St Mirren V Ross County 27/2/2021

faraway saint

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's one of these statements that always leave it open to debate.

IMO the CHANCES are we won't take anything off Rangers, we were on good form at that time and possibly had our strongest squad, that ISN'T the case now.

As for Celtic and Hibs, I still see nothing from the former, possibly a point against the latter.

Aberdeen and Livingston, they are both heads or tails for me, and we would HAVE to improve our current form which, TBH, has been poor.

Hibs are eminently beatable.

They struggled to overcome 10 men a few weeks ago and their 1-0 victory at home was hardly a resounding victory.

Can't really argue about the 3 - 0 defeat, other than we're a different team now, in a good way, compared to then.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

There isn't one player that we have currently in the squad, that we couldn't replace with a better player.

Stating the obvious. That could be said for every team in the country.  :unsure:   

Thou I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to replace Alnwick or one  of the best penalties takers we've had for a long time in McGrath.     

Edited by pod

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Depending on where we meet Rangers in the split, there is a very, very good chance that the league will be wrapped up and they'll still be in Europe. So so might well be coming up a heavily rotated Rangers side. I agree that it's unlikely to take anything but there's no point in writing it off. 

We've also had many a decent trip to Easter Road in the past against Hibs teams in better form than this one currently is.

As for Celtic, yup, again very unlikely but they have completely chucked it this season. 

But I wouldn't say there's no possibility of taking anything from those games. On the contrary, I say we'd have a pretty fair shout at anything between 1-4 points from those three games.

Aye, we'll see. 🙄

PS You've also forgotten that on our current form we are unlikely to beat most teams in the bottom 6. 

Edited by faraway saint

39 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's a bit of a bizarre comment given we've already beaten Celtic and Rangers this season and there's been very little between us and Hibs the last two games.

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It's one of these statements that always leave it open to debate.

IMO the CHANCES are we won't take anything off Rangers, we were on good form at that time and possibly had our strongest squad, that ISN'T the case now.

As for Celtic and Hibs, I still see nothing from the former, possibly a point against the latter.

Aberdeen and Livingston, they are both heads or tails for me, and we would HAVE to improve our current form which, TBH, has been poor.

Aye, in fairness to Ronnie (who let’s face it is usually a glass half empty kinda guy on here), I think all he’s saying is that it’s unlikely we’ll get anything from those games and history/stats would suggest that’s probably a fair statement.

I’m with FS in our best chance of post split points being against Livi and Aberdeen. Hibs will depend as much on what Hibs team turns up on the day as they are very inconsistent. We obviously have a chance against them. Celtic and Rangers I think we can all accept will be unlikely although of course not impossible.

All that said......let’s just secure the top 6 slot first!!

37 minutes ago, pod said:

Stating the obvious. That could be said for every team in the country.  :unsure:   

Thou I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to replace Alnwick or one  of the best penalties takers we've had for a long time in McGrath.     

Neither would I.

Fraser is replaceable though, which is the point I was making, which most people would pick up upon.

57 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Fraser has been decent a 7 out of 10 most weeks

It would be harsh if no contract was offered

Since he had played every game ( i think) in a defence that had lost so few goals, there is no reason for him not to get an offer.

Either he sign it is an other matter. 

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, it's one of them "soft" penalties with no additional drama required.

I agree with this. I read a lot of the comments on here before seeing the incident. I was expecting to see a Michael Owen effort from Quaner but it was far from that. If that happened outside the box, it is a free kick and no-one bats an eyelid. Inside the box it's a "soft' penalty that could have gone either way. Definitely not a dive though.

I am sure Jamie McGrath will have his first full cap for Ireland very soon he is an exceptional player in my opinion

7 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I am sure Jamie McGrath will have his first full cap for Ireland very soon he is an exceptional player in my opinion

Without all the penaltys he has scored don't think McGrath has been any betters than others..

On 2/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, BanburyBud said:

On a slightly different note, I am very disappointed with the manager’s comments in relation to the penalty and about Quaner. He has called his own player a possible cheat and, whether he thinks it or not, should not berate his own player in public. 
this is more about his own previous comments about other teams and to save his own face he calls out his own player!! The lad didn’t dive as there was, in my view, clumsy contact. 

This.

He clearly got there first. The County player has poked his foot at it but it's impossible to tell from the one angle the have from behind play how much contact his hip has into Quaner's side as he stretched to win the ball first. 
It is soft but most likely there's enough of a shunt while his weight was shifting across to throw him off balance.

3 minutes ago, Katie Bear said:

This.

He clearly got there first. The County player has poked his foot at it but it's impossible to tell from the one angle the have from behind play how much contact his hip has into Quaner's side as he stretched to win the ball first. 
It is soft but most likely there's enough of a shunt while his weight was shifting across to throw him off balance.

Bollox for christ sake admit it was never a penalty in a million years. But do I care not a jot. 

Why?
There isn't one player that we have currently in the squad, that we couldn't replace with a better player.
I like Fraser as a player and he has had a very good season for us. However, there are better RB's out there. If one of those better RB's comes along, and is willing to sign for us, for the right money, then we would be daft to pass up the opportunity. However, it's probably a moot point as I'm sure JG will be keen to keep him and if the offer is right, Fraser is more likely to re-sign for us than not. Although, given Fraser only signed a one year deal, I'm sure JG has contingency plans in place if he looks elsewhere.
I don't think it's worth replacing him with Naismith though, as I think that they're of a similar standard, albeit they have different attributes. Both have faults.

In our price bracket I dont think we would get much better than Marcus Fraser. I think him and Tait have been brilliant signings. Now its down to Fitzy and co to try get Marcus on a new contract.