St Johnstone v St Mirren Sat 16th Jan 2021

Agree with other comments regarding our style of play, to me we give ourselves a mountain to climb before the first whistle some weeks.

We are happy to play football between our CB's and JDH but once we step forward teams press us and we shell it long. It looked to me like Brophy was signed to provide an option for those long balls that are overhit and go behind the opposition defence.

Hopefully we start passing forwards and pressing teams as no team in this league outside the big 2 warrant any respect.

Edited by W6Saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Livingston have won 8 from the last 9, including a draw against Celtic. 

Most football supporters would call that FORM, and not so temporary. 

Clueless just about covers you. 🤡

PS Ross County winning today doesn't constitute form, ya roaster. :lol:

I don't think there's much between any of the bottom eight clubs and in any given H2H the team who scores first rarely loses - there's gonna be a lot of six pointers between now and the end of the season.

It was less than two months ago that Holt resigned after we beat them saying he didn't think he could take them forward, in fact only having watched them when they play us I can't see how why they are comfortably above us in the Table. :wacko:

Moving onto the cup I expect a tough game next Sunday (I checked :rolleyes:) but I don't feel we're going into it as underdogs and if we play to the top of our form (always a big if) I feel we'll win

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

In any league in the world that is outstanding regardless of the opposition. Martindale has performed his miracles once again taking an average bunch of players and turning them into winners. That guy has turned his life around. Drug charities in Scotland should be using his experience and knowledge in prisons up and down the country. He knows he did wrong and accepted his punishment, but has since transformed himself and his local club. 

I 100% agree with your post and nice to see someone acknowledge his achievement. He is a great example of how to get back on the right road.

Would like to hope that when he faces the tough times in football going forward that he handles them correctly and bounces back

Edited by lenziebud

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't think there's much between any of the bottom six clubs and in any given H2H the team who scores first rarely loses - there's gonna be aa lot of six pointers between now and the end of the season.

It was less than two months ago that Holt resigned after we beat them saying he didn't think he could take them forward, in fact only having watched them when they play us I can't see how why they are comfortably above us in the Table.

Moving onto the cup I expect a tough game next Sunday (I checked :rolleyes:) but I don't feel we're going into it as underdogs and if we play to the top of our form (always a big if) I feel we'll win

I agree, so it comes down, IMO, to how the manager/team approach games.

THIS could be our downfall as Goodwin, as I said earlier, doesn't, overall, seem to know how to go out and win a game or pressure our opponents enough.

IF we get back to our form, that means more than one game @oaksoft, we hit before and including the Rangers cup game, yeah, we should be ok.

Ok doesn't mean top 6 in any way IMO, just means safety before the split. 

Whilst I am not in any way saying that livi are a better team on paper to us, they are a more consistent club. What do I mean by that? For one, they have had a manager for years albeit in background until recently with Gary Holt fronting it. Martindale has always stated he didn't want his past from getting in way of team and would only consider job when time was right. Secondly they didn't have mass recruitment of players twice a season, which does look ridiculous when you look back along with the revolving managerial door. They also get the best out of what they have.

Anyway enough about them.

I have had a look at Jim Goodwins  saints career with us and if you take away cup win, every season bar 1 was all about grinding out results and staying up. Not being funny but it must play on how you eventually approach games and what you have been used to.

Not a dig at Danny  Lennon at all as was done with very little financial support and taking chances on players which is commendable. Poor guy was on a hiding to nothing even with winning cup, if you look at interviews after final with lennon and gilmour it was hardly a happy set up.

It would be wrong to over react after today. The performance was extremely poor and very simelar to the loss in Perth at the end of August. I think it’s clear that whilst Erwin might be good in the box he does not have the mobility that is required to lead the line effectively. Obika is a much more difficult opponent and his fast feet and trickery always have defenders on their toes. What I don’t understand is that today our main goal scorer was left on the bench and afforded a mere six minutes of play. It’s unbelievable that Jim felt he didn’t need to add some movement to the attack and bring on someone who at times is capable of holding the ball up. Granted he isn’t brilliant at it but he wins fouls and he can do this role. Our midfield too is another area that we need to look at. McGrath apart the rest seem quite content to pass the pass side ways and back the way whilst never really hurting the opposition. We were passive in both our previous outings at Kilmarnock and last week at home to Motherwell. Doyle Hayes is a class operator but he needs to have people willing to run and take us up the park. 

Too often lately our play has been predictable and far too slow. we haven’t been able to get Connolly on the ball and isolate the full back that will allow him the opportunity to create for us. Get him in behind like he did in the cup win against Rangers. Durmus too can offer width and whilst he is hot and cold he does deliver good balls at times and with Brophy in the box I’d think he will be recalled. The point being though that we don’t seem to want to play offensive at times and today we played a side that hadn’t won in 10 matches yet they’re unlikely to get an easier game all season. So where are we now? 

There is no doubt that on our day we are competing in most games. The defensive side has been good and our goalie is having a great season. We do have players who can create but too often the final ball is poor or the team is set up far too cautiously. If we look at next week’s opponents Livingston have went on a tremendous run since they lost to us on November 21st. They are a team that are t bogged down with history . They don’t go into games worrying about the opposition in the way that we do. I don’t know about you but I have been feeling nervous in each of our previous three games because I haven’t seen a team that’s aggressive or in the oppositions faces - I’ve seen a team standing off and looking devoid of the creative spark that they held for a few weeks prior to Christmas . Livingston just go at teams they have no fear they have players that are at it every single week and a side that has went from being relegation candidates to top five in the blink of an eye. They are enjoying a run of form that somehow we can only dream of. These other teams seem able to go on winning runs or have seasons when they are consistently winning games against teams of a similar stature. We haven’t did this for many years and I can’t remember us ever having brilliant runs since we played in the newly formed SPL / SPFL premiership. The manager has been backed in the market and now he needs to find a way of challenging those other teams all battling to break free from the almost inevitable relegation fight.  A few weeks ago it looked like we might finally have that consistency but it’s not on the same level as what Livingston have achieved. 

Theyll be favourites alright next week and quite rightly so. Can Jim put out a team capable of being as aggressive and offensive as they will. Can we match them and the belief they will have ? I hope so and it would be foolish to rule us out but what is clear is that we will need to be at our very best to  make the final. How often do you play in a semi final ? Not often and we need to make sure it doesn’t pass us bye this time. 

COYS

13 hours ago, Yflab said:

In any league in the world that is outstanding regardless of the opposition. Martindale has performed his miracles once again taking an average bunch of players and turning them into winners. That guy has turned his life around. Drug charities in Scotland should be using his experience and knowledge in prisons up and down the country. He knows he did wrong and accepted his punishment, but has since transformed himself and his local club. 

Going by his accent it's not his local club

I will say he has done an outstanding job for YEARS at Livingston

But i won't be heaping praise on him

I’ve not seen any full games, only the few minutes of highlights we get at the end of sportscene, and even skip that like yesterday when we lose. Consequently I’m not as qualified to comment as many of the experts on here. Rather glad though not to be witnessing such a poor goals return yet again, it’s pretty demoralising and even with what should be a looked forward to semi final approaching, I feel our opponents are a much better team. I can only hope we are able to avoid relegation and try to improve for next season when I might be able to get back inside the ground. Good luck for next Sunday as well.

18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

In them 17 games 4 were against diddy teams, we won 2 and drew 2

In the remaining games we've won 3 league games.

We're just a few points from the bottom of the league.

And there are the "Aye buts".

Honestly how do you get out of bed each day?

Find some joy in your life FFS.

ETA. I will say nothing about the phrase "In them 17 games". The forum has @antrin for that.

Edited by oaksoft

16 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Whilst I am not in any way saying that livi are a better team on paper to us, they are a more consistent club. What do I mean by that? For one, they have had a manager for years albeit in background until recently with Gary Holt fronting it. Martindale has always stated he didn't want his past from getting in way of team and would only consider job when time was right. Secondly they didn't have mass recruitment of players twice a season, which does look ridiculous when you look back along with the revolving managerial door. They also get the best out of what they have.

Anyway enough about them.

I have had a look at Jim Goodwins  saints career with us and if you take away cup win, every season bar 1 was all about grinding out results and staying up. Not being funny but it must play on how you eventually approach games and what you have been used to.

Not a dig at Danny  Lennon at all as was done with very little financial support and taking chances on players which is commendable. Poor guy was on a hiding to nothing even with winning cup, if you look at interviews after final with lennon and gilmour it was hardly a happy set up.

Why on earth would you take away the Cup win?

How many Cups have Livi won in the last 8 years?

How many years have they been in the top flight in the last 15 years?

How does that compare to us?

If you really want to talk about consistency then let's start with those questions.

Edited by oaksoft

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And there are the "Aye buts".

Honestly how do you get out of bed each day?

Find some joy in your life FFS.

ETA. I will say nothing about the phrase "In them 17 games". The forum has @antrin for that.

I'm fine getting out of bed, I have friends and family, what's the point in your life?

"Them" is deliberate ya walloper. 😂😂😂

46 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Why on earth would you take away the Cup win?

How many Cups have Livi won in the last 8 years?

How many years have they been in the top flight in the last 15 years?

How does that compare to us?

If you really want to talk about consistency then let's start with those questions.

I'm not belittling the cup win for gods sake, the point I was trying to make is that they have been more consistent behind scenes than we have been(granted we have got the hang of it now). What I mean by that, getting promoted to premier with what was largely made up of players from lg1 days, only replacing where needed instead of wholesale transfer window changes. And having those players believing in themselves.

If you read the original post, then you will see all I have pointed out that in JG's time as a player with us barring 1 season was a 10/11 position finish which would be a lot of grinding out results and I have no doubt that sets your outlook on how to approach games.

Do I really care how many cups etc they have won, erm naw.

Just like other saints fans baffled as to how we can be so negative with the team we have got now.

Maybe original post didn't come across clear🙁

Playing the ball penalised YET AGAIN for follow through.

Natural position for arm to be in for the ball to hit?
9 seconds later they scored the one goal of the game in a continuation of this move.

Holt and Rodgers have ploughed through our players Mason & Tait resulting in a concussion and a near snapped leg, same last season Ogboe leaving MacKenzie concussed. Not one received a card.
Either you maintain control throughout challenges or you don't.  Fed up seeing this.

stj1.JPG

st j.JPG

st j hand.JPG

14 minutes ago, Katie Bear said:

Natural position for arm to be in for the ball to hit?
9 seconds later they scored the one goal of the game in a continuation of this move.

Holt and Rodgers have ploughed through our players Mason & Tait resulting in a concussion and a near snapped leg, same last season Ogboe leaving MacKenzie concussed. Not one received a card.
Either you maintain control throughout challenges or you don't.  Fed up seeing this.

stj1.JPG

st j.JPG

st j hand.JPG

We deserved to lose !

Next match please

Edited by lenziebud