How High Can We Finish This Season ?

shull

1 hour ago, E=Mc2 said:

Dear Elvis,

We have 40 points at present.

If we were to lose all remaining 5 games.

Scenario 1.

if Accies win all their 5 games they will have 42 points. 

Then if Kilmarnock win 4, as they will have lost to Hamilton, they will have 40 points . Same as us if we lost all our games. Killie could be above us on goal difference.

Then if Ross County won 3 games ( remember they have been beaten by Accies and Killie) they will have 38 points. 

Then if Motherwell won 2 games (they were beaten by Accies, Killie, and Ross County) they would have 41 points.

Then Dundee Utd were only to beat us having lost to the other 4 teams they would have 42 points.

In the above scenario we could be in the play off spot on goal difference with Ross County below us.

Scenario 2.

If Killie win all 5 games they have 43 points.

If Hamilton win 4 having been beat by Kilmarnock they would achieve 39 points.

Then if Ross County win 3 games again they can only achieve 38 points.

In the above scenario we would not be in the play off or relegation spot.

Scenario 3.

If Ross County win all 5 games they can achieve 44 points.

Again Killie can achieve 40 points by winning their 4 games.

Hamilton can then only achieve 36 points by winning 3 games.

Motherwell could win 2 games and have 41 points.

Utd could win one game and have 42 points.

So potentially we could be in the playoffs by goal difference.

Scenario 4.

Killie draw with Hamilton and both win their other 4 games.

Killie have 41 points. Hamilton have 40. Hamilton could be above us on goal difference for the playoff space. Ross County would be below on 38 points at most.

Scenario 5.

Hamilton draw with Ross County and both win their other 4 games. 

Hamilton finish with 40 points. Ross County have 42 points. Most Killie can achieve is 37 points.

We could be in the playoffs on goal difference.

Scenario 6.

Killie draw with Ross County and both win their remaining games.

Ross county finish with 42 points and Killie finish with 41 points.

Hamilton can only achieve 36 points.

Motherwell could get 41 points and Dundee Utd could get 42.

We would be in the playoffs with 40 points.

Scenario 7.

Hamilton draw with Dundee Utd and win all other games and have 40 points.

Kilmarnock win their 4 games and have 40 points.

Ross County win their 3 games and have 38 points.

Motherwell can win 2 and end up with 41 points by beating us and Utd.

Utd beat us and with the draw have 43 points.

I cannot calculate any scenario that has us bottom of the league.

Are yer glad I’m back?

f**king he'll it must have took you from 5 pm to work that out.I actually think it will be 9 th we finish.

18 hours ago, elvis said:

Might be 11 th still need 4 points to avoid that

7 St Mirren           40                 

8 Dundee Utd     39

9 Motherwell       35

10 Ross County   29

11Kilmarnock       28

12 Hamilton         27

5 games left

Hamilton win all 5 they have 42

Kilmarnock win 4 they have 40

Ross County win 3 they have 38

Motherwell win 2 they have 41

Dundee Utd win 1 they have 42

If draws come into play they will have less We need at the most 3 points to avoid bottom 2

No, the worst situation is where we need 42 points to avoid 11th spot.

7 St Mirren           40                 

8 Dundee Utd     39 Win 1 = 42

9 Motherwell       35 win 2 = 41

10 Ross County   29 Win 4 = 41

11Kilmarnock       28 Win 5 = 43

12 Hamilton         27

Accies games against Well & Utd. would be irrelevant in this scenario.

We currently have a 25 GD advantage over County but the ultimate, ultimate nightmare would be us needing to beat Accies on the final day to avoid a play-off spot. :death

Edited by Bud the Baker

59 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I'm going for an optimistic view in that they will have such an arse kicking from Scott, Fitzy, & Goodwin over the next few days(and they should do) that they all will grow a pair and make sure they end up 7th. 

The players? Only person needing a severe arse kicking is Goodwin...

Astonishing amount of knickers being soaked.

Anyone who remotely thinks we will be dragged into the relegation battle should definitely have a word with themselves.

It’s more likely we will finish with more points than whoever finishes 6th

Being disappointed I can understand obviously but seriously, get a grip

We don't score goal's. we've scored 2 goals from open play in the last 8 games  so I think we will finish 8th or 9th,  unless we can get another 5 or 6 penalties,  then 7th is possible 

P.S  A wee tip for Jim going forward, if you want to solve this problem of goals,  don't sign a striker who uses one of his legs for standing on and the other leg for his total ability, unless he has Hans Krankl ability in that leg, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, weetoonsaint said:

Looking at the split ,4 away games in the bounce .be lucky to finish above 9 th.

It's more than unlikely we can be any lower than 9th, the bottom 3 teams would have to have a great run and we'd need to have a complete collapse.

I think 8th will be where we end up, which isn't bad after escaping relegation by the skin of our teeth, and helped by COVID, last season.

Gives us a reasonable starting point for next season.

image.png.6c4d36c53ea379acab38977efe532698.png

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's more than unlikely we can be any lower than 9th, the bottom 3 teams would have to have a great run and we'd need to have a complete collapse.

I think 8th will be where we end up, which isn't bad after escaping relegation by the skin of our teeth, and helped by COVID, last season.

Gives us a reasonable starting point for next season.

image.png.6c4d36c53ea379acab38977efe532698.png

It's going to be very difficult  to motivate  the team after missing out on the top 6 ,and we will be playing teams fighting for their livelihood. 

We could easily get dragged  down 

12 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Exactly. We could put it to bed by beating Motherwell in the first game. If we do there will be at least 2, possibly 3, teams that can't catch us since Killie play County on the same day.

Aye, all these time wasting calculations, I said some time ago the bottom 3 were unlikely to get near us, so we'll be 9th at worst but I still think we have enough, due to us not losing many goals, to get 8th.

39 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, all these time wasting calculations, I said some time ago the bottom 3 were unlikely to get near us, so we'll be 9th at worst but I still think we have enough, due to us not losing many goals, to get 8th.

The calculations were relatively simple - give bottom place Hamilton 5 wins, next bottom Killie 4 qnd so on...leaving us with a Eurovisionesque Nul Points to add to our total!

I'm impressed with @Slartis plan to best Well in our next league game - that would leave us 8 pts ahead of them with only 4 games to play.

General question - do we want the final game against Utd. to be a 7th/8th place decider or would we prefer it wrapped up (either way) before?

81c94cf6d445476db7ac6bbeecc9f500.jpgTorturous Pun Alert - I prefer Burlesque to Eurovisionesque!

Edited by Bud the Baker

14 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

The calculations were relatively simple - give bottom place Hamilton 5 wins, next bottom Killie 4 qnd so on...leaving us with a Eurovisionesque Nul Points to add to our total!

I'm impressed with @Slartis plan to best Well in our next league game - that would leave us 8 pts ahead of them with only 4 games to play.

General question - do we want the final game against Utd. to be a 7th/8th place decider or would we prefer it wrapped up (either way) before?

Torturous Pun Alert - I prefer Burlesque to Eurovisionesque!

Aye, like I said, pointless as it doesn't take into account the form of any of the teams.

Anyone want a bet Hamilton don't win the next 5 games?  :lol:

(If you know they've signed Harry Kane and not told me, I'll be fizzing) 

Th e bottom 6 will cut each other's throats, playing the usual poor quality football with very little changing, the bottom 3 will fight it out till the last day and us and the other two will swap places till the last day, exciting eh? 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, like I said, pointless as it doesn't take into account the form of any of the teams.

Anyone want a bet Hamilton don't win the next 5 games?  :lol:

(If you know they've signed Harry Kane and not told me, I'll be fizzing) 

Th e bottom 6 will cut each other's throats, playing the usual poor quality football with very little changing, the bottom 3 will fight it out till the last day and us and the other two will swap places till the last day, exciting eh? 

I was just saying the calculations were relatively straightforward and unlikely to waste much time, although how anyone could consider time spent on mental arithmetic a waste is beyond me!

As an aside. and like my comedic hero Ronnie Corbett. I do like to drift off-topic - is it not a pure fanny of a scandal that our public health stattos in Scotland are taking 4 days off and won't be updating us on the pandemic until Tuesday when they will no doubt return hungover and with chocolate smeared on their nipples.

See the source image

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I was just saying the calculations were relatively straightforward and unlikely to waste much time, although how anyone could consider mental arithmetic time wasting is beyond me!

As an aside. and like my comedic hero Ronnie Corbett. I do like to drift off-topic - is it not a pure fanny of a scandal that our public health stattos in Scotland are taking 4 days off and won't be updating us on the pandemic until Tuesday when they will no doubt return hungover and with chocolate smeared on their nipples.

Nobody, as far as I'm aware, said they were anything but straightforward "sums", and nobody said arithmetic was a waste of time.

Working them out wasn't exactly brain bursting, sitting typing them out would have takes enough time to bee seen as exactly that, a WASTE of TIME. 

I was just saying they were pointless as football isn't as simple as simple adding/subtraction, but that's too complicated for some. 

PS I just tried to get odds for Hamilton winning the next 5 league games, Bet 365 pished themselves. 

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nobody, as far as I'm aware, said they were anything but straightforward "sums", and nobody said arithmetic was a waste of time.

Working them out wasn't exactly brain bursting, sitting typing them out would have takes enough time to bee seen as exactly that, a WASTE of TIME. 

I was just saying they were pointless as football isn't as simple as simple adding/subtraction, but that's too complicated for some. 

PS I just tried to get odds for Hamilton winning the next 5 league games, Bet 365 pished themselves. 

You'd probably get odds of 365/1.

I just pished myself too. Nothing to do with Hamilton winning 5 games, just an age thing. You'll know what I mean, auld yin. :whistle

40 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well that's a slightly different argument and one that after a blissful shower where I washed my opulent hair with Raspberry Shampoo followed by Lemongrass & Mandarin Conditioner not one that I care to challenge.