Our 'B' Team

Many of us mockingly refer to Hibs as our 'B' team - they have scavenged our manager, players, coaches and (even) kit man over recent years.

Having listened to some of the commentary on their game at Parkhead against Celtic's 'B' team where they struggled to compete positively for most of the game (until they were a goal behind), it made me wonder how many of our ex employees, wherever they are now, would be first team choices for St Mirren today (including the manager).

Obviously, John McGinn and Kenny McLean would have a chance, but who else can you think of would replace what we've got at present?

59 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Many of us mockingly refer to Hibs as our 'B' team - they have scavenged our manager, players, coaches and (even) kit man over recent years.

Having listened to some of the commentary on their game at Parkhead against Celtic's 'B' team where they struggled to compete positively for most of the game (until they were a goal behind), it made me wonder how many of our ex employees, wherever they are now, would be first team choices for St Mirren today (including the manager).

Obviously, John McGinn and Kenny McLean would have a chance, but who else can you think of would replace what we've got at present?

Is this a serious post?

You lost me at Hibs failing to compete positively tonight.

For 90% of the game Hibs were the only team that looked like getting close to scoring. The only way Celtic were ever going to score tonight was from a dead ball situation. 
Hibs were far from at their best tonight but they were still comfortably the better team. 

17 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Is this a serious post?

You lost me at Hibs failing to compete positively tonight.

For 90% of the game Hibs were the only team that looked like getting close to scoring. The only way Celtic were ever going to score tonight was from a dead ball situation. 
Hibs were far from at their best tonight but they were still comfortably the better team. 

I did not mean to lose you - sorry for that.

My main point in posting this topic is that I would seriously question whether any of our ex players would be automatic first team choices (other than McGinn and McLean) although the likes of Lewis Morgan is another who might come into that category.

11 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

I did not mean to lose you - sorry for that.

My main point in posting this topic is that I would seriously question whether any of our ex players would be automatic first team choices (other than McGinn and McLean) although the likes of Lewis Morgan is another who might come into that category.

Ok let’s look at that.

For a start, so far the only one of our ex-players currently playing for Hibs that is a regular first choice is Paul McGinn and I think would still be a starter for us. I suppose what I’m saying there is that I regard PM as better than Fraser. That is not to say Fraser hasn’t been a perfectly adequate replacement. 
Mallan, S. McGinn and Magennis (albeit early days for him) are all bit part players at Hibs. I suspect out of those three Mallan and Magennis would have a shot at being first teamers for us but far from guaranteed.

I’m not sure of the overall point though, as bar P McGinn they aren’t Hibs starters either. 

I think it is an indication of how well JG has recruited in the past year or so that the 2 McGinns, Magennis and Mallan would be probably no more than squad players and that applies also to players who went to other clubs - eg Hladky and Naismith.

It is also questionable if Ross would have done a better job as manager than Goodwin.

However, that is all conjecture and (my) opinion.

But I remember when Goodwin had the chance to go to Hibs as a player he chose to stay at St Mirren which perhaps shows he has that commitment to the club which was perhaps less evident with (Saints till I die) Ross.

Edited by northstbuddie

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

More of a Jim Goodwin Good thread.

Well first and foremost let me just say that I agree wholeheartedly with you about JG doing a great job.

However, I’m just very confused about the rationale you set out for justifying this.

Again, if you were simply saying JG had made some great signings, then I’d agree with you.

I’m not sure of the relevance of the ex-players playing for Hibs or Jack Ross for that matter. We’ve had 3 managers since he left.

I also disagree with your assessment that the 4 players in question would be “squad players at best”, the “at best” part suggesting that in your opinion they might not even be good enough to be squad players with us. I’d respectfully say that’s nonsense. Already stated my opinion that Paul McGinn would still be first choice right back for us, with Mallan and (a fit) Magennis easily at least challenging for a first team slot. Stephen McGinn is kind of irrelevant. He’s at the end of his career and I’m pretty sure JR only signed him to be a bit part player and more because he’d be a good, experienced head to have about the place. 
Jack Ross left our club a LONG time ago. I’m not sure why folk feel the need to keep referencing him. Oh, and by they way, he left our club in a far better place than he found it.

His career since then is of no relevance to us. 

11 minutes ago, Yflab said:

It may well be a quiz question in future years. Which three brothers all played for the same two clubs during their careers? 

Jack Charlton, Bobby Charlton and... er...  ...Jessica Charlton?

I'm flailing a bit, just guessing here...   :unsure:

6 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well first and foremost let me just say that I agree wholeheartedly with you about JG doing a great job.

However, I’m just very confused about the rationale you set out for justifying this.

Again, if you were simply saying JG had made some great signings, then I’d agree with you.

I’m not sure of the relevance of the ex-players playing for Hibs or Jack Ross for that matter. We’ve had 3 managers since he left.

I also disagree with your assessment that the 4 players in question would be “squad players at best”, the “at best” part suggesting that in your opinion they might not even be good enough to be squad players with us. I’d respectfully say that’s nonsense. Already stated my opinion that Paul McGinn would still be first choice right back for us, with Mallan and (a fit) Magennis easily at least challenging for a first team slot. Stephen McGinn is kind of irrelevant. He’s at the end of his career and I’m pretty sure JR only signed him to be a bit part player and more because he’d be a good, experienced head to have about the place. 
Jack Ross left our club a LONG time ago. I’m not sure why folk feel the need to keep referencing him. Oh, and by they way, he left our club in a far better place than he found it.

His career since then is of no relevance to us. 

It's you that now has me confused.

I was merely making the point in my original post that whilst Hibs seem to have had a strong hankering after our better players (and other employees) we have ended up with a squad (especially after the recent signings) after 2 years of Jim Goodwin in charge, which is just as strong as if they had stayed at St Mirren.

I would not disagree with your comments on Paul McGinn but do not consider that there is much between him and Marcus Fraser.

Nor was I suggesting that Mallan and Magennis would not be competing for places in the squad but that they would not be automatic first choices. In my opinion both Jamie McGrath and Jake Doyle-Hayes would edge them out based on current form/fitness levels.

And the reason people keep referring to Jack Ross years after he has left St Mirren is that he has had a long history of signing our players and coaches compared to those from any other club.

3 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It's you that now has me confused.

I was merely making the point in my original post that whilst Hibs seem to have had a strong hankering after our better players (and other employees) we have ended up with a squad (especially after the recent signings) after 2 years of Jim Goodwin in charge, which is just as strong as if they had stayed at St Mirren.

I would not disagree with your comments on Paul McGinn but do not consider that there is much between him and Marcus Fraser.

Nor was I suggesting that Mallan and Magennis would not be competing for places in the squad but that they would not be automatic first choices. In my opinion both Jamie McGrath and Jake Doyle-Hayes would edge them out based on current form/fitness levels.

And the reason people keep referring to Jack Ross years after he has left St Mirren is that he has had a long history of signing our players and coaches compared to those from any other club.

Without wishing to pursue this slightly pointless discussion much longer having already said everything I wanted to say, a couple of points of order.....

In respect of the first bolded statement above, I am sure that your earlier post had said they would be squad players “at best”. Looking back I can see it no longer says that although I can see the post has been edited. If I am mistaken then I humbly retract that part of my post.

Re the second bolded part, do you think the reason Ross might have signed some of our players and coaches is because he had worked with them before? It’s hardly rocket science and it’s hardly unusual. Even saying that, hasn’t he only signed two players from us? Magennis and Paul McGinn? 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Without wishing to pursue this slightly pointless discussion much longer having already said everything I wanted to say, a couple of points of order.....

In respect of the first bolded statement above, I am sure that your earlier post had said they would be squad players “at best”. Looking back I can see it no longer says that although I can see the post has been edited. If I am mistaken then I humbly retract that part of my post.

Re the second bolded part, do you think the reason Ross might have signed some of our players and coaches is because he had worked with them before? It’s hardly rocket science and it’s hardly unusual. Even saying that, hasn’t he only signed two players from us? Magennis and Paul McGinn? 

I stand corrected.

However, his current employers seem to have a predilection for anything St Mirren - John McGinn, Jason Naismith, David Porter, Darren McGregor, Jim Goodwin (unsuccessful), Craig Samson, Stevie Mallan and Kyle Magennis - oh and not forgetting our kitman.

Edited by northstbuddie

1 hour ago, Ethan said:

Having seen the job Ross has done since he left has left me glad we have Goodwin. The shine has gone off his credentials as a boss. 

Eh?

I'd suggest Goodwin has done nothing to earn THAT sort of accolade. 

Good win deserves great credit for the short run of great form we had, taking us to the semi final of the cup.

That apart he's been overwhelmingly average to poor.

We escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth last season, in case that's slipped your mind.

This season is still in the balance IMO, a long way to go before we're shouting he's better than Ross who's Hibs are sitting 4th in the league. 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Eh?

I'd suggest Goodwin has done nothing to earn THAT sort of accolade. 

Good win deserves great credit for the short run of great form we had, taking us to the semi final of the cup.

That apart he's been overwhelmingly average to poor.

We escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth last season, in case that's slipped your mind.

This season is still in the balance IMO, a long way to go before we're shouting he's better than Ross who's Hibs are sitting 4th in the league. 

Sorry I can't recall Jack Ross ever managing St Mirren in the SPL - was he not off to green pastures by then which left St Mirren in a hell of a mess which we are only now just recovering from.

So how can you claim he has a better record than JG?

Hibs probably have a budget 3 or 4 times the size of St Mirren's.

In less than 2 seasons JG has achieved a steady improvement in St Mirren's standing in the SPL - something which JR never aspired to.

26 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I stand corrected.

However, his current employers seem to have a predilection for anything St Mirren - John McGinn, Jason Naismith, David Porter, Darren McGregor, Jim Goodwin (unsuccessful), Craig Samson, Stevie Mallan and Kyle Magennis - oh and not forgetting our kitman.

You forgot Barry Lavety, David Van Zanten and probably several others 

1 minute ago, northstbuddie said:

Sorry I can't recall Jack Ross ever managing St Mirren in the SPL - was he not off to green pastures by then which left St Mirren in a hell of a mess which we are only now just recovering from.

So how can you claim he has a better record than JG?

Hibs probably have a budget 3 or 4 times the size of St Mirren's.

In less than 2 seasons JG has achieved a steady improvement in St Mirren's standing in the SPL - something which JR never aspired to.

Do you remember the season he managed to achieve BEFORE he was poached?

I don't see clubs trying to steal Goodwin? 

No, not managed US in the SPL, but he's managing HIbs quite nicely thank you. 

In less than 2 seasons we've improved, aye from last seasons fortunate escape. 

AT THIS POINT IN TIME we're doing ok, I prefer to asses a season when it's over.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Right.

Now let’s play a game of list all the ex Mirren players and coaches that have gone to Aberdeen. 
On second thoughts, let’s not. It would be pointless. 

You can play whatever game you want to play - that's up to you.

I repeat again that I was merely claiming that we are no worse off after the exodus to Easter Road.

I appreciate what Jack Ross did for us when employed by St Mirren but things seem a bit more secure under Jim Goodwin.

5 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

You can play whatever game you want to play - that's up to you.

I repeat again that I was merely claiming that we are no worse off after the exodus to Easter Road.

I appreciate what Jack Ross did for us when employed by St Mirren but things seem a bit more secure under Jim Goodwin.

And I repeat, there has been no mass exodus to Easter Road. Unless two players constitutes a mass exodus.

Otherwise it’s a case of “Hibs in shock case of signing players who used to play for another club”

Absolutely comical this Hibs/Jack Ross nonsense. 
Jason Naismith - left St. Mirren 4 years ago. Played for Ross County and Peterborough before playing 13 games on loan to Hibs some 3 years after he’d left us. Also nothing to do with Jack Ross.

Stevie Mallan - Signed for Hibs over a year after he’d left St. Mirren having been at Barnsley for a full season. Again, nothing to do with Jack Ross.

Jack Ross - Left us nearly 3 years ago and in that time has signed the grand total of two Saints players including zero in his time at Sunderland. He took Morgan on loan from Celtic and brought in ageing Stephen McGinn after he’d left us.

Nothing to see here. 

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Absolutely comical this Hibs/Jack Ross nonsense. 
Jason Naismith - left St. Mirren 4 years ago. Played for Ross County and Peterborough before playing 13 games on loan to Hibs some 3 years after he’d left us. Also nothing to do with Jack Ross.

Stevie Mallan - Signed for Hibs over a year after he’d left St. Mirren having been at Barnsley for a full season. Again, nothing to do with Jack Ross.

Jack Ross - Left us nearly 3 years ago and in that time has signed the grand total of two Saints players including zero in his time at Sunderland. He took Morgan on loan from Celtic and brought in ageing Stephen McGinn after he’d left us.

Nothing to see here. 

Thanks for clarifying your argument.