Sky Q

faraway saint

We've had the Sky Q boxes for quite a wee while now, and we use the Mini box on our main TV to avoid cables being required.

Overall it runs like a dream, can record numerous programmes at the same time, and has a 2TB hard drive, giving more than enough space to record as much shite as I like, most which I will probably never watch.

Occasionally we get "connectivity problems" which means the Mini box loses signal, usually only lasts a few mins and isn't a major issue.

Yesterday, however, this happened umpteen times and was quite irritating.

No issues were reported with Sky in our area, the UK as a whole was problem free.

We get a speed of 70 Mb/s at the main box with that giving around 40 Mb/s on our devices around the house, more than enough to run everything we use, including IPTV.

Anybody else had recent issues?

Overall Sky have been brilliant with me, anytime I need to contact them they are good to deal with, unlike BT who, in my experience, have been cnuts. 

21 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Not had issues with Sky Q but working from home I have noticed the sky braodband drops quite often, nothing worse when on a Call "hello", "hello, you still there?" 

Our broadband, overall, has been pretty good, although the WIFI is required to run the mini box from one room to another.

My mate has had connectivity problems for a while but, until yesterday, our issues have been few and far between and lasted only a min or two.

Hopefully it's been a bad day and things return to normal. 

PS We are also on the very edge of town so no opportunity for cable, certainly not in the immediate future.

I'd consider cable as it seems more stable, although I certainly don't need the speed they offer. 

Edited by faraway saint

Sky as a company have been very helpful whenever contacted and through their app we can control a lot of account issues.

We have Sky Q - 3 mini boxes , wifi and 3 of our kids have Sky Mobile

The last 2 weeks signal has been extremely poor on mobile and about half hour ago my son said his mini box had lost signal

Usual turn it off and on sorts it.

The mobile signal ? Nothing we can do about that

2 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Managed to get 50% of movies and sports for six months after phoning with the intention of getting them removed 👍🏻

I've just removed the majority of my sky package (lost interest in watching football and watching a lot of stuff on Netflix and Prime which you get on Sky, phoned up and would only reduce it by £5.00, been a customer for years.  Was ready to tell them where to shove their package as they were wanting to charge an admin for me removing stuff from my package.

I never get the agent who offers to reduce the price. I tend to get the call back later asking me why I downgraded

52 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

I've just removed the majority of my sky package (lost interest in watching football and watching a lot of stuff on Netflix and Prime which you get on Sky, phoned up and would only reduce it by £5.00, been a customer for years.  Was ready to tell them where to shove their package as they were wanting to charge an admin for me removing stuff from my package.

I never get the agent who offers to reduce the price. I tend to get the call back later asking me why I downgraded

You'll need to work on your negotiating skills.

I always get a decent result when I need to speak to someone.

Only the other week I called to get a better data package for my phone, doubled the monthly allowance, and they offered me a 25% discount into the bargain. 

20 minutes ago, Slarti said:
1 hour ago, stlucifer said:
Could anyone tell me what sort of upheaval there is from changing from Virgin to one of the other providers? Is there an alteration to the internal cabling for instance?

Depends what you already have. Do you have a BT line already in the house?

Yes. 

33 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, stlucifer said:
Yes. 

I'm guessing a Satalite dish and cables from that will be needed, in addition to the phone line you have.

Just had my extension built so I don't want cables all over the place. I suppose I'll have to hope Virgin give me my customary discount when I call to cancel again.

Just had my extension built so I don't want cables all over the place. I suppose I'll have to hope Virgin give me my customary discount when I call to cancel again.
Depends also on whether anyone else offers fibre broadband, or just ADSL, in your area. The satellite dish obviously only applies to suppliers who use that, like SKY, and not to others, like BT.

I don't even have a BT line connected to my building so if I, or any of the neighbours, wanted anyone apart from Virgin, a line would need connected from the nearest pole.

19 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Where there's a will there's a way, or in your case, no will, no way. :byebye

16 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nobody cares about you or your house.

Away and don't waste people's time. :byebye

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Yeah, me bad for trying to give you some advice, I forgot your a superior being that doesn't need help.................................:hammer

Advice? Closer to abuse. WAFF!

Our problems continue, losing connectivity on the mini box, devices also losing wifi signal, all in all, a bad few days.

TBH we get no real issues but this can't continue.

I'll call Sky tomorrow night, see what they say.

The "goto" response is something along the lines of "have you checked your" this that or the other, aye, nothing in our set up has changed for months so let's get back to the equipment please.

Update to follow. 

24 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Sorry, but what an idiotic response. Or have you been stalking me to the extent of spying on my house?

21 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Yet you took the time to answer TWICE. Sorry. Make that three times. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You fool.

6 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Advice? Closer to abuse. WAFF!

Unbelievably you do the same time after time, it must be a shame for your family putting up with your weirdness, I pity them. :byebye

PS Stay out of the funny thread, your ruining it. :lol: