St Mirren v Motherwell SPFL Premiership 24/2/21

shull

On 2/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, FTOF said:

They do indeed, but they have a significantly larger squad size than us.

We're down to a squad size of 18 fit players. 19 if Quaner makes it.

Alongside St.J we have the smallest squad size in the league.

FootballSquads - Scottish Premiership - 2020/2021

Must be very difficult at present regarding training, trying to balance rest and keeping players ticking over. I wonder if contact games in training have been curtailed, just in case of further injury risk.

We could definitely do with a free agent or two, if there are any around.

What is the betting on Daniel Sturridge on pay as you play until end of season?

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Quite elusive for most teams as that's the hard bit.

I watched Chelsea play at the weekend, up to about 30 yards they were outstanding, after that, absolute gash.

Comes down to the standard of player IMO, and we, like most Scottish teams, just don't have that at our disposal.

Totally take your point FS, but I think we lack it in spades, comparatively speaking in relation to other teams and in relation to our efficiency in other aspects of the game. 

It's amazing how this season has changed everyone's outlook towards the team and what we could do with/need to ensure we stay in top half of league now and hopefully for longer term.

Hopefully after this season we will be able to be a more attractive prospect for potential players.

We seem to be at the end of the car crash era meaning the Craig, Rae, Stubbs and to extent Kearney managements. Only Ross to an extent  and more so now with Goodwin have we got a steady team without the transfer window wholesale team changes which can't have looked good to any potential players.

Onwards and upwards.

32 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

It's amazing how this season has changed everyone's outlook towards the team and what we could do with/need to ensure we stay in top half of league now and hopefully for longer term.

Hopefully after this season we will be able to be a more attractive prospect for potential players.

We seem to be at the end of the car crash era meaning the Craig, Rae, Stubbs and to extent Kearney managements. Only Ross to an extent  and more so now with Goodwin have we got a steady team without the transfer window wholesale team changes which can't have looked good to any potential players.

Onwards and upwards.

You can add Ian Murray to that list as well.

Crucially, both Ross and Goodwin were given tons of time to recover from pretty horrific starts.

For me, that's the lesson for the board here when the time comes to replace Jim when he moves on.

Treat our managerial appointments like we treat our player recruitment: bring in young fresh managers and give them time and financial support and then back them to the hilt for a full season at least. I never, ever want to see us bin another manager mid-season.

Crucially, both Ross and Goodwin were given tons of time to recover from pretty horrific starts.

For me, that's the lesson for the board here when the time comes to replace Jim when he moves on.

Treat our managerial appointments like we treat our player recruitment: bring in young fresh managers and give them time and financial support and then back them to the hilt for a full season at least. I never, ever want to see us bin another manager mid-season. Look how quickly it can change. Relegation fodder to potential for a European slot in just 4 months.

ETA. On that last point, I'm always reminded of the fact that Man Utd stuck with Fergie when the fans wanted him gone. Most other clubs would have sacked him and it's very likely that the best manager the world has ever seen would have had his career strangled at birth.

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Treat our managerial appointments like we treat our player recruitment: bring in young fresh managers and give them time and financial support and then back them to the hilt for a full season at least. I never, ever want to see us bin another manager mid-season. Look how quickly it can change. Relegation fodder to potential for a European slot in just 4 months.

ETA. On that last point, I'm always reminded of the fact that Man Utd stuck with Fergie when the fans wanted him gone. Most other clubs would have sacked him and it's very likely that the best manager the world has ever seen would have had his career strangled at birth.

On the point of Ross, to be honest he was given a transfer window that was make or break which ended up with the great escape after which he quickly started building the team for promotion. JG  similar from last season and now given the chance to really go for it. 

Fergie was 90 mins from sack at old Trafford, Mark Robins to the rescue 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Just checked, any odds you like that'll not happen. :wink:

Aye the odds weren't for me. I was asking for someone else 🤐

Sturridge signed for Turkish Süper Lig club Trabzonspor on 21 August 2019 on a three-year contract.[120] On 2 March 2020, Sturridge was released from the club after having his contract mutually terminated; he had scored seven goals in just sixteen games.[121] The same day he received a four-month worldwide ban for breaching betting rules (see previous section); an appeal board also fined him £150,000

We’ve been pretty in lucky with injuries which hasn’t helped us in that respect. 

Will McGrath be risked or not? He’s integral to how we play. 

Also Colin Quaner - could he be available to make a difference? 

17 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Without wishing to state the obvious, we are sitting where we are this season because we have improved in almost every aspect of the game.

For me the one missing component is that crucial bit of creativity/composure/efficiency (call it what you will) required in the final third. If we can find/add that, we could be a really decent side. It’s criminal how much good work we undo due to that missing ingredient. 

4 minutes ago, spankin_panda said:

We’ve been pretty in lucky with injuries which hasn’t helped us in that respect. 

Will McGrath be risked or not? He’s integral to how we play. 

Also Colin Quaner - could he be available to make a difference? 

Hmmm. I certainly don’t think McGrath will be risked until after the split. 
Quaner is a bit more of an unknown, but if he’s literally just started back training I’d imagine it would be Saturday at the absolute earliest before he features.