Contracts

34 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

New deal for Quaner please, keep him fit and he would be some asset next season 

He may not be hard to deal with, won't have many suiters based on about 2 hours game time in a year. I would try hard to deal him in. Has a bit of x factor.

27 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I thought JG had already said he wouldn't  be offered a deal.

Jim said he hadn't done enough to offer him a new deal,  taking the injury into account. If he is able to contribute over the next few games and there are no offers from elsewhere (which might possibly be the case) then could still be an option for signing for another year i reckon. As for affording him, if no one else is willing to pay him higher money then I am sure he will be happy to give another season a pop to try and re-establish his potential/worth.

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

JG in post match interview confirming that Finlayson will join us from the blue bigots on a permanent basis.

Slightly surprised at this given his total lack of game time especially during the horrendous run of games we had in February. Reid and Henderson have played more. 

This follows the original agreement with Rangers FC that Finlayson would join us on a permanent basis at the end of the season he is highly rated by Goodwin the one failing of our Acadamy has been the failure recently to produce defenders for the first team .We certainly have been excellent at producing midfielders Viz: McGinn McLean Mallan etc

Slightly surprised at this given his total lack of game time especially during the horrendous run of games we had in February. Reid and Henderson have played more. 

Surely we would at least try to keep Quaner. If we bang on about quality and improving the team then he instantly does this if last night is anything to go by. He is physically very strong but also look at his decision making ? Outstanding on both occasions and well ahead of the vast majority in our team in terms of using his head 

38 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

How often do we launch a promising attack yet fail to make the killer pass. Far too often and this cost is the top six. Last night was much better 

The big guy looked great last night, and would be a quality addition, no doubt. But if we push the boat out for someone, his injury record would need to be considered. 

Surprising perhaps, due to limited game time, however, he has always been billed as one for the future - no reason to doubt this will prove to be a good signing.

The big guy looked great last night, and would be a quality addition, no doubt. But if we push the boat out for someone, his injury record would need to be considered. 

Quaner has looked quality when he’s played, but I am confused by the oblique references to his injury record.
I don’t know what his history was before us, but IIRC he was cleaned out against the Fakes shortly after coming off the bench, and has only just returned - how does that equate to being injury prone ?

FWIW I’d offer him a deal, well worth a punt - changed the game last night.

7 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Quaner has looked quality when he’s played, but I am confused by the oblique references to his injury record.
I don’t know what his history was before us, but IIRC he was cleaned out against the Fakes shortly after coming off the bench, and has only just returned - how does that equate to being injury prone ?

It wasn’t the two injuries with us as much as the lengthy lay off in his last competitive season. Maybe I got this wrong, I thought that was what was written when he joined us. 

14 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Ffs set up one goal and has been injured for the majority and now he is some kind of savior....no-way with his injury record would i touch him...

21 hours ago, DumboBud said:

All explained here on Andy Newport's Twitter. :)

St Mirren have agreed a deal to sign Rangers youngster Daniel Finlayson on a permanent transfer this summer. Finlayson is on loan with Saints and made his first-team debut during Wednesday's win over Ross County Jim Goodwin: “Daniel is on loan from Rangers at the moment but we have an contract in place and an agreement in place with Rangers that Daniel will join up with us full-time in the summer. He's one for the future. We had that conversation with Daniel and his representatives. “We explained the project we have and what we're looking for from Daniel. It was never about him coming in and getting 15 or 20 first-team games. “We wanted him to come in and train with senior pros and compete against the likes of Jon Obika, Lee Erwin and Kristian Denis on a daily basis so he could learn. He's one we're looking at as another kind of Marcus Fraser, a Jason Naismith type who could go on and have a very successful career.”

From STV website regarding Fraser's contract talks.

St Mirren closing in on new deal for Marcus Fraser - STV News

The former Ross County defender isn’t the only player the club are working to secure on a longer deal, with other key players also in talks.

“We’ve made extension offers to the likes of Jamie McGrath, Connor McCarthy and Jak Alnwick,” Goodwin said.

“They’ve all got a year left but we would like to have them here longer.

“There’s one or two others as well. I don’t want to give too much away but hopefully we’ll get things done pretty soon.”

The Buddies’ boss is patient when it comes to hearing back from those offered deals, and understand they might have caught the eye of other teams, but believes a good season, where St Mirren were close to breaking into the top six, will work in his favour.

“It’s not something that happens overnight,” he said. “The players are entitled to see what else is out there, obviously, and a number of them are coming off the back of really good seasons.

“But we’re really close with one or two. Hopefully we’ll have a bit of news in the next day or two. It’s just something that takes time.

“We’re not in a desperate rush to get things done. The players know how much we value and appreciate them, and I think the players themselves can see something happening here and they want to be a part of it.”

From STV website regarding Fraser's contract talks.
St Mirren closing in on new deal for Marcus Fraser - STV News

The former Ross County defender isn’t the only player the club are working to secure on a longer deal, with other key players also in talks.

“We’ve made extension offers to the likes of Jamie McGrath, Connor McCarthy and Jak Alnwick,” Goodwin said.

“They’ve all got a year left but we would like to have them here longer.

“There’s one or two others as well. I don’t want to give too much away but hopefully we’ll get things done pretty soon.”

The Buddies’ boss is patient when it comes to hearing back from those offered deals, and understand they might have caught the eye of other teams, but believes a good season, where St Mirren were close to breaking into the top six, will work in his favour.

“It’s not something that happens overnight,” he said. “The players are entitled to see what else is out there, obviously, and a number of them are coming off the back of really good seasons.

“But we’re really close with one or two. Hopefully we’ll have a bit of news in the next day or two. It’s just something that takes time.

“We’re not in a desperate rush to get things done. The players know how much we value and appreciate them, and I think the players themselves can see something happening here and they want to be a part of it.”

Sounds positive.

Sounds positive.
Yeah. I like the fact were players are doing well and have a year left, we are still looking to extend it now. Rather than the old days of having contracts run down and decent players going for nothing. We need to move forward, get quality signed up so if others come in for them we make money on them to get other quality in. It's the only way we will progress further rather than resetting or planning to finish 11th each year. I like this changed way of working. I hope over time it gets better and stronger.

On 4/24/2021 at 9:40 AM, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:
On 4/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, turrabuddie said:

Sounds positive.

Yeah. I like the fact were players are doing well and have a year left, we are still looking to extend it now. Rather than the old days of having contracts run down and decent players going for nothing. We need to move forward, get quality signed up so if others come in for them we make money on them to get other quality in. It's the only way we will progress further rather than resetting or planning to finish 11th each year. I like this changed way of working. I hope over time it gets better and stronger.

Agree.

The only potential fly in the ointment is a couple of players talking about wanting to wait until the season is over before sorting things out.

TBH, that's exactly what I would say if I had no intention of committing to a new contract without actually coming out and saying that. It's a classic delay tactic. I just hope that isn't the case here with Durmus and Jak. Will be a lot more comfortable once they've actually signed or indicated otherwise.

Edited by oaksoft

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Will be a lot more comfortable once they've actually signed or indicated otherwise.

Find it very very strange u feel uncomfortable at all with it!

Quaner looked much sharper and effective when he came on last week. He definitely would become a huge asset, though from my understanding, he has been on some serious money in the past. Jim did say we were lucky to have him and only for the pandemic we were given opportunity to bring him in to get himself in the shop window. 

I know he hasn't exactly had the game time to put himself in the shop window, though clubs in England and Germany already know of him and the type of player he is. Hopefully he brings some more in these remaining games.