Summer Football.

Is it time for Summer football. Do we really want kids and older people sitting in freezing wet conditions. Our last 3 games have been torture to watch due to high winds. Your asking fans to pay their hard earned cash to watch games in poor conditions. Just wondered what everyone else thought?
The problem I see with summer football, is that it's during the time that the pitch is getting either relaid or other seasonal work getting done on it.

The main problem with "summer" football is that summer is only the middle of the season. In Scotland it would start and end in cold damp weather and you could have end of season games being postponed, the very time when you don't want postponed games It may also have a detrimental effect on crowds, as there would be lots of other things people can do in the nicer weather mid season, and could affect the quality of player clubs can attract as most of them would like a break during nicer weather, just like most people do.

The main problem with "summer" football is that summer is only the middle of the season. In Scotland it would start and end in cold damp weather and you could have end of season games being postponed, the very time when you don't want postponed games It may also have a detrimental effect on crowds, as there would be lots of other things people can do in the nicer weather mid season, and could affect the quality of player clubs can attract as most of them would like a break during nicer weather, just like most people do.
Yeah, I can't see players taking a holiday in Dubai during the winter break. [emoji6]

Yeah, I can't see players taking a holiday in Dubai during the winter break. [emoji6]
How many of our players would, realistically, be taking holidays in Dubai? And it's not just the holiday, it's the weather you come back to. It would also change the markets you would look at for players to mainly those who also play summer football as less players are available in winter. I'm not saying the problems are insurmountable, just that summer football is not a magic cure, it brings its own problems.

Some great comments on both sides of the debate. Personally I'd like the league to start in March. But I can understand some comments on here. .
To me, the only benefit would be the likelyhood of better weather.

Downsides (as well as those I previously mentioned) in my opinion:

It would probably necessitate laying artificial pitches as grass pitches won't reestablish during a winter closed season.

To ensure cup finals aren't postponed due to bad weather at the end of the season, they would need to be played mid season (August/September at latest) which would entail the first half of the season being cup tie heavy.

Interupted by international finals, especially if we qualify.

---

I can see why some people want it but, personally, I don't think it's viable.

1 hour ago, santaponsasaint said:

Some great comments on both sides of the debate. Personally I'd like the league to start in March. But I can understand some comments on here. .

I agree with this.

We should also routinely play midweek games in June, July and August to prevent running into the winter months.

Although  we could still see cold weather, it would be on average milder playing in April than playing in February. What we'd gain would be fewer matches completely ruined by strong winds which we mainly get in winter. Fewer games under floodlights would make running matches cheaper as well I'd have thought.

I don't buy the arguments about players not wanting to sign for us because of this. It doesn't seem to have stopped other countries having a strong league. The argument about pitch recovery is a good one but hybrid pitches might be a way of combating that. I am also not hugely persuaded that fans would have an issue because of summer holidays although this would need consideration.

As for going forwards, clubs should also allow ALL matches to be televised and accessed by ALL fans. There should be a few tiers. Fans can pay to get a premium quality feed shown live during the matches complete with interviews and commentators etc. Most fans will still go to live matches but there's a host of fans prepared to pay who can't make matches due to cost, disability, work etc who are untapped resources. Get them on board FFS. Finally, the matches should be shown after the game has completed for those unable or unwilling to afford the match fees. That game should be shown perhaps at 8pm or whatever, would be FREE of charge and looked upon as a marketing exercise for the next match for those who want to "try out watching  Saints before committing". We live in a world where people expect freebies. It's time football started waking up to this and exploiting it. Otherwise they are leaving it to hesgoal and the likes to gradually take over. Suck it up folks. I think this would fix some of the potential problems with summer football but it would require those who run our game to come into the 21st century way of doing business instead of sticking their heads in the sand.

11 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Naw. Football (in a normal season) gets me out the house during the winter. And there are plenty of things I like to do during the summer that I cannot do during the winter. Leave as is.

I agree entirely. 

As much as it can be uncomfortable sitting in the cold, I have plenty of winter clothing to fend it off. Also, in the days when we could go on holiday, I'd miss games in July/August.

51 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I agree with this.

We should also routinely play midweek games in June, July and August to prevent running into the winter months.

Although  we could still see cold weather, it would be on average milder playing in April than playing in February. What we'd gain would be fewer matches completely ruined by strong winds which we mainly get in winter. Fewer games under floodlights would make running matches cheaper as well I'd have thought.

I don't buy the arguments about players not wanting to sign for us because of this. It doesn't seem to have stopped other countries having a strong league. The argument about pitch recovery is a good one but hybrid pitches might be a way of combating that. I am also not hugely persuaded that fans would have an issue because of summer holidays although this would need consideration.

As for going forwards, clubs should also allow ALL matches to be televised and accessed by ALL fans. There should be a few tiers. Fans can pay to get a premium quality feed shown live during the matches complete with interviews and commentators etc. Most fans will still go to live matches but there's a host of fans prepared to pay who can't make matches due to cost, disability, work etc who are untapped resources. Get them on board FFS. Finally, the matches should be shown after the game has completed for those unable or unwilling to afford the match fees. That game should be shown perhaps at 8pm or whatever, would be FREE of charge and looked upon as a marketing exercise for the next match for those who want to "try out watching  Saints before committing". We live in a world where people expect freebies. It's time football started waking up to this and exploiting it. Otherwise they are leaving it to hesgoal and the likes to gradually take over. Suck it up folks. I think this would fix some of the potential problems with summer football but it would require those who run our game to come into the 21st century way of doing business instead of sticking their heads in the sand.

Utter drivel.

Firstly allowing ALL matches to be televised will, almost certainly, see a drop in attendances.

This will, slowly, see a drop in atmosphere, leading to a downward cycle of people willing to get of their arse and attend, namely you. 

Also, showing showing ALL games delayed would also lead to s drop in attendances as people would settle for this instead of the real thing, something you don't get as you don't attend.

People expect freebies? :lol: You, continually, make this reference with other forms of entertainment which bear no relevance to football, understandable as you never attend.

As for hesgoal, well. we've seen what happens to that in the last few games where you've been unable to give us your expert insight, despite it being erratic or not available.

What your post shows is you have no understanding of football. 

PS You also, unsurprisingly, show that you don't realise clubs survive on a feeling of belonging from supporters.

Your "corporate speak" approach would see football wither away and die.

Allowing it to become a TV sport and it would end up on a RIP thread on here, although "here" also wouldn't exist. 

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I agree with this.

You wont answer of course but i will ask anyway.

What should the club do for YOU to either attend games or pay for PPV ?

6 hours ago, Slarti said:
7 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
Yeah, I can't see players taking a holiday in Dubai during the winter break. emoji6.png

How many of our players would, realistically, be taking holidays in Dubai? And it's not just the holiday, it's the weather you come back to. It would also change the markets you would look at for players to mainly those who also play summer football as less players are available in winter. I'm not saying the problems are insurmountable, just that summer football is not a magic cure, it brings its own problems.

Unless I’m very much mistaken, oor Cookie has whooshed you big time there 🤣