doubt you'll suck the life out of it with a whole heap of "Aye buts" cos it's in your nature to complain about the molecule of shite in a bucket of gold. Fill yer boots.

To counter your usual waffle.....................

In them 17 games 4 were against diddy teams, we won 2 and drew 2

In the remaining games we've won 3 league games.

We're just a few points from the bottom of the league.

We won an appeal? :wink:

Again, you have no idea how football supporters see games, as you have never been to a St Mirren game.................you have been asked to prove if you have numerous times, I expect you'll ignore this as usual, no worries, takes all types, although what brings you to a football forum is beyond me.

Now, I need to go, just polished off our delivery of food and have started on the cocktails.

Life's hard, having a laugh, you stick to your dreary uneventful fantasy of a life. 

52 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Form is temporary. Just look at Ross County today for an example of how quickly things can change. Look at Livingston as well.

Livingston have won 8 from the last 9, including a draw against Celtic. 

Most football supporters would call that FORM, and not so temporary. 

Clueless just about covers you. 🤡

PS Ross County winning today doesn't constitute form, ya roaster. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

52 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

ETA. Oh and all this shite about poor performances is nonsense. Form is temporary. Just look at Ross County today for an example of how quickly things can change. Look at Livingston as well.

Stop being so positive it will never catch on :whistle  

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, the loonball says we can be 3rd. 🤡

Has he watched us.....................oh, his radio tells him a different story. :lol:

How sad.

A dude pulling rank because he watches football on a television.

The same dude who has never been in any St Mirren Park ever.

Suppose I deserve his gloating as I can only listen to Open Aw Mics while driving my Cab.

What a pauper I am :lol: