Hamilton v St Mirren Sat 20th March

I don't know why all the finger pointing at couple of heavy defeats. We were in driving seat today and to be fair against easier opposition that the fakes were. It's all good blaming JG but he isn't on the pitch. The captain should shoulder blame too, doesn't seem to be able to motivate team. I mean doing an online interview stating there was a bit of nervousness couple of days before game really doesn't fill anyone with confidence surely not from captain anyway.

Formationwise stick to 442 for gods sake and get durmus and connolly making fullbacks life a misery and getting ball into box with 2 strikers going for it and stop fannying around with goal kicks.

They had a great chance, blew it and now need their arses kicking for it. 

2 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I don't know why all the finger pointing at couple of heavy defeats. We were in driving seat today and to be fair against easier opposition that the fakes were. It's all good blaming JG but he isn't on the pitch. The captain should shoulder blame too, doesn't seem to be able to motivate team. I mean doing an online interview stating there was a bit of nervousness couple of days before game really doesn't fill anyone with confidence surely not from captain anyway.

Formationwise stick to 442 for gods sake and get durmus and connolly making fullbacks life a misery and getting ball into box with 2 strikers going for it and stop fannying around with goal kicks.

They had a great chance, blew it and now need their arses kicking for it. 

😂 if only.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I don't need to post it to prove it.
I was too busy watching the game with my son and after looking at your post quoting the guy who wanted 3 Ross County goals i followed St J match more closely and at one point St J had 21 shots to County 1 it was then i repeated my prediction to him that St J will score and we will lose a late goal after all it is the St Mirren way we all know and love.

It was the Jim Goodwin way.  A game we had to win , we start with 2 so called strikers :huh: and end the the game with none. 

16 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Is there anyone on here who believes we should have finished above St Johnstone on merit over the season so far?

Not me.. StJ out played us three times, we were awful twice in Perth and we won in Paisley in the last 10mins against 10 men.

I don’t think we were negative today but our inability to score goals is what cost us we are just not good enough at the top end of the pitch to be a top team and we also don’t score enough from midfield Mcgarth has obviously scored goals but 90% have been penalties.

Our goalkeeper and defence is what put us in a position to be top 6 and I think all bar Fraser are contracted for next season so we now need to start looking at the midfield and the strikers if we want to take that next step. 

2 hours ago, party politics said:

All depends on what you count as success or failure, if success is avoiding a relegation scrap we should just about manage that. Midfield and forward has had no continuity or style of play for the majority of the season. As someone else has pointed out we have actually only played well in a handful of games all season.

We have a manager who spends to much time worrying about the opposition rather than letting them worry about us. Our "success" this season has been built solely on our very reliable goalkeeper and the defence. We have turned JDH from a box to box midfielder into a very average holding midfielder and you could probably say the same about Ethan beside him. Durmus is asked one week to play as a wing back then the next a winger is it any wonder he looks lost at times. The least said about the right hand side of midfield the better, where Connolly and McAllister compete most weeks to see who can run about the most and contribute nothing to the team.

We have a multitude of forwards and for me, they all fall into the "mehh" category, oh for a Somner, McDougall, McAvennie... sorry showing my age.

Finally we have a manager that overthinks everything and seems scared to take risks and today was another perfect example of this.

To summarise I feel sorry for the guys at the back, but going forward that is not a top six team i'm afraid.

Best Post ave read in years,100% correct sir,also a have been saying for years we need a striker coach,as how the hell can Goodwin sharp McManus langfield Webster improve me as a striker,and going by Goodwin signings Erwin quauner junior he obviously doesn't no what a striker is either,he should man up and admit his blame for absolutely stinkin performance at hampden and tactically inept also and he goes again with a negative attitude, we are covering wallpaper over the holes if we got top 6th because they be thinking he a genius and he far from it,am sick of his anti football and am sick of his bullshit after match interviews, you blew it again Goodwin 

Edited by paul torfason
Error

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Can' argue with that.. For me Cammy was always a better option than Doyle Hayes who is overrated by many on here, Cammy is more of a goal threat for a start and goals win you games 

I think JDH has plenty of skill and potential, but our style of play has him playing far too deep. He needs to be pushed further forward.

1 hour ago, penileebud said:

Not me.. StJ out played us three times, we were awful twice in Perth and we won in Paisley in the last 10mins against 10 men.

I don’t think we were negative today but our inability to score goals is what cost us we are just not good enough at the top end of the pitch to be a top team and we also don’t score enough from midfield Mcgarth has obviously scored goals but 90% have been penalties.

Our goalkeeper and defence is what put us in a position to be top 6 and I think all bar Fraser are contracted for next season so we now need to start looking at the midfield and the strikers if we want to take that next step. 

Absolutely this. We weren’t negative today. Nothing even close to negative. Anyone who thinks we were is a f**king idiot.

What we were was completely and utterly f**king shite in the final third. 

Furthernore, that has been our problem all season. If we had been even 50% more efficient in that area we’d have comfortably been a top 6 team.

If Goodwin has failed at anything this season, it’s been been recruiting an even remotely decent striker. 

Gutted but not surprised. We don’t deserve it for falling to beat Hamilton in either of the last two games against them or any of the other winnable matches in February. That said if we finish 7th we’d have been happy with that at the start of the season and praised the boys and Goodwin for improving on last year. Let’s hope we can find a striker in the summer and we can look to next year with optimism. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:
1 hour ago, Smithers Jones said:
Noticed Jim telling the ref he cost us top 6  emoji849.png

Just watched the free kick on Sportscene imo 100% a free kick we can have no complaints.

Shaughnessy is a liability imo. He is rash and has cost us points this season. He was poor at the free kick given and poor at marking the ball into the box. As for strikers still cant understand signing Brophey. I would have signed Lafferty instead. 

3 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Shaughnessy is a liability imo. He is rash and has cost us points this season. He was poor at the free kick given and poor at marking the ball into the box. As for strikers still cant understand signing Brophey. I would have signed Lafferty instead. 

I agree on Shaughnessy. I think he’s a decent big defender but he also seems to be thick as mince. Brain farts have been plenty this season. The challenge today for the the free kick which lead to the goal was rash, but shortly before it he also conceded possession in their half with a completely idiotic and needless handball.

All that said, our failure has been about so much more than today or Shaughnessy. 

1 hour ago, Bgsaint said:

Gutted but not surprised. We don’t deserve it for falling to beat Hamilton in either of the last two games against them or any of the other winnable matches in February. That said if we finish 7th we’d have been happy with that at the start of the season and praised the boys and Goodwin for improving on last year. Let’s hope we can find a striker in the summer and we can look to next year with optimism. 

We will be lucky to finish 7th now. The late collapse against Celtic has come back to haunt us here. The big picture is we have improved and the defence are behind that. The forward play is utterly abysmal and we don’t score anywhere near enough goals. I’m also not a fan of the constant tinkering and I’m sick of Jim being overly cautious at times. Today 1 up and probably looking the better side yet we take off a striker and eventually we have nothing up front .

What a chance to make a wee bit of history with our best ever finish and to try and chase down Livingston. Europe for either them or st j possibly. Livingston top 6 back to back and st j now have ten top six finishes. We can only dream of that. Throw in county and thistle as top six clubs of the past And for us never to have made it really is a sickener. As for him today to blame the ref lacks class. We have had some v soft pens this year too and without McGrath’s goals we have scored 19 and even he has six pens in his tally.

it was lost today in the last minute but the inability to gather more points from all our home games has killed us. We beat Celtic and after that it all went a bit flat sadly  

Edited by norrie82

4 hours ago, southsidebud said:

Gutted. As soon as St Johnstone scored I was certain we were going to drop the points. Don't think we can finish bottom but a convoluted set of results can leave us in the playoff spot...

We’ve done well at times and  deserve to be well clear of the bottom but I am not convinced we will be 7th at the end . I think we might scrape 8th but if not it’ll not be the dramatic improvement we thought it could be . Losing that late goal cost 200k and the opportunity to sign up some of our better players in new deals 

49 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I agree on Shaughnessy. I think he’s a decent big defender but he also seems to be thick as mince. Brain farts have been plenty this season. The challenge today for the the free kick which lead to the goal was rash, but shortly before it he also conceded possession in their half with a completely idiotic and needless handball.

All that said, our failure has been about so much more than today or Shaughnessy. 

The biggest failure of today was the inability to close the game. Not only in the goal sense but running time down by whatever means more so in a game like today's. Whether it's knocking it out of play mid opposition half, taking time for either player or keeper to retrieve ball, drawing cheap fouls or even faking injury. I guess it's  not how JG would approach things but when needs must.