The Next Level???

Ronnie

St Johnstone came back to Top League 10 years ago since then they have -

Won League Cup

Won Scottish Cup

Top 6, 6 times

Europa league 3 times.

Listening to St Mirren fans everywhere at the minute we are having a Great season imo our season is good, St Johnstone's season is Great.

To get to the next level i.e what St Johnstone have achieved last 10 years what do we need to do???

5 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Won League Cup

Won Scottish Cup

Top 6, 6 times

Europa league 3 times.

Listening to St Mirren fans everywhere at the minute we are having a Great season imo our season is good, St Johnstone's season is Great.

To get to the next level i.e what St Johnstone have achieved last 10 years what do we need to do???

The key factor, IMO, has been a good manager.

I did think they would struggle when they changed managers but it seems they have another decent manager from right within the club.

Lucky, eh? 

I did think they would struggle when they changed managers but it seems they have another decent manager from right within the club.
Lucky, eh? 
To be honest i'm a little jealous of their record although top 6 isn't really a big deal to me it's more the 2 cup victories and Europa league appearances i would have liked to have.

42 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Won League Cup

Won Scottish Cup

Top 6, 6 times

Europa league 3 times.

For a start, we could have more of our fans recognise that our likely best top flight league finish since the 1980s from the position we were in during October would represent a fabulous season for us. 

As for the next level? I don't think we could achieve any level of success where "glass half full" fans didn't hunt like a ferret for the shred of negativity to obsess over.

In the meantime, I am happy to continue watching our team hunt down Livingston for that European slot and believing fully that we can do just that by the end of the season.

Won League Cup
Won Scottish Cup
Top 6, 6 times
Europa league 3 times.

We accept mediocrity.

Just now, delpierro said:
52 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Won League Cup
Won Scottish Cup
Top 6, 6 times
Europa league 3 times.

We accept mediocrity.

Whit? Who accepts mediocrity? Other than a handful of our fanbase?

Our manager certainly doesn't.

Our board backed him financially so clearly they don't.

Our players clearly have tried to win every single game and have competed equally against virtually every team in the league so obviously they don't.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Whit? Who accepts mediocrity? Other than a handful of our fanbase?

Our manager certainly doesn't.

Our board backed him financially so clearly they don't.

Our players clearly have tried to win every single game and have competed equally against virtually every team in the league so obviously they don't.

Conveniently forgets over half our games this season. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Won League Cup

Won Scottish Cup

Top 6, 6 times

Europa league 3 times.

A manager who learns from mistakes would be a decent start!

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I don't think there is a next level for a diddy club like Saints. 

Our priority each season has to be staying in the top flight - if this is achieved then we'll have some good seasons and some meh seasons.

Relegation is a bad season.

The Championship is purgatory from where we cannot win a major cup.

Indeed, this get's overlooked as people, and I can understand to a certain extent, get caught up in the euphoria of winning games in the lower league.

Many "prefer" these games, not me, top league, as you say, we cannot do anything in the cups when in the lower league.

'the next level' should be to stay a top six team. Let's face it the SPL is made up of 2 teams going for title and the other 10 going for 4  places in top 6  to avoid the relegation scramble of the bottom half when league splits.

Indeed we are having a great season, hopefully carry on next season and beyond.

I don't think there is a next level for a diddy club like Saints. 
Our priority each season has to be staying in the top flight - if this is achieved then we'll have some good seasons and some meh seasons.
Relegation is a bad season.
The Championship is purgatory from where we cannot win a major cup.
Indeed, this get's overlooked as people, and I can understand to a certain extent, get caught up in the euphoria of winning games in the lower league.
Many "prefer" these games, not me, top league, as you say, we cannot do anything in the cups when in the lower league.
I asked the same question on St Mirren fans facebook page and quite a few younger fans dismissing cup wins as meaningless putting league position over winning a trophy.

Me i don't get that at all if we finish anywhere from 5th - 10th and have a good chance of winning a trophy or like St Johnstone win 2 in 7 years.

I asked the same question on St Mirren fans facebook page and quite a few younger fans dismissing cup wins as meaningless putting league position over winning a trophy.

Me i don't get that at all if we finish anywhere from 5th - 10th and have a good chance of winning a trophy or like St Johnstone win 2 in 7 years.

It’s 2 in 137 years. They’re small fry compared to the Buds , and always will be .

7 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

It would also appear that the league position is sending some mad, not so long ago it COULD have went other way and ended up in lg1 and that should be a sobering thought really.

SPL mediocrity I will take any day😉

Yeah, although I agree with @Ronnies argument that the Fakes are the team we should aspire to emulate we're doing better than some diddy teams - I always see Scottish football as being split into tiers

1. The OF
  2. Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs
  3. The F/T teams (Diddy Clubs)
  4. The P/T teams (Diddy Squared Clubs)

Whisper it softly but the Fakes have to be the Diddy Club of the last decade or so...

1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:

The Fakes make good signings as they have a poor youth policy

Were it's players or managers they get it right more than often

Down to good scouting

Wages help. The average salary of a Fakes' player is £62,691 Ours is £48,621. That is why maximizing income is important.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Wages help. The average salary of a Fakes' player is £62,691 Ours is £48,621. That is why maximizing income is important.

If you're quoting from statista website that was last year.

Would be interesting to compare figures this season as I suspect we'll be a bit higher than that.

Still. £50k to kick a football. FFS. Makes you weep.

20 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Lucky, eh? 

Agree, added to fact they  had one manager for 7 years , not 7 managers in 2 years

Consistency at top = progress

Lets not forget what happened to Thistle after their top 6 finish- Relegation, Relegation, obscurity !!!

Staying in this league will always been priority No 1, we hold on the Goody, and some of our better players then maybe we can challenge top 6 again. Goody will get better, but I do prefer when he goes for it, our away record has been the shining light, massive black mark was our Semi tactics

BTW- Does anyone know prize money for 6th ?

40 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Lets not forget what happened to Thistle after their top 6 finish- Relegation, Relegation, obscurity !!!

Staying in this league will always been priority No 1, we hold on the Goody, and some of our better players then maybe we can challenge top 6 again. Goody will get better, but I do prefer when he goes for it, our away record has been the shining light, massive black mark was our Semi tactics

BTW- Does anyone know prize money for 6th ?

Can't see anything for this season,  but last season was this....

https://www.sportekz.com/football/scottish-premiership-prize-money/

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If you're quoting from statista website that was last year.

Would be interesting to compare figures this season as I suspect we'll be a bit higher than that.

Still. £50k to kick a football. FFS. Makes you weep.

Couldn't afford the pay cut