Contracts

I’ve always been an advocate of young Buddies being chucked in at the deep end, but I wonder a little about the suggestion of it specifically being in the mid-field positions.

To me, that makes sense only in that McPherson and Erhahon are over the hill, already...   :unsure:

48 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
I must admit, I'm shocked that we haven't so much as given the young lads on the bench any game time at all this season. We aren't exactly chasing games habitually so it's time to give them a bit of a run out and first team minutes.

Do you think the focus is securing top 6? Then hopefully it will be to get the young guys game time?

The problem there is that when we secure a top 6 finish there's going to be a major push to secure the European slot by finishing 5th. There's never an end to pressure but these kids need to be given a chance at some point otherwise they're going to be released. If 5th place ends up being a lost cause then we definitely have no excuse for throwing them in to see how they handle it.

The problem there is that when we secure a top 6 finish there's going to be a major push to secure the European slot by finishing 5th. There's never an end to pressure but these kids need to be given a chance at some point otherwise they're going to be released. If 5th place ends up being a lost cause then we definitely have no excuse for throwing them in to see how they handle it.
I see your point. I was thinking out loud more than anything. It really has messed up development and rehabilitation with no reserve/bounce/youth games.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm sure the previous board had sleepless nights with the thought of European football and the money that would be lost in such a venture... probably hence the reason they budgeted for 11th place every year... the last person that came close was wee Danny who was then shipped out the door 😂

21 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

I'm sure the previous board had sleepless nights with the thought of European football and the money that would be lost in such a venture... probably hence the reason they budgeted for 11th place every year... the last person that came close was wee Danny who was then shipped out the door 😂

Doesn’t European football pretty much pay for itself these days with the prize money even if you get punted out in the early rounds?

12 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Doesn’t European football pretty much pay for itself these days with the prize money even if you get punted out in the early rounds?

Not sure what the cash situation is now,  but it wasn't too long ago Scottish clubs outside the 2 arse cheeks claimed after playing in one or two ties that European football cost their clubs money,  remember one club saying 8K a tie 

12 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Not sure what the cash situation is now,  but it wasn't too long ago Scottish clubs outside the 2 arse cheeks claimed after playing in one or two ties that European football cost their clubs money,  remember one club saying 8K a tie 

They reckon Dundalk made around €8 million from their run a few years back.

The money available for a Europe run has changed alot over the years and its now well worth it if you can get one going. Of course the real value is in reaching the group stage

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/stakeholders/news/0253-0f8e6d83afa2-0904576faee6-1000--2019-20-uefa-club-competitions-revenue-distribution-system/

25 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

The money available for a Europe run has changed alot over the years and its now well worth it if you can get one going. Of course the real value is in reaching the group stage

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/stakeholders/news/0253-0f8e6d83afa2-0904576faee6-1000--2019-20-uefa-club-competitions-revenue-distribution-system/

Yes looks like having quickly read that, it will be beneficial to a club of our size to qualify now,  and rightly so. onwards and upwards 

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jon, and he's done well for us. Does a lot of things very well, but for a number 9 he is powder puff with both feet. If someone could explain "putting the laces through it" to him, and it worked, he'd be a huge asset.

I think Brophy coming was a signal of intent. In Dennis and Brophy we have 2 forwards who can smash a ball goalwards.

Having said that, especially with Dennis's and Brophy's injury records. I'd happily keep Jon and play him alongside whichever of the other two was fit. I don't think the big man would be hard to deal with for a one year extension.

I think a lot rests on tomorrow's result as to who gets a contract extension and who doesn't. JG doesn't seem to be a 'sentiment' manager and if  we don't manage tomorrow then some will go and others brought in that will push the club higher.

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

1 minute ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I think a lot rests on tomorrow's result as to who gets a contract extension and who doesn't. JG doesn't seem to be a 'sentiment' manager and if  we don't manage tomorrow then some will go and others brought in that will push the club higher.

We will win tomorrow. We have to.

Onwards and upwards.

👍

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's the old "will we replace him with someone better" conundrum - at 30 I think he's worth a new year deal.

Not for me. I don't get those who think he brings enough to the table. He doesn't do enough of the dirty part of the game  to get a pass on not scoring enough for a number 9. There are plenty of non scoring strikers who would put in a shift and hold the ball up better.

Edited by stlucifer