St Mirren V Ross County 27/2/2021

faraway saint

My take on today. 
- another scrappy, tired performance with too many simple mistakes and not moving the ball very well. 
-Thought Erwin had a better game but still pretty average. 

- Big German definitely short on match sharpness but feel there’s something there. Penalty was soft but not a dive IMO, contact & I do feel he looked like he had been knocked over. 
- 3 points all that matters at this stage, a lot of players dead on their feet & no midweek game will be massive for them recovering. 
- genuinely feel that’s job done for top 6, don’t see the gaps being made up by United or fake saints. 

Oh and whoever is responsible for the cameras again needs a kick up the arse. By far the worst in the league, nearly missed the penalty for a replay of a non-contentious free kick. 

Edited by bazil85

My take on today. 
- another scrappy, tired performance with too many simple mistakes and not moving the ball very well. 
- Big German definitely short on match sharpness but feel there’s something there. Penalty was soft but not a dive IMO, contact & I do feel he looked like he had been knocked over. 
- 3 points all that matters at this stage, a lot of players dead on their feet & no midweek game will be massive for them recovering. 
- genuinely feel that’s job done for top 6, don’t see the gaps being made up by United or fake saints. 

Oh and whoever is responsible for the cameras again needs a kick up the arse. By far the worst in the league, nearly missed the penalty for a replay of a non-contentious free kick. 
Re the cameras, 30sec lingering shots of the away manager while the ball in play is nonsense. I realise it's contacted out and we have zero control over it but it's pretty poor.

54 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Going to be Difficult Partick Thistle weren't the first to lose all 5 post-split games and our only chance of points is Livingston and Aberdeen. Think Motherwell are safe from the drop now too. Yeah think he thought he might get slaughtered after what he said (or didn't say about Taylor and Murphy) so got in first to cover his as*.

IMO anywhere else on the pitch that is a free kick he clips his ankle.

I reserve the right to change my mind after BBC Alba and trial by Sportscene.

I don't think there's a forward in the land who wouldn't have gone down in those circumstances.

Someone should tell John "never a penalty" Hughes that it's a different millennium from the one he played in.

Just seen the Kiltie booking in the Killie/Utd. game - now that is a dive!

Edited by Bud the Baker

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
6 minutes ago, bazil85 said:
My take on today. 

Re the cameras, 30sec lingering shots of the away manager while the ball in play is nonsense. I realise it's contacted out and we have zero control over it but it's pretty poor.

Yeah same, I realise it isn’t the club but someone needs to tell them to stop doing it. Haven’t noticed it in any away games this season. 

Penalty was only one incident, was a few times they completely missed passages of play. 

3 hours ago, Hendo said:

Top 6 within touching distance, fantastic. Players looked knackered but dug in.

Only gripe from today was the TV coverage - lost count of the number of times they showed replays or shots of the dugout as play raged on 😡

They almost missed the penalty.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Going to be Difficult Partick Thistle weren't the first to lose all 5 post-split games and our only chance of points is Livingston and Aberdeen. 

Well, it clearly isn't. We've already beaten Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Livingston twice this season. We've also pushed Hibs close twice.

Why do you post stuff like this? I'm genuinely interested.

24 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't think there's a forward in the land who wouldn't have gone down in those circumstances.

Someone should tell John "never a penalty" Hughes that it's a different millennium from the one he played in.

Just seen the Kiltie booking in the Killie/Utd. game - now that is a dive!

IMO it is a penalty. Not a huge amount of contact, but you see fouls like that given all over the pitch nowadays.

We certainly rode our luck in the 2nd half, although, much like Alnwick's save, it took an excellent save in the 1st half by Laidlaw to stop us going 1 up in the first half.

Thought taking Connolly off and leaving McAllister on was rather baffling, unless Connolly was injured.

Quaner, understandably, looked a bit rusty, but I think if he gets to run at defences he'll cause them problems.

Fantastic to be deservedly in sixth place and free from relegation worries two games before the split.

JG needs to get a good few of the players on new contracts ASAP.

I wonder if Hughes will be pulled up.for saying Quaner "dived"?

I can understand him being miffed.

County put so much into that second half and could have taken a point on.another day, which would not have been undeserved.

BUT... we fought all the way and ground out the win. Players were out on their feet but still throwing their bodies in front of the ball.

Penalty? Not sure.

Dive? Absolutely not.
Out of order John.

Well, it clearly isn't. We've already beaten Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Livingston twice this season. We've also pushed Hibs close twice.
Why do you post stuff like this? I'm genuinely interested.
The sensible part of me suggests i should ignore you but ok here.

In our most recent 5 matches against all those teams our record is 2 draw 3 defeats.

Goals scored 2 goals conceded 9.

We have picked up 1 point at Ibrox in 30 years.

We have played Hibs maybe 9 times since returning to top league still to win think our record is 1 draw 8 defeats.

Celtic are absolutely shi#e but still beat us 4-0 less than 2 weeks ago.

In general the most recent and long term history against the 3 teams i mentioned we wouldn't get points against backs up everything i said also i'm sure you wpuld agree we have been pretty poor recently.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The sensible part of me suggests i should ignore you but ok here.

In our most recent 5 matches against all those teams our record is 2 draw 3 defeats.

Goals scored 2 goals conceded 9.

We have picked up 1 point at Ibrox in 30 years.

We have played Hibs maybe 9 times since returning to top league still to win think our record is 1 draw 8 defeats.

Celtic are absolutely shi#e but still beat us 4-0 less than 2 weeks ago.

In general the most recent and long term history against the 3 teams i mentioned we wouldn't get points against backs up everything i said also i'm sure you wpuld agree we have been pretty poor recently.

And given we've taken so many points/wins off those teams above us the sensible part of ME says I should ignore YOU.

And I'm going to listen to myself.

If you're going to start your post with that shite you are wasting your time typing out anything else because I'm not going to read it.

Have a nice night.

Edited by oaksoft

7 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

I wonder if Hughes will be pulled up.for saying Quaner "dived"?

I can understand him being miffed.

County put so much into that second half and could have taken a point on.another day, which would not have been undeserved.

BUT... we fought all the way and ground out the win. Players were out on their feet but still throwing their bodies in front of the ball.

Penalty? Not sure.

Dive? Absolutely not.
Out of order John.

I think if Goodwin hasn't been pulled up for (rightly IMO) accusing Greg Taylor of diving, I think Yogi will be safe.

As you say, the penalty decision is debateable. The TV pictures don't prove it one way or the other.  Similarly, the Durmus tackle on Naismith.

I think the triple sub disrupted the midfield unit and they completely lost their shape for a while.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, ron said:
Would take Naismith back for next season

In place of who ?

Fraser, is out of contract end season, Naismith far better player as well going forward...