Where Did It All Go Wrong - Top 6 target

At this specific time (Saturday evening) I think we require 44 points to be absolutely sure of not finishing in eleventh place. However, the scenario required for that to happen is highly unlikely, and the points we require for safety are likely to reduce as the final five matchdays are played out.

I can be as critical as anyone but all things considered we have been very unlucky to lose 6th place on goal diff this season we have beaten every top side bar Hibs no mean feat it was a big ask to play all those games in February with a small squad so in all on reflection I have been pleased with our progress albeit I am gutted today.The fake Saints have pipped us to 6th and without us beating Sevco I doubt they would have won the League Cup.

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

I can be as critical as anyone but all things considered we have been very unlucky to lose 6th place on goal diff this season we have beaten every top side bar Hibs no mean feat it was a big ask to play all those games in February with a small squad so in all on reflection I have been pleased with our progress albeit I am gutted today.The fake Saints have pipped us to 6th and without us beating Sevco I doubt they would have won the League Cup.

I would say the opposite and say we were a lucky team to be in with a chance of a top 6 place, if it wasn't for Jak Alnwick and a number of dodgy penalties we'd be hovering nearer the bottom rather than the top 6

How many good performances have we watched this season a handful at most,  we have been dreadful at times to watch, we chop and change the formation every game,  we have players playing most weeks who offer nothing in every game,

Our biggest victory of the season against United Ryan Flynn makes his comeback and is outstanding, his post match interview he said he's fit and waiting for his chance, then he virtually sits out the rest of the season on the bench. another strange decision from Jim..  

Unlucky you said ?  the game today tells you lots of things, a game we had to go out and win, we didn't, we finished a game we had to win with no strikers on the park,,  We came up short again just like the semi final what the game told us today was luck had nothing to do with it 

I would say the opposite and say we were a lucky team to be in with a chance of a top 6 place, if it wasn't for Jak Alnwick and a number of dodgy penalties we'd be hovering nearer the bottom rather than the top 6
How many good performances have we watched this season a handful at most,  we have been dreadful at times to watch, we chop and change the formation every game,  we have players playing most weeks who offer nothing in every game,
Our biggest victory of the season against United Ryan Flynn makes his comeback and is outstanding, his post match interview he said he's fit and waiting for his chance, then he virtually sits out the rest of the season on the bench. another strange decision from Jim..  
Unlucky you said ?  the game today tells you lots of things, a game we had to go out and win, we didn't, we finished a game we had to win with no strikers on the park,,  We came up short again just like the semi final what the game told us today was luck had nothing to do with it 

Again you are pretty spot on with your assessment the season that has quite alot of Saints fans hailing as Great, Incredible, Amazing(3 i've read today)would be described as Average by around another 4 top flight clubs but especially St J,M/Well & Killie.

Imo our top 6 challenge has as much to do with Killie and Motherwell having a below average season than it is to do with our "Great Season".

One thing we don’t want to do is sack the manager that  guy outwitted Rangers this who are a great season he also went to parkhead hey we will do better next season we as have had a ball hey we came 7th keep that man on he’s a saints legend and he beat Celtic and that was as well if there’s anyone on the board of directors keep it Jim Goodwin at all costs 

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, so close yet so far.

Here are all our league results this season............................key games/reasons? 

St Mirren 1-0 Livingston

Rangers 3-0 St Mirren

Hamilton 0-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 1-1 Ross County

St Johnstone 1-0 St Mirren

St Mirren 0-3 Hibs

St Mirren 1-2 Celtic

Dundee Utd 2-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 0-1 Kilmarnock

Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 0-0 Dundee Utd

Livingston 0-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 1-1 Aberdeen

Motherwell 0-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 3-2 St Johnstone

Hibs 1-0 St Mirren

Ross County 0-2 St Mirren

St Mirren 0-2 Rangers

Kilmarnock 1-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 1-1 Motherwell

Dundee Utd 1-5 St Mirren

Celtic 1-2 St Mirren

St Mirren 1-2 Hibs

St Mirren 2-0 Kilmarnock

St Mirren 0-4 Celtic

Aberdeen 0-0 St Mirren

St Mirren 1-1 Hamilton

St Mirren 1-1 Livingston

St Mirren 0-0 Motherwell

St Mirren 1-0 Ross County

Rangers 3-0 St Mirren

Hamilton 1-1 St Mirren

Our record against the other top 6 teams................

P18 W4 D2 L12

Nothing unusual TBH, 14 points is probably reasonable for a bottom 6 team.

Jim said in the post match interview the pre season goal was 41 points, so where it went wrong was not either holding out for the draw, or better still... getting in about Hamilton and winning convincingly yesterday. 

That last minute goal was gut wrenching, ruined my Saturday evening and honestly don’t think I’ve felt that way since the the cup final 2010. 

next morning, the sun is out and thinking about the season I’m seeing the positives. 

A couple of wins and we can finish 7th. 
We are capable of a SC Run

We beat both the old firm this season, the final minute victory over rangers was spectacular, and still the only team in Scotland to do so .. ‘so far’

Defensively we are better than we ever have been in the prem.

We have a club legend at the helm who is still learning, this is only his first completed season as a manager, and he’ll learn from the mistakes EKA yesterday & Livi - remember he was a ‘tactical’ genius with the victory over Celtic. 

With a couple of decent midfielders & a striker brought in -  in the summer, we are in good shape for next season, I don’t think we’ll have a massive turnover in players. 

The boy Reid has signed for 2 years

Today, we can sit back and laugh at the chaos likely to ensue around 13.45 😂

COYS 🐼🐼🐼🐼

Our record against the other top 6 teams................
P18 W4 D2 L12
Nothing unusual TBH, 14 points is probably reasonable for a bottom 6 team.

There are six games, in two blocks of three, where we surrendered our top six spot. Ours. It was ours to give away, which we did.

Kilmarnock 1-1 St Mirren
St Mirren 1-1 Motherwell

Then the three February home draws.
St Mirren 1-1 Hamilton
St Mirren 1-1 Livingston
St Mirren 0-0 Motherwell

All six games were winnable.

A win in any of the six games and top six was ours.

Dreadful defending 2 minutes from achieving a top six spot was just the most obvious of a series of failures.

Still a decent season and a vast improvement on what we have endured in recent seasons, but it could have been a great season.

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

There are six games, in two blocks of three, where we surrendered our top six spot. Ours. It was ours to give away, which we did.

Kilmarnock 1-1 St Mirren
St Mirren 1-1 Motherwell

Then the three February home draws.

Dreadful defending 2 minutes from achieving a top six spot was just the most obvious of a series of failures.

Still a decent season and a vast improvement on what we have endured in recent seasons, but it could have been a great season.

Very fine margins, Dundee Utd will also look back at certain games and regret how they turned out.

1 point separated three teams, there's lots of "reasons" that all 3 teams can point towards, that's the truth in a league.

I agree, and it shouldn't be forgotten, we've had a good season so far, what we don't need is to continue our disappointing form and slip further down the league.

Costly and poor for the club and support. 

As Jim has been saying all season we are good until the final third where we don't take our chances. This is the most attacking team we have had in years creating numerous chances yet rarely even getting a shot on target.
Was it the Utd home game where we dominated and had nearly 30 attempts on goal but only a couple on target? If Dennis had been fit all season I could have seen us easily being in the top 6.

Just watched post match interview and I don't believe for one minute that the camera Goodwin is what the players will get. I do also think he subbed to see the game out yesterday and I'm sure if Goodwin had still been a player then all sorts of time wasting tactics would have been used. I think he has learned a lot about supposedly influential players in team the hard way.

In say all that I think a bit less opinionated on other team's situations next season please. Like going on about players going over easy etc then having one of your own accused which I believe now has caused a rift and not injury for not playing.

Kills me to even say this but come on Jim be more like Gerrard and not give a shit about any other club except your own.

Morning after and looking back on the season there's been more good memories (beating both cheeks) than bad but the bad ones (Livi s/f, yesterday's draw) have been gut-wrenching.

The Livi game I put mainly down to JG who left Livi in their comfort zone for too long but yesterday was just plain bad marking and the blame has got to be put on the players.

As for the rest of the season I expect us to finish 8th and would consider it a big disappointment if both Utd. & Well overtook us but the main games have got to be the two against Hamilton - especially the cup game, by hook or by crook we must win that one! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Your point about Flynn is valid, it’s baffling some of Goodwin decisions but this one the most, and yesterday he got a few minutes at the end. Flynn must wonder what he needs to do

Your point about Flynn is valid, it’s baffling some of Goodwin decisions but this one the most, and yesterday he got a few minutes at the end. Flynn must wonder what he needs to do
You be careful apparently questioning anything about Goodwin is out of bounds anywhere on Saints fans forums or social media.

Don't think anyone has a problem with folk questioning anything. Writing shite like you've done gets rightly ridiculed. [emoji1787]
I wasn't even talking about myself kept pretty quiet with my opinions on Goodwin recently but some of the flak dished out to people questioning him recently has been well out of order both in here and elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
8 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
Don't think anyone has a problem with folk questioning anything. Writing shite like you've done gets rightly ridiculed. emoji1787.png

I wasn't even talking about myself kept pretty quiet with my opinions on Goodwin recently but some of the flak dished out to people questioning him recently has been well out of order both in here and elsewhere.

If your talking about Facebook as an example of elsewhere.............................it's well documented that particular page makes this forum look like it's full of Masterminds..........................and it isn't. :lol:

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, so close yet so far.

Here are all our league results this season............................key games/reasons? 

St Mirren 1-0 Livingston

Rangers 3-0 St Mirren

Hamilton 0-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 1-1 Ross County

St Mirren 0-3 Hibs

St Mirren 1-2 Celtic

Dundee Utd 2-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 0-1 Kilmarnock

Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

St Mirren 0-0 Dundee Utd

Livingston 0-1 St Mirren