St Mirren v Motherwell SPFL Premiership 24/2/21

shull

Very poor again. I understand the fatigue with many of these players but it is difficult to defend such poor passing, silly mistakes & a complete lack of creative threat going forward. 
I also know I’m now saying it every game but why he persists with Erwin is beyond me. I actually counted only six times he touched the ball when he came on. Five of them

- put the ball out the park 

- turned possession immediately over to Motherwell X2

- gave away a free kick 

- hospital pass to Erhahon. 

Edited by bazil85

Why are we incapable of either shooting when we are right in front of goal, and instead always look to make another pass, or with the occasional exception of Durmus and Tait, also incapable of attempting to take on a man one on one, especially through the middle? There was absolutely no desire by any of the team to actually get to a position to get a shot on target. Some really poor decision-making throughout that game. Can't believe we've gone from putting ourselves in the position of easily confirming sixth or above, to struggling to hold on to sixth and in real danger of being overtaken. Very poor again tonight.

Dreadful stuff. Given that they lost 4 to two other not great sides and we didn't even have 4 shots on target, this was a poor show from us.

Our headers went to Well players, their headers went to Well players - at times it looked like they had an extra man.

Our passing and final balls especially dire.   Obika a real disappointment tonight. We were not great in the middle of the park...

So thankfully we were okay defensively !  Best player Crawford for them - that's a shocker !

Our two bookings were both a joke !

But we are 1 point closer to Livi. 1 point further away from the teams below (except Well)  and we've got RC up next.... we will need to compete better in that one for sure...

Just now, billyg said:

I would expect St Johnstone to finish 6th now. We must win on Saturday to put the pressure back on them after the LC Final !

They were certainly our biggest danger as I said a few weeks ago.

They are on the up, we're treading water.

The only bonus is we're drawing games we would have lost in previous seasons. 

That was tough to watch. Absolutely no creativity or even basic ball control. The three central midfielders were playing far too close together and stifling each other. Fraser solid as a rock and we seemed to have a little spark when Connolly came on, albeit for ten minutes! The only saving grace is Motherwell have gained no ground on us. 
Goodwin likes the sound of his own voice in the press and talking the talk about all sorts of things. I think he should concentrate on walking the walk with his own team. 

7 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Very poor again. I understand the fatigue with many of these players but it is difficult to defend such poor passing, silly mistakes & a complete lack of creative threat going forward. 
I also know I’m now saying it every game but why he persists with Erwin is beyond me. I actually counted only six times he touched the ball when he came on. Five of them

- put the ball out the park 

- turned possession immediately over to Motherwell X2

- gave away a free kick 

- hospital pass to Erhahon. 

Sounds like he's improving then 😂

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yep.

Disappointing performance against a Motherwell team fighting for their lives but the usual suspects are indulging in yet more self-flagellation so it's probably time to log off for the night.

I am just glad it’s not us fighting to get away from the bottom 

That was a junior/amateur level display tonight - we were miles behind Motherwell in our performance. Could not control the ball - every loose ball was looped up into the air in blind hope. We could not string three passes together and were fortunate to come out of that with a point. Our striking options are so limited as things stand at the moment. No wonder Elvis has ended up as he is.