Rangers v St Mirren 6/3/21

faraway saint

16 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

First few games he was playing much further forward and was picking out some nice through balls.  He has gradually played deeper and deeper and is really not what I hoped he would be. There is no drive in the middle of the park at all and we need someone to take control and get us up the pitch. 

To be fair, I'd imagine that's where JDH has been told to play.

Played further forward there's no doubt he has the ability to make more telling passes.

I think one of our major targets for next season needs to be a midfielder along the lines of Gogic or what we thought we were getting with Sheron.

With that type of player, and JDH alongside McGrath, I think that would be the basis of a strong midfield.

However, I think he'll be offski and we'll have identified a potential replacement already.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Played further forward there's no doubt he has the ability to make more telling passes.

I think one of our major targets for next season needs to be a midfielder along the lines of Gogic or what we thought we were getting with Sheron.

With that type of player, and JDH alongside McGrath, I think that would be the basis of a strong midfield.

However, I think he'll be offski and we'll have identified a potential replacement already.

We need more from Ethan I know he is still young but for someone that is getting a game every week he needs to contribute more

9 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Which is my concern, the same thing happened with Ethan, he's now hanging about just in front of the back 4. 

38 minutes ago, Smithers Jones said:

Which is my concern, the same thing happened with Ethan, he's now hanging about just in front of the back 4. 

Which is why we need  a Goodwin type player to sit in front of the defence and allow the likes of Erhahon. McGrath and JDH/replacement to contribute in an attacking role. They're all capable of doing so. 

I think tactically both JDH and Ethan are being told to stay deep in certain games. It seems Goodwin still has the "don't lose" mindset.
It's obvious he has despite him trying to claim otherwise.

Imo we have only shown an attacking mindset around 5/6 games all season in league and cup.

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

By my reckoning Dylan Reid must be our new youngest ever first team player replacing Scott Gemmill - Congratulations! :clapping

Given that big clubs tend to splash out on potential these days how much would you be prepared to let him go for this summer - £2/3Million? 💰

20351885-557E-4C3A-8740-78D568B6E9CA.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Imo we have only shown an attacking mindset around 5/6 games all season in league and cup.

JDH likes the easy pass sidewards or backwards, Ethan is still nervous and looks scared 90% of the time. Defo doesn't work both in team...

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I think Goodwin will defo set-up not to lose Hamilton game and not all out go for win. He will hope fakes draw or get beat and he matches that.

On 3/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, faraway saint said:

Rangers have only let in 9 goals from 31 league games, that's a major problem right there.

It could be a bonus there's no crowd as that could really get their tails up so, as you say, we need them to have an off day and we, which we shouldn't forget have been poor recently, have to really produce a big performance from almost nowhere. 

20 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Are we going to have to have another discussion about why this is irrelevant to today's game? :lol:

Remind me how many we scored against them last time out? My poor memory is hazy.

I wouldn't (In fact I didn't :rolleyes:) have said irrelevant BEFORE the game and certainly not IRRELEVANT now.

Will you never learn? :lol:

13 hours ago, God of war said:

JDH not the player i thought he was going be. Not signed a contract so get Flynn in there and drop him till hes free to go...not to bothered if he leaves tbh...give me Flynn over him anyday...

TBH totally agree. He is not kicking on from initial involvement and his passing is not up to scratch. Time to withdraw the contract and get Flynn into the team. The only current midfield player who should be a stick on is McGrath. The rest are struggling just now. 

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I wouldn't (In fact I didn't :rolleyes:) have said irrelevant BEFORE the game and certainly not IRRELEVANT now.

Will you never learn? :lol:

The past is totally irrelevant and doesn't have to influence the future unless you allow it to.

You'll never dissuade me of that.

On 3/6/2021 at 8:38 PM, God of war said:

JDH not the player i thought he was going be. Not signed a contract so get Flynn in there and drop him till hes free to go...not to bothered if he leaves tbh...give me Flynn over him anyday...

On 3/7/2021 at 10:08 AM, Ethan said:

TBH totally agree. He is not kicking on from initial involvement and his passing is not up to scratch. Time to withdraw the contract and get Flynn into the team. The only current midfield player who should be a stick on is McGrath. The rest are struggling just now. 

Sad to say I have to agree with these posts. The lad is a half decent player no doubt,  but he’s not all that. 
If he signs a new deal I’ll be happy enough, if he doesn’t I won’t lose any sleep over him leaving. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 10:57 PM, turrabuddie said:

That mindset must change for the Accies game - we need to be set up to attack and go for the win.
From the start.

We do need to go for a win. I think both teams will do, and it will begin tight but both teams will be willing to venture forward hoping to get winning goal(s).

Given generally we don't lose too many goals but are not prolific either, chances are a 1 nil win to either team. They are poorer defensively but often grab a goal and occasionally a couple.

However, given that both teams will play for the win, I'll go for a 2 v 1 win to us... I think the pressure on them is greater and think/hope we will go in front and keep the lead. They will fight right to the end though !   C O Y S  after lots of pain and suffering - GIVE THE FANS SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT ! 

:spud7

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

We do need to go for a win. I think both teams will do, and it will begin tight but both teams will be willing to venture forward hoping to get winning goal(s).

Given generally we don't lose too many goals but are not prolific either, chances are a 1 nil win to either team. They are poorer defensively but often grab a goal and occasionally a couple.

However, given that both teams will play for the win, I'll go for a 2 v 1 win to us... I think the pressure on them is greater and think/hope we will go in front and keep the lead. They will fight right to the end though !   C O Y S  after lots of pain and suffering - GIVE THE FANS SOMETHING TO CHEER ABOUT ! 

:spud7

Wrong thread ya trumpet. :lol: