How High Can We Finish This Season ?

shull

Getting top 6 would be a great achievement but needs to be a stepping stone to a next level for it to really mean something. Partick achieved it and then plummeted.

It’s not a victory in itself. It’s a feel good factor, extra revenue and an opportunity to push on. European football would be a victory for our club - and having a semi-regular crack a cup wins (semi-finals & finals).

To answer the original question - I honestly think we could finish anywhere from 5th to 10th. I’d hazard a guess that we’ll be somewhere in the middle. 

There’s still a lot of work to be done for this team and plenty of games have shown our shortcomings. 

We should certainly enjoy the last couple of amazing results though - especially after the huge disappointment of Hampden last week. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Whether we can or can’t remains to be seen, but if we can finish 5th and one of the top 4 wins the cup, this is what we’d be qualifying for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

If I’m reading it right, it sound like you’re straight into a group stage.

If we were to win the Cup it would be Europa League proper. 

Wouldn't you want us to win the cup and be the top four club? I know I would.

Edited by stlucifer

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Whether we can or can’t remains to be seen, but if we can finish 5th and one of the top 4 wins the cup, this is what we’d be qualifying for.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

If I’m reading it right, it sound like you’re straight into a group stage.

If we were to win the Cup it would be Europa League proper. 

Reckon the must be a fair chance of Scottish Cup now being scrapped this season. 

That would mean Europa League spot going to 3rd in league and then the 5th place in league getting the Europa Conference.  (Which in all likelihood would happen anyway if top 4 win the cup) 

14 hours ago, TopCat said:

6th. Maybe 5th.
Not for covid..??
4th.
Those two losses against Hibs really bother me.
We shouldn’t be losing to shite like that and I expect us to beat them in paisley.

4th is beyond this side. 5th is the absolute best we can achieve. I believe we are better than Livi. I also think though that StJ are better than us. For me if Brophy, Dennis and Quaner all come good the 5th has potential.

14 hours ago, TopCat said:

Spot on. We beat Perth at home right enough.
The Hibs thing just gets to me a bit. That former player and manager connection winds me right up. If it wasn’t for those two losses we’d be challenging for Europe.
Speaking to a Celtic supporting friend of mine earlier and he said that he used to think Jack Ross would be their next manager. But now he’s looking at former Celtic player Jim Goodwin.
Not now.

Think i'd be avoiding your Celtic supporting mate. Neither for me are close to the Celtic job. Always amazes me how Ross and Goodwin's media ability gets them quoted for job's like that.

StJ were the far better side before Kerr got sent off in the match we won

Finishing fourth and winning the Scottish Cup would be my best scenario.

Long runs in the Cup are shite without winning it

Losing to Livy in the Semi Final is hardly the highlight of the fecking Season.

Loving the Fitzy optimism at last !!

And why not- Our last 2 results show what this squad is capable of, ok Semi was disappointing but remember we beat Sevco and Dons to get there, and u could argue Livi are as good as Sevco in the last few months...…….

We should be looking up not down, I am not even thinking we will get dragged back in and really hoping the Accies and Killie get punted so we can shot of two thirds of the plastic pitches- welcome back Hearts and hopefully Raith….

So this match is big, a 6 pointer in the Top six race is not something we have ever spoken about on my 8 years on here, back the heady days of the 80's please, and if Tony ever says " I told you so " then I will be very happy for starters.

Goody has played about with system, but he was confident we would beat Tic and set up to do just that, United fell apart.....

To finish above Jack Ross would be bloody excellent, and after the recent results , exactly who cant we beat ?

1 hour ago, shull said:

Finishing fourth and winning the Scottish Cup would be my best scenario.

Long runs in the Cup are shite without winning it

Losing to Livy in the Semi Final is hardly the highlight of the fecking Season.

Good to have you back Shull.

A win over the bigots can melt even the hardest heart.

Just goes to prove this love really does last forever. 👍

20 hours ago, Maboza said:

Reckon the must be a fair chance of Scottish Cup now being scrapped this season. 

That would mean Europa League spot going to 3rd in league and then the 5th place in league getting the Europa Conference.  (Which in all likelihood would happen anyway if top 4 win the cup) 

I was actually going to post this very thought.

February is now full so the Scottish Cup can only restart in March at the earliest and only if the lower league clubs can get back to playing again and that won't happen for at least a fortnight I think.

Just can't see it going ahead unless they revamp it for only the top two divisions and re-draw the thing.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I was actually going to post this very thought.

February is now full so the Scottish Cup can only restart in March at the earliest and only if the lower league clubs can get back to playing again and that won't happen for at least a fortnight I think.

Just can't see it going ahead unless they revamp it for only the top two divisions and re-draw the thing.

That could potentially work. Preliminary round contested by the bottom 12 ranked teams, then a last 16 and so on.

Cannae see it though. Think it will be an all or nothing decision. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That could potentially work. Preliminary round contested by the bottom 12 ranked teams, then a last 16 and so on.

Cannae see it though. Think it will be an all or nothing decision. 

Agreed.

I hope that's the route they take.

We could do with fewer games in our charge for 5th place.

That's our priority for the season right there.

Getting a place in European competition would be f**king amazing and I couldn't care less if it's the European Conference or whatever, even if we end up playing a game in the arse end of Khazakstan.

The players should be thinking about this potential prize.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Agreed.

I hope that's the route they take.

We could do with fewer games in our charge for 5th place.

That's our priority for the season right there.

Getting a place in European competition would be f**king amazing and I couldn't care less if it's the European Conference or whatever, even if we end up playing a game in the arse end of Khazakstan.

The players should be thinking about this potential prize.

I would love to go to the arse end of Kazakhstan! 😁

If we qualify for Europe, not matter where the game is I’ll be going! 

2 minutes ago, shull said:

They will squeeze the Scottish Cup in .I don't mind if the Final is in December again.

We can get the winter woolies on as the Open Top Bus makes its way through Paisley.

Actually, spreading it into next season is a good shout. That's another possibility I hadn't thought of.