Contracts

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

True. :lol:

They still find enough money to pay some of the players several thousand pound per week though. Can't imagine we'll ever get to that position.

If more supporters purchased season tickets and joined SMISA, then the club would be in a stronger position to try and compete wages wise with other clubs. 

I really don't get the Aberdeen "big club" scenario, I mean its not that their supporters have much choice in who to support

Last won cup in 1990, one League Cup in 2014. They have bank rolled league positions with no stars being developed

FAS I am sorry if this upsets you, but your second team is pretty mince, but I did love Glass trying to look cool whilst his team was destroyed by a team that was in the Championship last year....

We win cup, we could tie down who we want and bring in who we need to maintain a top 6 push, even without Cup success we are def on the up

My main concern is loosing Goody because that would be a tragedy

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

I really don't get the Aberdeen "big club" scenario, I mean its not that their supporters have much choice in who to support

Last won cup in 1990, one League Cup in 2014. They have bank rolled league positions with no stars being developed

FAS I am sorry if this upsets you, but your second team is pretty mince, but I did love Glass trying to look cool whilst his team was destroyed by a team that was in the Championship last year....

We win cup, we could tie down who we want and bring in who we need to maintain a top 6 push, even without Cup success we are def on the up

I've said before there are a few teams in spl who will struggle financially once players contracts come to an end and really can't afford to re sign on same terms, etc. Aberdeen being a prime example with players deferring wages etc, they will want paying at some point.

I do honestly think although we not brought in money anywhere near what normally would have, the club is run more frugally brought on by mistakes of past and will be in a far far better shape for next season.

I do think also if  we keep on the same situation of being a selling club with no real ambition then I do think JG will be off as soon as. I think extending his contract by 3 years suggests different tho.

2 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Drinking in the morning? 😜

Too much drivel to tackle in my lunch break, might comeback later. 😂

3 hours ago, munoz said:

If more supporters purchased season tickets and joined SMISA, then the club would be in a stronger position to try and compete wages wise with other clubs. 

I’m afraid we’d have to find approx 6-8000 more fans to buy these season tickets if we are to compete financially with Dons ,Hibs or Hearts .🙁

no reason we shouldn’t be fishing in the same pool as Well, Saintees Killie etc 

Just now, oaksoft said:

Agreed.

How you achieve that is another matter.

This season is on course to be our best in many a year. That might have some affect on next season's uptake. 

Win the cup and qualify for Europe would definitely help.

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

This season is on course to be our best in many a year. That might have some affect on next season's uptake. 

So you're saying we do better when there are no fans present. :whistle

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’m afraid we’d have to find approx 6-8000 more fans to buy these season tickets if we are to compete financially with Dons ,Hibs or Hearts .🙁

no reason we shouldn’t be fishing in the same pool as Well, Saintees Killie etc 

Yep. Even if we filled the stadiunm with season tcket holders we still wouldn't be able to compete financially with Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts. Nowhere near it. We would possibly be able to compete with Dundee Utd at that point but that would be it.

The way we compete on the pitch is to recognise that the 5 or 6 biggest clubs always seem to look to buy in the finished article. We always seem to find diamonds in the rough. That is our method and it's proven to be a very successful strategy for the most part over the last 15 to 18 years.

We do seem to have a lot of fans happy to delude themselves that a player will turn down multiples of his salary to stay with us.

I don't really know what to say to them.

7 minutes ago, munoz said:

All of this would help but realistically unless we can sustain European runs year after year, we will never be able to compete financially with Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts. It's just the reality of having a much smaller fan base and a much smaller stadium.

BTW, we can absolutely still compete on the pitch though. No doubt about that. Unearthing emerging talent and brushing them up whilst everyone else is buying in the finished article is definitely the way to go for us.

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, munoz said:

I admire your optimism however I fell that even if we do win the cup and therefore qualify for Europe, we may see an extra 1000-1500 extra walk up fans as next season begins.
 I would seriously doubt any significant percentage of those will invest in a season ticket . At best I would say single figure percentage. and of those extra fans, how many would stay the course of the season ? Very very few I’d say .

Progress in the cups will add to the coffers as will continued finishes higher up the league . Europe and the extra cash it brings will be the holy grail .

Here’s a wee fact which will perhaps give a wee note of reality to those who may seem surprised we lose out to the likes of Dons & The Embra duo.

Four years ago , one of those teams offered a weekly wage of five figures to an English League one player .   We could ( and do )fund an entire midfield for that. 

The gap was that big four years ago and I’ve no reason to believe it would be much different now. Everything is relative, yes Dons have some financial woes but not many Scots clubs are any different  , just different levels of skint / careful with money .

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

3 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Here’s a wee fact which will perhaps give a wee note of reality to those who may seem surprised we lose out to the likes of Dons & The Embra duo.

Four years ago , one of those teams offered a salary of five figures to an English League one player .   We could ( and do )fund an entire midfield for that. 

The gap was that big four years ago and I’ve no reason to believe it would be much different now. Everything is relative, yes Dons have some financial woes but not many Scots clubs are any different  , just different levels of skint / careful with money .

I’d have thought we pay 5 figure salaries to all our players. 🤔😁

7 minutes ago, Slash said:

Fuk it. Let’s just have another preseason friendly in Blackpool or Grimsby! emoji481.png emoji481.png emoji481.png

Back to the Championship for us. Let’s show no ambition!

After all we’d only spunk said money on travel and players! Let’s also stop paying taxes and facepainters! emoji23.png

Aye, shull deserves nothing.

Oh, wait, "taxes", oops.