Sky Q

faraway saint

49 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Where there's a will there's a way, or in your case, no will, no way. :byebye

49 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Nobody cares about you or your house.

Away and don't waste people's time. :byebye

What the hell is wrong with you? Is there ever a time on here where you are not behaving like a total arsehole?

Edited by oaksoft

Not in my house. Walls are brick and we have tiles on the floor.
I had thought if you'd just got an extension built you may have got new flooring. In that case you wouldn't have wanted it lifted if possible.

Another route that could be used is the cavity gap in the walls if it hasn't already been insulated. [emoji106]

12 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I had thought if you'd just got an extension built you may have got new flooring. In that case you wouldn't have wanted it lifted if possible.

Another route that could be used is the cavity gap in the walls if it hasn't already been insulated. emoji106.png

Easily solved if you really wanted to.......................................at worst minimum disruption and EASILY put back to normal.

PS Even if there is insulation, cables can still be run down the wall, amazing eh? :1eye

Edited by faraway saint

13 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Another route that could be used is the cavity gap in the walls if it hasn't already been insulated. emoji106.png

It has and the cabled would need to be routed through to the original part of the house. I'm sure the missus would be delighted with more upheaval just so I could get my TV fix via another provider. I probably should have considered the change previously but I've been fortunate enough to get a discount sorted every time. I'm just not sure that luck will hold out so was looking for constructive advise in case. Thanks for that though.

I’ve never gone for Sky Q because I’ve been told it can’t replicate our current set up.

We currently have 3 boxes, one in the living room, one in our bedroom and one in the Den upstairs. Our telly in the kitchen has a magic eye from the box in the living room, and the guest bedroom has a magic eye from the box in the Den. So we basically have 5 Sky enabled tellies in the house.

I’m told Sky Q can’t replicate that. Maximum of 3 boxes and magic eyes don’t work with it. 

21 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Our problems continue, losing connectivity on the mini box, devices also losing wifi signal, all in all, a bad few days.

TBH we get no real issues but this can't continue.

I'll call Sky tomorrow night, see what they say.

The "goto" response is something along the lines of "have you checked your" this that or the other, aye, nothing in our set up has changed for months so let's get back to the equipment please.

Update to follow. 

Just spoke to a very helpful gentleman, he checked and confirmed we had some issues, the usual can you move the router a wee bit further away from the main sky box, done.

If it happens again, it's been fine today, get back to them while it's happening and they'll try top capture the issue as it is happening.

All in all, nothing concrete, but at least it's recorded, gives me something to refer back to if it happens again. 

19 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m told Sky Q can’t replicate that. Maximum of 3 boxes and magic eyes don’t work with it. 

I've got a HDMI extender, something similar to Magic Eye connected to my mini-box. Runs from the bedroom to the kitchen, works just the same. Will see if I can see what it is and post here.

It was my mate that fitted it when installing the TV's, he had two spare from a homer. I'm sure you need to run a phone cable also.

We've had this in the house for almost 2 years

Edited by chalky1
updated content

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just spoke to a very helpful gentleman, he checked and confirmed we had some issues, the usual can you move the router a wee bit further away from the main sky box, done.

If it happens again, it's been fine today, get back to them while it's happening and they'll try top capture the issue as it is happening.

All in all, nothing concrete, but at least it's recorded, gives me something to refer back to if it happens again. 

OH, I should add, interestingly my speed, which is normally around 32Mbs to 40Mbs, has just shown 49Mbs, around a 25% increase.

I wonder if they've cranked it up to make sure any outages have a reduced effect?

Long may it continue. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

OH, I should add, interestingly my speed, which is normally around 32Mbs to 40Mbs, has just shown 49Mbs, around a 25% increase.

I wonder if they've cranked it up to make sure any outages have a reduced effect?

Long may it continue. 

Probably topped up their meter with a stash a 50p's, lol

19 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’ve never gone for Sky Q because I’ve been told it can’t replicate our current set up.

We currently have 3 boxes, one in the living room, one in our bedroom and one in the Den upstairs. Our telly in the kitchen has a magic eye from the box in the living room, and the guest bedroom has a magic eye from the box in the Den. So we basically have 5 Sky enabled tellies in the house.

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2Thh

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Long may it continue. 

Just done another speed test, 57Mbs, :o certainly way above my normal speed, pre phone call.

I don't really need "super dooper" high speed, the previous speed was sufficient for our needs.

On 2/23/2021 at 6:49 AM, faraway saint said:

Just done another speed test, 57Mbs, :o certainly way above my normal speed, pre phone call.

I don't really need "super dooper" high speed, the previous speed was sufficient for our needs.

Been checking the speed throughout the week, still averaging over 50Mbs.

Well done whoever it was I spoke to on Monday. :thumbs2

• 2 years later...

Ok, I'm considering moving from my current Sky Q package to the Sky Stream package.

Our current package, including broadband, is about to go up to almost £80 a month, the Sky Stream is only £26. (My Sky TV package is about to fo up to £49) saving of £23 a month. 

That's considerable although you do lose some of the tech that Sky Q gives, can't record/download as the box is defunct (Need to get used to using catch up etc), no voice control (I almost never use this anyway) and VIP rewards, which, again, I never utilise.

I just spoke to Sky as I was wanting to confirm my current set up in the garden room (Mini box) would still operate and the lady was sure that wouldn't change.

Has anybody switched to Sky Stream and has there been any issues?

We get pretty decent broadband speed, averaging between 50-60mbps, although I'd imagine if that dropped my TV signal would go as this depends on a steady broadband speed, something the dish doesn't worry about. 

Edited by faraway saint

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Jeezo, the staff don’t understand their own products.

Sky Glass I assume you mean ?

I returned ours as regretted it almost immediately ; multiple issues.

The concept is good and no doubt in the future will be tweaked to perfection.

The amount of times it crashes : The ‘record’ idea ? It doesn’t remember what episode you are on ( Example it lists every episode that’s ever been aired : no continue watching option directly where you left off )

Continually having to reboot internet/tv to reconnect

You can have multi room : but not using your current mini box

You need a Sky Puck ( new mini box - like an air charge pod ) 1 free - each additional one £50

The lagging issues loading apps etc : They’ve pretty much stopped promoting it now as so many returning them : hence lower prices

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/skyglass.co.uk

People may have good experiences ?

Over 80% don’t see above

15 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Jeezo, the staff don’t understand their own products.

Sky Glass I assume you mean ?

I returned ours as regretted it almost immediately ; multiple issues.

The concept is good and no doubt in the future will be tweaked to perfection.

The amount of times it crashes : The ‘record’ idea ? It doesn’t remember what episode you are on ( Example it lists every episode that’s ever been aired : no continue watching option directly where you left off )

Continually having to reboot internet/tv to reconnect

You can have multi room : but not using your current mini box

You need a Sky Puck ( new mini box - like an air charge pod ) 1 free - each additional one £50

The lagging issues loading apps etc : They’ve pretty much stopped promoting it now as so many returning them : hence lower prices

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/skyglass.co.uk

People may have good experiences ?

Over 80% don’t see above

Not Sky Glass, it's a new product, Sky Stream.

Basically just streams the programmes to your TV, missing out the Sky Q box idea and it's "tech".

https://www.t3.com/reviews/sky-stream-review

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sky/sky-stream

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, I'm considering moving from my current Sky Q package to the Sky Stream package.

Our current package, including broadband, is about to go up to almost £80 a month, the Sky Stream is only £26. (My Sky TV package is about to fo up to £49) saving of £23 a month. 

That's considerable although you do lose some of the tech that Sky Q gives, can't record/download as the box is defunct (Need to get used to using catch up etc), no voice control (I almost never use this anyway) and VIP rewards, which, again, I never utilise.

I just spoke to Sky as I was wanting to confirm my current set up in the garden room (Mini box) would still operate and the lady was sure that wouldn't change.

Has anybody switched to Sky Stream and has there been any issues?

We get pretty decent broadband speed, averaging between 50-60mbps, although I'd imagine if that dropped my TV signal would go as this depends on a steady broadband speed, something the dish doesn't worry about. 

The more I look into this the less convinced I am it's worth the (potential) hassle.

Once you add on various bits and bobs the savings are much less than I initially thought.

The potential loss of picture if your broadband drops could be a real pain, might be different if I had fibre but as I live on the outskirts of town, that's not happening anytime soon.

My existing Sky Q box is reliable, almost never have any issues and my set up in the garden room, both TV and broadband, are rock steady.

I think I'll pass. 

Got shot of movies and sports a year ago, prices are just going up again this April, might need to think about a different set up, I only use sky for HD and recording really, it’s mainly Netflix, Disney plus and prime that I watch regularly. Anyone know if there is a system that allows you to record free view and terrestrial TV without sky box? 

4 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Got shot of movies and sports a year ago, prices are just going up again this April, might need to think about a different set up, I only use sky for HD and recording really, it’s mainly Netflix, Disney plus and prime that I watch regularly. Anyone know if there is a system that allows you to record free view and terrestrial TV without sky box? 

https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box?gclid=Cj0KCQiA6rCgBhDVARIsAK1kGPIyGb44OhTFNeBemE2RyhEXys9BzyvHIuFHy4w4pVf1-hEIMl_Svx4aAoEtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

8 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

We also don't bother with movies or sports, hardly watch movies and my Firestick gives me all the sports I need.

We're similar with the Sky Q, but I'd need to look at what I could do to keep the broadband and TV in the garden room as it runs off a Mini box. 

Edited by faraway saint