1987 Photo

Bobby Holmes. I used to be mates with his son (we've lost touch). After a holiday in Spain we arrived back at Gilmour St and I said to Stevie "right, see you later" to which he replied "hang on, you'll get a lift".

His Dad had come from Erskine to meet us and drove me home. Although the journey only took a few minutes I think I came across as a bit starstruck, asking him about the 55/56 LC final.

BH was also Motherwell's physio when they won the Scottish Cup 4 years after us!

14 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Bobby Holmes. I used to be mates with his son (we've lost touch). After a holiday in Spain we arrived back at Gilmour St and I said to Stevie "right, see you later" to which he replied "hang on, you'll get a lift".

His Dad had come from Erskine to meet us and drove me home. Although the journey only took a few minutes I think I came across as a bit starstruck, asking him about the 55/56 LC final.

BH was also Motherwell's physio when they won the Scottish Cup 4 years after us!

He also welcomed a starstruck apprentice intae his (The Section Boss's) office at Pressed Steel in 1967/68.

An awfy nice man.  :)

On 3/2/2021 at 9:18 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

He was also Dumbarton's physio when they won the league in 1972 , with us trailing in a few points behind !

It's a Jags (or Murrawell) strip for me.

(Though the tall wall Adverts at the far end looking a wee bit like a Tannadice.  Wrong strip... though they played in b+w hoops at that time.  Maybe they put on a changed strip to face SAINTS?)

ETA:

Too many hoops for Murrawell.  It's Jags.

Edited by antrin

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Who was the fake physio we had after Bobby?

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Eddie McDonald?

He was one of my Tech teachers at Camphill. 

My recollection was that Andy Dinning succeeded Bobby Holmes and Eddie McDonald was a coach and looked after the reserve team.

9 minutes ago, smcc said:

My recollection was that Andy Dinning succeeded Bobby Holmes and Eddie McDonald was a coach and looked after the reserve team.

Aye thinking about it, Eddie was probably late 70s.

He was definitely the guy who ran on the pitch with the magic sponge, which was pretty much the role of a physio (or trainer as they were commonly known) in those days. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I had a look back at photographs.

Anyone recognise the person in the tracksuit from 1990. Might be the person I seem to have remembered.

Screenshot_20210304-162347_Chrome.jpeg

Bobby Pender was his name.  Had apparently worked with Van Basten when he was injured but was found to be a fake by one of the tabloids.

33 minutes ago, scottd said:

Bobby Pender was his name.  Had apparently worked with Van Basten when he was injured but was found to be a fake by one of the tabloids.

Very unusual surname.  Only once have I known it before - Mike Pender, founder member of The Searchers. 

Here he is, singing.

(1) The Searchers - Needles and Pins (Shindig) - YouTube

This may be slightly off-topic, but it IS a thread which is... er.... searching for identities and answers....  :)

14 minutes ago, antrin said:

Very unusual surname.  Only once have I known it before - Mike Pender, founder member of The Searchers. 

Here he is, singing.

This may be slightly off-topic, but it IS a thread which is... er.... searching for identities and answers....  :)

Agreed.

I’ve known a...

Fender - A guy John I worked with at WH Malcolm back in the 80s.

Pending - A professor call Pat I knew from the Wacky Races

Bender - A robot I knew from Futurama

Gender - A thing I knew that used to be fairly simple to understand.

.........but never a Pender.

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Here he is, singing.

There was a guy in the year below me at Merskworth had the surname Pender. A snotty wee oik from Kilbarchan.

Pender the bender.