Rangers v St Mirren 6/3/21

faraway saint

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I think Livi proved yesterday that when you try to avoid losing you end up with the exact result you are trying to avoid.

There's no reason for our team to go into this match believing we could get smoked.

We should approach it as we would an early season game and try to win it IMO.

If we DO get smoked, then we get smoked and next season we make sure we win those games against bottom half teams which left our 6th place in peril.

For me the whole point of competitive sport is to have a mindset of trying to win matches. Trying to avoid defeat kills the entire purpose.

I think on reflection I’d rather we achieved top 6 this season by any means, if the alternative is simply to learn our lessons and try again next year as you suggest. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I think Livi proved yesterday that when you try to avoid losing you end up with the exact result you are trying to avoid.

A very interesting suggestion, which would only be proven true if... say...

...JG had set Saints up several times this season with a structure that we, as fans, had little faith in... a team that has little chance of success e.g. No midfielders, crappy forwards, unexceptional strikers...

In short, a team that fans believe has been set up to avoid winning!

And yet, the points have accrued.  :o

Spooky.

12 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I can see them winning all 3 to be honest. In which case we’ll need to beat Accies and hope our GD is better...............unless we can get something at Ibrox. 

The fermers haven't won 3 league games on the bounce all season, I cant see that starting now. 

I think we'll definitely have to win against Accies though. 

1 hour ago, munoz said:

The fermers haven't won 3 league games on the bounce all season, I cant see that starting now. 

I think we'll definitely have to win against Accies though. 

What might go in the Fakes favour is the bars being closed, so no mad party for days like our players did 8 years ago. Aye 8 years :shockaroony

As you say, 3 points v Accies is a must. 

There's no reason for our team to go into this match believing we could get smoked.
We should approach it as we would an early season game and try to win it IMO.
If we DO get smoked, then we get smoked and next season we make sure we win those games against bottom half teams which left our 6th place in peril.
For me the whole point of competitive sport is to have a mindset of trying to win matches. Trying to avoid defeat kills the entire purpose.
Totally agree...
They failed to learn from our mistake in the semi final.

We set up to not lose a very winnable game by nullifying the opposition rather than concentrating on our own game.

The Livi manager, being such a genius, did the exact same thing in the final and surrendered the trophy which was well within their grasp! Stupidity!

Rangers will expect us to try and nullify them... They will be prepared to counter that.

They won't expect to be challenged!

They won't like it up 'em! [emoji41]

27 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

There was talk of Rangers being able to win the league against us on Saturday, but by my calculations they can’t. Even if they beat Livi on Wednesday and us on Saturday, they can’t win the league until Celtic have played and lost and Celtic don’t play until the Sunday. 
Agreed?

The title could never be won against us,one of our more knowledgeable posters got it wrong again.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Well if St. Johnstone aren’t going to win all three, why would we definitely need to beat Accies?

Because if they win 2 and draw the other game they'll be on 40 pts, meaning a win against Hamilton will be enough for us.

49 minutes ago, munoz said:

Because if they win 2 and draw the other game they'll be on 40 pts, meaning a win against Hamilton will be enough for us.

Yes but you said we would need to beat Hamilton. We wouldn’t. A draw could be enough depending on GD. 

I’m being pedantic I know, but I’m a stickler for the facts. 😘

To be brutally honest to get anything from this match will be a huge bonus. SG will have them fired up to push for the entire league season unbeaten. As much as it would drive some mad I wouldn't be bothered if we didn't venture out of own penalty box if it meant getting a point out of it.

However, I do think Accies with beat the perth lot especially as it's on their howlin pitch and they are more used to scrapping to stay in league.

Yes but you said we would need to beat Hamilton. We wouldn’t. A draw could be enough depending on GD. 
I’m being pedantic I know, but I’m a stickler for the facts. [emoji8]

If St J get 7 points we would need to beat the Accies (assuming we lose at Ibrox) We are 3 goals ahead with an inferior goals scored record. Their 2 wins would add 2 minimum to their GD and our loss would mean a minimum of 1 to take away from ours.

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I didn’t think God was Shull. I thought he was Cap’n, Wendy, Hiram etc. 

Maybe but its exactly the same stalking crap if you retort... maybe he has fantasises about Shull... mind u Shull is a saints fan not a troll.... any the prick is on ignore as he is useless

43 minutes ago, Charlotte Saint said:

If St J get 7 points we would need to beat the Accies (assuming we lose at Ibrox) We are 3 goals ahead with an inferior goals scored record. Their 2 wins would add 2 minimum to their GD and our loss would mean a minimum of 1 to take away from ours.

Like I said, I’m a stickler for the facts. 🤣

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

Maybe but its exactly the same stalking crap if you retort... maybe he has fantasises about Shull... mind u Shull is a saints fan not a troll.... any the prick is on ignore as he is useless

Thats why u keep answering wee-man, I'll take it as a victory!