Big Gordon McQueen

antrin

Sad news for the big Buddie.  

Good guy, was an apprentice at Linwood, then a fine fitba player as we know, from Paisley to places South and with Sconnie Botland, when we had a goodish Scottish team...

Gordon McQueen: Former Scotland, Manchester United & Leeds defender diagnosed with dementia - BBC Sport

I wish him well.

Yeah did read than bit earlier. It's a horrible thing really, friend of mine has it worst thing is with all this covid stuff haven't seen him for ages now. Even before inbetween lockdowns I could tell a little bit more had been taken, he has always been crap on phone so can't  judge how bad it's gone.

Loved the Big Man when he played with us and remember being so proud when he played for Leeds in the European Cup Final 

Also remember a game at Annfield and my Dad and Uncle got talking to Gordons Dad.At full time instead of heading to the car they took us to the dressing room where Gordon was waiting for us and took me and my cousin in to get the players autographs I’m sure you can imagine how that felt to a 9 year old fan and it made up for another St Mirren defeat

I met Gordon many years later at a sports quiz at Kelburne Cricket Club where I told him the above story but he couldn’t remember it He also forgot his fags  and smoked mine and my pals all night 😂

I actually played against big Gordon for a Feegie select, he brought a St Mirren under 21s team down to the Ferguslie astroturf must have been early 90s, I'm sure he was a coach with us for a short time, he played about half n hour of the 2nd half,  the game ended 2-2 iirc.

I remember he came into our dressing room after the game and wished us all the best....Nice guy, such a shame..

9 hours ago, Slash said:

Really sad news.

This is how we all felt when Gordon scored that outstanding header against them in 77.

F84B30F4-3C80-4DFD-B5C9-A2249E9A450F.thumb.jpeg.d738ac128a0df348c2f9def0bf86185a.jpeg

Probably the second most iconic goal for Scotland after fellow former St Mirren star Archie Gemmill’s goal against the Dutch.

If only the big man had been fit for Argentina 78......

Aye. If McQueen and McGrain had been fit, Argentina might have been an altogether different experience. 

On 2/25/2021 at 1:12 AM, Slash said:

Really sad news.

This is how we all felt when Gordon scored that outstanding header against them in 77.

F84B30F4-3C80-4DFD-B5C9-A2249E9A450F.thumb.jpeg.d738ac128a0df348c2f9def0bf86185a.jpeg

Probably the second most iconic goal for Scotland after fellow former St Mirren star Archie Gemmill’s goal against the Dutch.

If only the big man had been fit for Argentina 78......

I loved both those goals (and I know it's slightly off topic) but my favourite "iconic" Scotland goal is Dalglish v Wales  at Anfield.

4 hours ago, WeeBud said:

I loved both those goals (and I know it's slightly off topic) but my favourite "iconic" Scotland goal is Dalglish v Wales  at Anfield.

Agree with that but the second goal by McCall against Sweden at Italia 90 might push it for me. After Costa Rica, suddenly qualification from the group stage was back on again. Was watching it a packed pub and when that goal went in our entire table full of beer went everywhere. That was before the England fans made it a "cool" Instagram thing to do :thumbsdown. I've never experienced anything like that with the exception of Ian Ferguson's cup winning goal in 1987 when I was lifted by the crowd and travelled about 40 feet in the surge.

Edited by oaksoft

• 2 weeks later...