D Day 1971

faraway saint

...and here's some lifestyle advice for all you vampires out there from Belinda Carlisle. 🧛

Singer Belinda Carlisle, 62, rose to fame as lead singer of The Go-Go’s and is best known for her solo 1980s hit Heaven Is A Place On Earth. 

My mum always told me two things — to stay out of the sun, and not to run because it would damage my knees. I thought she was just being annoying, but I really should have listened to her because I’m now suffering the consequences of the latter.I took my health for granted when I was younger, and it’s only when I got older and saw my relatives start to die that I felt differently towards mortality. I’m now 62 and I’ve had friends get sick or pass away from cancer. It’s made me realise just how precious life is.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

50 years ago today was the day "new money" was introduced.

Decimalisation happened, making life much easier, seemingly.

Seen an article on the BBC news that care homes have been sent "old money" to help the residents reminisce abut the good old days. 

Lots of people struggled to cope with the new system from what I remember.

I can't understand why though as having everything in 10s is easier to work with.

I suspect it was just the fact that it was a change which was forced on people which caused the resistance more than the difficulty of the new system but if anyone is old enough to remember it would be interesting to hear your view.

I was 15 at the time and the only thing i can remember on that day was paying for stuff with the old coins and getting your change back in Decimal coins.

Goods were price in LSD and Decimal with prices rounded up if needed. 

Can't remember how long the old coins were legal tender for after D day.

2 hours ago, guinness said:

The Friarshall tried to up the price of a pint from 2/6 to 26p. Think they got away with it for a few hours.

As expensive as that?

I was sure when I started drinking, about 1976 pints were only about 24p, could get 4 pints for a quid? 

Maybe I'm making it up. 

PS Apologies, think I see the issue, I'm an eejit. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

I was 15 at the time and the only thing i can remember on that day was paying for stuff with the old coins and getting your change back in Decimal coins.
Was 71 not when old money was totally ditched? There were definitely decimal coins about that were minted in 1968.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Lots of people struggled to cope with the new system from what I remember.

I can't understand why though as having everything in 10s is easier to work with.

I suspect it was just the fact that it was a change which was forced on people which caused the resistance more than the difficulty of the new system but if anyone is old enough to remember it would be interesting to hear your view.

The problem is with inflation, it's probably £16  19/ 11d 3/4. .(sixteen pound nineteen shillings and 11 pence three farthings), for your thoughts nowadays

29 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

As expensive as that?

I was sure when I started drinking, about 1976 pints were only about 24p, could get 4 pints for a quid? 

Maybe I'm making it up. 

PS Apologies, think I see the issue, I'm an eejit. :lol:

Exactly it should have been about 11p. 2/6 was actually dear at the time. court Bar was about 1/10

Good to know the LSD , Love Street Division were active back then [emoji16]

Old money was still around a few years after that, I remember spending sixpence as a kid in the 70s , I think sixpence was last coin to go ? With Thruppence just before it ?

2 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Good to know the LSD , Love Street Division were active back then emoji16.png

Old money was still around a few years after that, I remember spending sixpence as a kid in the 70s , I think sixpence was last coin to go ? With Thruppence just before it ?

The shilling (5p) and two shilling (10p) coins were still around for a while too.

Pre-decimal coins – What do you know about farthings, florins and groats? (familymoney.co.uk)

Sixpence lasted until 1980

The Shilling to 1990 and the two shilling to 1992 or 1993, depending where you look.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

You not remember when pubs were shut all day on a Sunday  :rolleyes:

No mate,before my time.

When they closed on a Sun we would either stay where we were(Jack Daniels) for a stay back,go to the snooker club in Forbes Place or,if we were feeling brave,up to the Todholm Inn.

1 hour ago, HSS said:

No mate,before my time.

When they closed on a Sun we would either stay where we were(Jack Daniels) for a stay back,go to the snooker club in Forbes Place or,if we were feeling brave,up to the Todholm Inn.

Friarshall or the Brown and Polson club for me on a Sunday, till the country decided to come out of the dark ages and allow the bars to open.