7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Correct.

I'm pretty sure someone was in favour of it but I can't remember who.

It wasn't baz though.

From what I recall (and only saw through others quoting him, so there might have been more to it), he was against this specific proposal but not against colts in the league in general.

10 minutes ago, Slarti said:

From what I recall (and only saw through others quoting him, so there might have been more to it), he was against this specific proposal but not against colts in the league in general.

Not true... I remember him saying he would seriously consider chucking it altogether if they let them in, Which were the thoughts going through my head at the time.. that's why I remember it... was quite surprised Baz felt the same 

Your memory serves you well.
Not true... I remember him saying he would seriously consider chucking it altogether if they let them in, Which were the thoughts going through my head at the time.. that's why I remember it... was quite surprised Baz felt the same 
It's true, here it is.

In the format that was published in the media (the rangers proposal), absolutely not. I feel it clearly only benefits two clubs and includes many missed opportunities regarding developing Scottish talent. In theory I think Colts could work but other clubs passing that proposal would be complete madness in my opinion. Others can of course disagree and are welcome to try and change my views on it.  

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

:lol:

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

It's true, here it is.

The king of the search function. :happyclapper

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

It's true, here it is.

Correct, I don’t think it’s the right approach to say 100% no in all circumstances to colts but we have only ever had a rehash of the same proposal over & over. 

That’s not to say there isn’t a possibility that exists where I would favour colts but it certainly wouldn’t be one pandering to Celtic & Rangers which is all we’ve ever been offered over the decades. 

Edit: nice to have a wee bit of agreement every once in a while 😂

Edited by bazil85

On 3/16/2021 at 3:44 PM, bazil85 said:
On 3/16/2021 at 1:50 PM, portmahomack saint said:

Hearing there's to be a vote next month on bringing the Celtic and Rangers colts into the league... Seemingly it's down to the rest of the league to get their colt players ready for their first team or the market to sell on if they're not good enough.. While they stifle young talent to concentrate on the foreign market... 

An absolute red line for me in football, I hope (and trust) St Mirren will vote with the seemingly clear fan opinion around Colts and get the proposal in the bin. 

A message for Dafty Faraway :lol: 

G I R U Y 

let's do this GIF by NETFLIX

Correct, I don’t think it’s the right approach to say 100% no in all circumstances to colts but we have only ever had a rehash of the same proposal over & over. 

That’s not to say there isn’t a possibility that exists where I would favour colts but it certainly wouldn’t be one pandering to Celtic & Rangers which is all we’ve ever been offered over the decades. 

Edit: nice to have a wee bit of agreement every once in a while [emoji23]
"once in a while"?

Surely you mean "for once"?

Hallelujah! [emoji23][emoji12]

56 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

He's an absolute shambles with this, no consideration for the views of Hamilton fans (which I can't imagine are out of line with other clubs & the recent fan poll). 

Also the irony in saying "there's got to be a pathway" when the Colts proposal he's championing doesn't provide one.

5 hours ago, bazil85 said:

He's an absolute shambles with this, no consideration for the views of Hamilton fans (which I can't imagine are out of line with other clubs & the recent fan poll). 

Also the irony in saying "there's got to be a pathway" when the Colts proposal he's championing doesn't provide one.

And there is a way for these lads to progress. get out of the @rsecheeks and go to a so called provincial club like, er, Hamilton. They had 14 graduates in their squad so for their manager to come out with this guff is absolute nonsense.

I wonder which of the OF clubs Brian Rice supports.

Because he'll never persuade me that his rage is about the lack of oppportunities for a bunch of young players.

A normal manager would be saying "Look, send your players to clubs like ours and we'll develop them in a properly competitive manner where they can truly feel the pressure of a relegation or promotion battle. They can't do that in a colt team which can't go up or down the leagues"

Instead, he laments the enormous amounts of money the OF are losing by not developing these players.

He needs to accept that battle is lost on this.

Would be interesting to see how many clubs supported this proposal and how far short they fell of the numbers needed to secure a vote.

Edited by oaksoft

Pinched off P&B

And Celtic’s first contribution to this brave new world is to sign a lad from Watford who is eligible for the Republic of Ireland.

They have a cheek to dress it up as good for Scottish football when it isn’t about that at all.

The irony of denying a  lad coming through the system a place in the Colts team will be lost on them

Another off P&B. Seems to be a Dutchman living in Dundee who appears to know his stuff

I love how they always come up with the good Dutch development and the fact that we have B-teams, as if they have had some major effect. We have had B-teams for about 10 years in The Netherlands and since then the Dutch national team only had one decent tournament: a 3rd place at the 2014 World Cup. But we had a lot of luck with that draw, squeezing through against Mexico after a dodgy penalty awarded to Robben and beaten Costa Rica on penalties while beating Brazil in the 3rd place play-off who were completely deflated after getting humiliated 7-1 by Germany. Other than that, we got knocked out of Euro 2012 after 3 defeats, didn't qualify for Euro 2016 & WC 2018 and had an uninspiring last 16 exit against Czech Republic at Euro 2020. For a country with more than triple Scotland's population, that shouldn't exactly be something to aspire to. There have obviously been some excellent generations and world-class talent coming through before the last decade. Think of the great teams of 1974, 1988 and 1998, plus great club sides like Ajax 1995 and some world class players in the 2000's. All of that has been achieved without any colt teams.

Meanwhile, they ignore that all 34 Dutch full-time teams have been given the chance of having colts in the league system. Out of those, 22 never bothered, 6 had one at some point but concluded they didn't have the desired effect and only 6 remain that are still in there (4 in the 2nd tier, 2 in the 3rd tier). Even Feyenoord, arguably the club with the best youth system after Ajax, never bothered with it. They claim it's not that advantageous and prefer a system of loans. Obviously Ajax disagree and do support the colt system, but it's not this "undisputed" success if the 2 largest academies in the country don't even agree with each other on the issue...

• 10 months later...