St Mirren v Motherwell SPFL Premiership 24/2/21

shull

3 minutes ago, scam75 said:

I dont think the formation worked tonight. Fair enough giving it a go. Motherwell are not a bad side, false league position. As much as we wanted to win tonight top 6 is still in our own hands. 5th is gone.

So we either make top 6 or end up bottom 6 with no drop worries and popcorn seats looking down. Aim would be finishing 7th with more points than 6th.

Huge positives were the unexpected returns of McGrath and JDH. Both safely navigating the game uninjured. Had Dennis not got crocked we may have had a better goal return of late, but it is what it is.

I'd have bit your hand off for this when we lost 6 in a row or whatever it was at covid time or indeed the start of the season.

Relax and enjoy a relegation free season and look to build further for next season lads.

I but, but what can I complain about ??

6 minutes ago, scam75 said:

I dont think the formation worked tonight. Fair enough giving it a go. Motherwell are not a bad side, false league position. As much as we wanted to win tonight top 6 is still in our own hands. 5th is gone.

So we either make top 6 or end up bottom 6 with no drop worries and popcorn seats looking down. Aim would be finishing 7th with more points than 6th.

Huge positives were the unexpected returns of McGrath and JDH. Both safely navigating the game uninjured. Had Dennis not got crocked we may have had a better goal return of late, but it is what it is.

I'd have bit your hand off for this when we lost 6 in a row or whatever it was at covid time or indeed the start of the season.

Relax and enjoy a relegation free season and look to build further for next season lads.

This - without our Covid mishaps I reckon we'd have been in the Top6 easy. 

Tonight JDH was very negative and took to long with ball at his feet, slowed the play down as he does all the time, JDH and Erahon dont work together and would have had Flynn for JDH tonight and Connolly for McPherson....ball far to slow getting moved around. Substitutions were baffling and lets try Jamieson for Obika or Erwin, he surely cannot do any worse.

People posting shit about biting your hand off to be in this position at this stage is bull-shit. Should be well clear in 6th and those statements just covering up how shit we have been last 5 games. Give me a relegation battle anyday rather than seeing out season with meaningless games which it will be if we don't make top 6. 

Yes we all would have took this position in October and certainly having a relegation free season is a relief but St Johnstone (a team who alot of Saints fans look down their nose at by end of this season could have a trophy and a top 6 finish) & part of me thinks that could have been us but we look like blowing our trophy and top 6 chances so instead of sort of enjoying a stress free finish i am left disappointed and the question What If???

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yes we all would have took this position in October and certainly having a relegation free season is a relief but St Johnstone (a team who alot of Saints fans look down their nose at by end of this season could have a trophy and a top 6 finish) & part of me thinks that could have been us but we look like blowing our trophy and top 6 chances so instead of sort of enjoying a stress free finish i am left disappointed and the question What If???

Would have taken position in October but form in last 5 games is no excuse to not have secured top 6 already...team selection and substitutions still baffling and Goodwin never seems to learn from it. Erwin and McAllister last night bordering on incompetence...

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, st jock said:

Unless I've missed something, don't we have five games after the split to try and get the fifth place? Obviously we need to make the top 6 to have that chance?

Whats ur point?

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

Surely it’s the FIFTEEN points which Saints can still accrue after the split that are the points?

All still to play for. Season ain’t finished.

We know that but seeing as team is getting set up not to lose rather than win again bottom six is where we will be...i find it absolute incredible Goodwin doesn’t seem to learn from past mistakes!

Edited by Guest

32 minutes ago, God of war said:

We know that but seeing as team is getting set up not to lose rather than win again bottom six is where we will be...i find it absolute incredible Goodwin doesn’t seem to learn from past mistakes!

All this forum needs is another negative troll..... we were bottom 5 months ago after 6 s****ht defeats.... covid and facing sanctions.... away back to ipox and gee us peace

6 hours ago, God of war said:

People posting shit about biting your hand off to be in this position at this stage is bull-shit. Should be well clear in 6th and those statements just covering up how shit we have been last 5 games. Give me a relegation battle anyday rather than seeing out season with meaningless games which it will be if we don't make top 6. 

Sadly this is spot on. 

Surely it’s the FIFTEEN points which Saints can still accrue after the split that are the points?
Seeing as we are struggling big time to win matches against bottom 6 how many victories do you think we will get v the other top 6 teams???

2 hours ago, God of war said:

Would have taken position in October but form in last 5 games is no excuse to not have secured top 6 already...team selection and substitutions still baffling and Goodwin never seems to learn from it. Erwin and McAllister last night bordering on incompetence...

I broadly agree with the first part of this. We’ve had a perfect opportunity to secure 5th (never mind 6th!) and not taken it. Something not quite clicking for us at home this season.

However, I’m delighted with where we are and would have taken that at the start of the season.

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
1 hour ago, antrin said:

Seeing as we are struggling big time to win matches against bottom 6 how many victories do you think we will get v the other top 6 teams???

It's only a game, Ronnie. 

At the start of the season, you could just as easily have asked me how often St Mirren might beat either of the Big Buttocks...

The team has been depleted currently, going through a poor, stumbling spell and yet still eking out draws...

If you don't have ambition and boundless faith then there's no point in being a St Mirren fan.   You must know that.  :)

Things can only get wetter.  (stet)

Last night typified our problems in the final third. How many goals have we scored from headers? Very few yet we float in aimless high balls that are never met. Why not pass the ball into the box instead of floating it? And as Alan McManus said last night we are too static in the box waiting for the ball instead of moving into space or indicating where a forward wants the ball. And why don't players shoot when they get the chance?

However we have loads to be pleased about. Defence looks excellent, maybe not champions league level but relatively very good. We have loads of good young players in midfield who should only get better. Before the game last night Goody said JDH and Jamie were at best 75% fit and it was a gamble starting them. So we should not be too harsh if they were not up to their usual standard.

Maybe next season we can fix the third part of the jigsaw. We can still make top 6 but the team looks knackered. Here's hoping for another all out effort against County.

25 minutes ago, elvis said:

I think the last month has proved one thing and that is that the squad is to small to  cover vital positions. 

Brophy, Dennis and Quaner all out, resulting in it being a small squad when it comings to forwards, Then yes I would agree. 

We have been unlucky