Dundee Utd v St. Mirren, 27/01/21

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but disagree on one of the specifics.
I agree that the combination of Erhahon and McPherson was a terrible selection. I also agree that it’s a bit baffling why Flynn (if completely fit) is not getting a run out. His previous form certainly justifies it as in my opinion, prior to his injury he was heading for being our player of the season.
However, (and you are not alone in this) a few people over the last couple of weeks appear to have rearranged history on Sam Foley and forgotten that in a midfield role he was absolutely honking earlier in the season, ultimately causing him to get dropped. Why would he suddenly now be the saviour? I like Foley, but I like him as centre defensive cover and if Shaughnessy doesn’t buck his ideas up I’d be replacing him soon with Foley. 
However in my opinion, Foley’s midfield days are behind him. 
On a game like Sunday where midfield was essential, Foley flanked by Erhahon and MacPherson might possibly have given us the balance of energy and experience that we were crying out for.

I certainly wouldn't have expected Foley to be running around like a teenager... but I reckon he would have been willing to put his foot on the ball and direct the game.

I guess we will never know.

This

Foley's only decent games in about a year were filling in at CB. I sincerely doubt he has the legs to play central midfield. Flynn needs a chance and we dont need to totally discard Erharon just give him some experience beside him at least until JDH is fit again. Unless we have an injury at LB Mason shouldn't be getting considered.
A bit harsh on Foley, imo, a couple of not so good performances and we begin throwing the age thing at him. From memory did he not cover the most ground last year in most games?
Just checked and his last game for us was beating Aberdeen in the cup back on 28/11/20.. not played a minute since.
You can only assume there are some issues behind the scenes, or has been hit hard by the virus. (If he had it)
As for your point on Mason, we would probably be better just starting with 10!

5 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I agree with the general sentiment of your post, but disagree on one of the specifics.

I agree that the combination of Erhahon and McPherson was a terrible selection. I also agree that it’s a bit baffling why Flynn (if completely fit) is not getting a run out. His previous form certainly justifies it as in my opinion, prior to his injury he was heading for being our player of the season.

However, (and you are not alone in this) a few people over the last couple of weeks appear to have rearranged history on Sam Foley and forgotten that in a midfield role he was absolutely honking earlier in the season, ultimately causing him to get dropped. Why would he suddenly now be the saviour? I like Foley, but I like him as centre defensive cover and if Shaughnessy doesn’t buck his ideas up I’d be replacing him soon with Foley. 
However in my opinion, Foley’s midfield days are behind him. 

What about Foley just sitting in front of back four just spreading ball about and stopping and setting up play in a Tommy Turner role??

33 minutes ago, paul torfason said:

What about Foley just sitting in front of back four just spreading ball about and stopping and setting up play in a Tommy Turner role??

That has potential but it’s not a million miles from the role JDH has been playing so would involve a change of role for him.

After the last few games I’m all for a change. 

Would prob start Dennis and Brophy upfront after thinking about it.

Would be looking to replace Shaughnessy and Fraser and move Tait to right back. 

Erahon, McAllister, Erwin, Sheron and Mason can all leave just now. Foley can also leave if not going play him.

Not getting the Connolly thing either, can run very fast but that's where it ends. Wouldnt start in any game for me and has very little ability, one good game against Sevco. Ten minute cameo at best.

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, pondsman said:

Hope the team doesn't suffer a hangover from Sunday. JG's first job is to see that whoever he puts on the pitch is fired up and ready for the fight.

Given the number of games coming up in the next few weeks, he also needs to be prepared to use ALL the players at his disposal.

After Sunday it's clear that Erhahon needs a break from the action, and that Brophy needs support up front. If MacPherson is not available, that gives JG a chance to try Flynn and maybe Foley back in midfield. We've not seen enough of Flynn since his injury to know whether he is the same player he was, maybe now is the time to find out.  Durmus has been inconsistent this season, but recently he's shown an improvement when he's come on in games, so I'd start him and keep Connolly as a sub for later in  the game. Also, try Obika and Brophy together.

This pretty much sums up everything I’ve been saying. We need experience in the middle, Erahon needs a break from action to re-group. 
Mason shouldnt be in the starting 11, Durmus for me. And 2 up top. 

just a pity we didn’t do this Sunday.... 

Just noticed there’s a rerun of the whole match on BBC Alba at 10pm tonight.

I may watch, depending on the result and how fans thought we played.

Given another poor away performance on Sunday, I’ll not be buying Utds ppv, especially as we have so many home games coming up.

Id like to think JG will go 4-4-2 tonight and change the personnel in the middle of the park.
We need to be set up to win this match, not just to nullify them.

However, outside of the keeper and four defenders I have no idea who will start or the formation we’ll play.

No reason we can’t win 2-0, but suspect both side will cancel each other out with 0-0 a very likely outcome.

Completely lost interest in St Mirren right now the lack of not being able to attend played a part in the apathy I have felt for alot of this season along with having only 3 good performances in 30 matches but Sundays shambles was a right f###ing kick in the balls.

According to the minority on various St Mirren fans platforms league is much more important as is a push for top 6 I on the other hand really couldn't care less where we finish but in my eyes to have a chance of another national cup final was much more important doesn't happen very often (yes it would have been 3 in 11 years) but it was 1 in 38 years before that.

If St Johnstone win this trophy they will have won Scottish and League cup within 5 years of each other plus regular top 6 finishes, Livingston will have won 2 league cups in 17 years plus more than 1 top 6 finish ask their fans what's more important finishing top 6 or celebrating winning a national cup final.

Goodwin when under pressure earlier in season after good start reverted to his scared tactics that brought us 7 defeats in a row he reverted back to same tactics Sunday now with 9 games in 30 days guaranteed the guy who never bottled anything as a player will revert to the scare tactics to scrape draws or victories wherever he can.