Dundee Utd v St. Mirren, 27/01/21

To be honest I'm actually glad we've got a hectic schedule coming up which might stop me dwelling on yesterday...
Lose both this weeks matches which let's face is a very realistic possibility and pretty sure all of us will be dwelling on alot more negative feelings.

8 hours ago, munoz said:

Earlier in the season when we were going through that losing streak, the manager admitted that he'd been too cautious in the way we were setting up and changed things. The last 4 or 5 games have seen us play in a similar way to those games. 

If he doesn't change how we approach and set up for games very soon, then this season will only be heading one way - and that is another fight to stay up.

Time for some experience to be brought back into that midfield. Ryan Flynn was arguably one of our best players before his injury- get him back in the team.

If he makes the right changes for this game and has the correct approach, then we've every chance of picking up points, 

If he persists with the cautious approach, then we'll get nothing. 

This is the bit that baffles me about his selection and tactics. He was on saying how he had learned, that he was young coach and had been too negative. Then a couple of players form shades and he goes back to the old approach and gets nothing. Bizarre. 

For first time in 40 odd year a honestly couldn't give a shit about arabs game:sick of Goodwin: sick of absolute anti football,sick of no shots on goal and sick that he cannot be honest and tell us REAL reasons behind Flynn and Foley not getting on park,because if it's to piss them off so they leave or are they one game away that automatically means they got clause in contract meaning extra season kicks in:tell us fans the truth as a said before if we started Flynn n Foley we would be in a cup final and our last 4 league games we have been horrendous and brutal on the eye so wouldn't expect any more changes to team as this is the guy that sent out same team for 2nd half against Livingston after one of the worst performance ever without making a sub or subs:time is running out for Goodwin and rightly so

On the other hand, for me, it’s been a good season so far under the circumstances.

Is it 4 defeats in 17

Losing 1-0 ( Hibs/St Johnstone away ) no disgrace

Sevco 2-0 wicked deflection/ slack backpass after being the ONLY team to beat them this season

Losing a cup semi final with a poor performance is also seen as , we made it to a cup semi final when Celtic/Sevco/Aberdeen etc didn’t oh we beat 2 of them ...

Decent league position considering how Covid ravaged the squad earlier in the season

Nah, poor performances are part of every season

So , this game...

We need to find a performance from somewhere, this will be the game

United 1-2 Saints

32 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

On the other hand, for me, it’s been a good season so far under the circumstances.

Is it 4 defeats in 17

Sevco 2-0 wicked deflection/ slack backpass after being the ONLY team to beat them this season

Losing a cup semi final with a poor performance is also seen as , we made it to a cup semi final when Celtic/Sevco/Aberdeen etc didn’t oh we beat 2 of them ...

Decent league position considering how Covid ravaged the squad earlier in the season

So , this game...

United 1-2 Saints

The league stats are less "one sided" with us winning 6 from 21. 

We have drawn 5 and lost 10. 

Only scored 16 league goals but, as I have mentioned, we are healthy in the goals against stat, only conceding 24, one of the best in the league.

Aye, stats eh? 

2 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Is it 4 defeats in 17

So , this game...

United 1-2 Saints

We are only 4 points better off than last year at this time, no real difference!

Hope the team doesn't suffer a hangover from Sunday. JG's first job is to see that whoever he puts on the pitch is fired up and ready for the fight.

Given the number of games coming up in the next few weeks, he also needs to be prepared to use ALL the players at his disposal.

After Sunday it's clear that Erhahon needs a break from the action, and that Brophy needs support up front. If MacPherson is not available, that gives JG a chance to try Flynn and maybe Foley back in midfield. We've not seen enough of Flynn since his injury to know whether he is the same player he was, maybe now is the time to find out.  Durmus has been inconsistent this season, but recently he's shown an improvement when he's come on in games, so I'd start him and keep Connolly as a sub for later in  the game. Also, try Obika and Brophy together.

1 hour ago, God of war said:

We are only 4 points better off than last year at this time, no real difference!

It's a different season - where we were in 19/20 is irrelevant.

Like munoz above above I want to know the goss on Quaner and would like to think our midfield would have a bit more dig than on Sunday,

Well thanks to @Sonnyfor the info on Quaner - the best I can do now is a rather feeble COYS!

Goody needs to help Brophy , if he thinks that Brophy is a one man front line he needs his head examined..... Utd can hardly score unless its from 50 yrds

Win this we look to top 6, lose we will be looking down, its a draw for me, but so hoping we can bounce back with a sneaky 1-0....

Our top scorer is McGrath playing just behind a striker. In the two games where Brophy has started - against the Fakes McGrath started left midfield (??????) giving no support the Brophy and against Livi him and Brophy were isolated  as Erhahon, McPherson and Mason barely crossed the half way line.

Brophy and McGrath may be a good partnership if they actually have a midfield that supports them and plays the ball on the deck. Ethan is far to laid back and off his game. Cammy gets frustrated easily, losing his cool and stops concentrating running around like a headless chicken. I would stick with the 5 across the middle in this game with Durmus, Flynn, Foley, McGrath and Connolly.

We have only had three decent performances this season starting with the game in Aberdeen where we attacked in numbers and closed down the opposition. We have to start doing that again.

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Goody needs to help Brophy , if he thinks that Brophy is a one man front line he needs his head examined..... Utd can hardly score unless its from 50 yrds

Win this we look to top 6, lose we will be looking down, its a draw for me, but so hoping we can bounce back with a sneaky 1-0....

Ffs stop going on about this top 6 garbage, can hardly score a goal ffs...

19 hours ago, paul torfason said:

For first time in 40 odd year a honestly couldn't give a shit about arabs game:sick of Goodwin: sick of absolute anti football,sick of no shots on goal and sick that he cannot be honest and tell us REAL reasons behind Flynn and Foley not getting on park,because if it's to piss them off so they leave or are they one game away that automatically means they got clause in contract meaning extra season kicks in:tell us fans the truth as a said before if we started Flynn n Foley we would be in a cup final and our last 4 league games we have been horrendous and brutal on the eye so wouldn't expect any more changes to team as this is the guy that sent out same team for 2nd half against Livingston after one of the worst performance ever without making a sub or subs:time is running out for Goodwin and rightly so

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but disagree on one of the specifics.

I agree that the combination of Erhahon and McPherson was a terrible selection. I also agree that it’s a bit baffling why Flynn (if completely fit) is not getting a run out. His previous form certainly justifies it as in my opinion, prior to his injury he was heading for being our player of the season.

However, (and you are not alone in this) a few people over the last couple of weeks appear to have rearranged history on Sam Foley and forgotten that in a midfield role he was absolutely honking earlier in the season, ultimately causing him to get dropped. Why would he suddenly now be the saviour? I like Foley, but I like him as centre defensive cover and if Shaughnessy doesn’t buck his ideas up I’d be replacing him soon with Foley. 
However in my opinion, Foley’s midfield days are behind him. 

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but disagree on one of the specifics.
I agree that the combination of Erhahon and McPherson was a terrible selection. I also agree that it’s a bit baffling why Flynn (if completely fit) is not getting a run out. His previous form certainly justifies it as in my opinion, prior to his injury he was heading for being our player of the season.
However, (and you are not alone in this) a few people over the last couple of weeks appear to have rearranged history on Sam Foley and forgotten that in a midfield role he was absolutely honking earlier in the season, ultimately causing him to get dropped. Why would he suddenly now be the saviour? I like Foley, but I like him as centre defensive cover and if Shaughnessy doesn’t buck his ideas up I’d be replacing him soon with Foley. 
However in my opinion, Foley’s midfield days are behind him. 
This

Foley's only decent games in about a year were filling in at CB. I sincerely doubt he has the legs to play central midfield. Flynn needs a chance and we dont need to totally discard Erharon just give him some experience beside him at least until JDH is fit again. Unless we have an injury at LB Mason shouldn't be getting considered.