Where Did It All Go Wrong - Top 6 target

2 points from a possible 24? 
Still think JG failure to use the full squad(Flynn especially) in the 4 home games end of a long, busy run contributed alot but Dundee Utd were in Top 6 for most of winter months so they probably should feel more disappointed than us.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:
15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Still think JG failure to use the full squad(Flynn especially) in the 4 home games end of a long, busy run contributed alot but Dundee Utd were in Top 6 for most of winter months so they probably should feel more disappointed than us.

Aye, Dundee United, that game we won 5-1 was, by some way, the worst performance I'd seen in our league this season, not detracting that we punished them for it, but they were woeful that night.

As you say, after being in the top 6 for so long they must be more gutted than us. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:
3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Flynn should have been first name on team sheet yesterday, doyle-hayes playing further forward with McGrath, on wing i would have played Durmus and McAllister with Connolly upfront. Those two diddies we played are fecking useless...and played a back 4...

.Think Goodwin thinks he tactically superior to other managers playing stupid line-ups and formation. When all he is doing is making a complete cnut of it...needs to go back to basics, 4-4-2 and try win games. He tried to sit on lead yesterday and yet again made an arse of it.

More rights than wrongs this season, hence our current position, compared to the last couple of seasons at this point.

We simply weren't good enough over the course of the season completed so far.

We don't score enough and we are prone to costly lapses at the back. 

Key acquisitions will be a couple of strikers, better than we currently have, to compete with Dennis and Brophy.

Goodwin needs to stop chopping and changing the team formation.

Hopefully we get stuck in for the rest of the season and help to relegate Hamilton or Ross County.

A decent cup run would be good too.

Flynn should have been first name on team sheet yesterday, doyle-hayes playing further forward with McGrath, on wing i would have played Durmus and McAllister with Connolly upfront. Those two diddies we played are fecking useless...and played a back 4...

I'm guessing the back 4 would be Tait, Fraser, McCarthy and Shaughnessy.

Who else would you have played yesterday and where?

More rights than wrongs this season, hence our current position, compared to the last couple of seasons at this point.
We simply weren't good enough over the course of the season completed so far.
We don't score enough and we are prone to costly lapses at the back. 
Key acquisitions will be a couple of strikers, better than we currently have, to compete with Dennis and Brophy.
Goodwin needs to stop chopping and changing the team formation.
Hopefully we get stuck in for the rest of the season and help to relegate Hamilton or Ross County.
A decent cup run would be good too.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Would think Ross County or Hamilton will go down now Killie have their first victory under Wright.

I see alot of optimistic posts regarding "pushing on to Top 6 next season" we were bottom of league for quite a few weeks and resisted temptation to punt JG, Motherwell, Livingston, Kilmarnock all spent less time at bottom and changed managers they will all be looking to "push on under new managers next season".

Add in St Johnstone who had 1 poor season in around 10 and changed manager their new manager has won a cup and gained Top 6 first season they will expect to "push on" too.

Also Hearts back in Top league will expect to get Top 6 too i would imagine.

I fear a relegation dogfight with the survivor of this seasons relegation dogfight awaits us next season.

10 minutes ago, David Mc said:

We also severely lack leadership and dig in the middle of the park.  A player like  Jim Goodwin at his peak would have made a huge difference IMO.

Indeed. I was going to add that we need to sign a midfield enforcer who boots people about the park.

We never did sign a player in the mould of Gogic, who were after.

I know we signed Sheron, but he was shite.

The usual a manager who never knows the right team to pick, or the right subs to make. Constant changing the lineup, forwards not knowing their way to goal and he signed them all. Wingers never given more than 1 or 2 games when anyone who knows anything about the game knows they all have good and bad games. More bad games when your constantly in and out of the team. Poor player poor manager.

5 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I'm guessing the back 4 would be Tait, Fraser, McCarthy and Shaughnessy.

Who else would you have played yesterday and where?

Maybe a goalie!

Maybe a goalie!
.Think Goodwin thinks he tactically superior to other managers playing stupid line-ups and formation. When all he is doing is making a complete cnut of it...needs to go back to basics, 4-4-2 and try win games. He tried to sit on lead yesterday and yet again made an arse of it.
So you chastise JG for not playing a 4-4-2 then you pick a team with only 1 up front. [emoji1787]

10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

So you chastise JG for not playing a 4-4-2 then you pick a team with only 1 up front. emoji1787.png

Sat i could not see 2 strikers to play...there were none in the squad. 2 guys in squad who play in striker position but ain't strikers...do u ever add anything apart from shite unfunny one liners pointless one?

I think now the dust has settled after what was a horrible situation on saturday it's time to get behind the team again. I know I'm not going to rant about Saturday again and I know I've had plenty on here.

I'm sure the players were left in no doubt what it meant after being told by JG to go, stay away from each other and come back in on Tuesday. Probably left with a lot to think about and what's required for rest of season.

COYS!!!!!

Isnt 40 points after 33 games our highest ever point total at this stage in new League format ? ,

Its progress

Maybe it will spur us on to Scottish Cup glory

It has been a good season, however twice it could have been a great season and we bottled it.... still raw but I still think Goody has overall done really well for us,  HOWEVER we are still naïve at the back

Cant see Well and Killie ( if they stay up) being as bad next season and we will have Hearts back so we need to improve again, hopefully Dennis and Brophy can sort out the goals for column

It's was going wrong in almost every game this season you could count on the one hand how many times we actually played well for the ninety minutes most times a good first half and then utter dross second half defending in our own box untill the inevitable happened we need to get that sorted toot sweet or it's going to be same shit different season.

5 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's was going wrong in almost every game this season you could count on the one hand how many times we actually played well for the ninety minutes most times a good first half and then utter dross second half defending in our own box untill the inevitable happened we need to get that sorted toot sweet or it's going to be same shit different season.

Or maybe even tout suite (or tout de suite).  Unless you actually want it sorted by an effeminate homosexual (a toot sweet - slang).

We're really up against two clashing clichés on this issue

•  Over the 33 games whilst not always playing well or grinding out results (the last minute loser at Pittodrie back in October springs to mind) we did well enough to get to last Saturday with the situation in our hands.
  • To counter all this it often comes down to which team handles the pressure situations better and twice this season we've come up short, against Livi in the Cup where JG left them in their comfort zone too long and on Saturday where I wouldn't blame JG for the players ballsing up the marking at the crucial free kick.

I've not read the full way through this thread, though in short for me, what has cost us, is:

1. failing to take advantage of all of those home games in February, including the 2 games in-hand over everyone else around us. Top 6 should have been wrapped up by end of February.
  2. Secondly, tactically at times, the manager has got it wrong and has never really shouldered the blame for that. The Accies game at the weekend i felt Goody tried to deflect the blame on the referee when he should have admittedly held his hands up that his decisions in the second half cost us three points and not the referee
  3. Lack of strikers been made available the last couple of months due to injury.
Edited by kevo_smfc

On 3/20/2021 at 8:41 PM, pondsman said:

At this specific time (Saturday evening) I think we require 44 points to be absolutely sure of not finishing in eleventh place. However, the scenario required for that to happen is highly unlikely, and the points we require for safety are likely to reduce as the final five matchdays are played out.

We can only be in a playoff spot with 40 points.

Consider one of the scenarios below where lose all 5 games.

Killie draw with Ross County and both win their remaining games.

Ross county finish with 42 points and Killie finish with 41 points.

Hamilton can only achieve 36 points.

Motherwell could get 41 points by beating us and Dundee U,  and Dundee Utd could get 42 by beating us.

We would be in the playoffs with 40 points.

1361220556_leaguetable.png.264e78d99ae28735994872e71c605092.png

I think I updated this correctly. The above projection assumes there are no draws. Highly unlikely so I believe we're as safe as we can be under the circumstances. In fact I think a draw for us against anyone apart from Hamilton would guarantee our safety.

43 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

1361220556_leaguetable.png.264e78d99ae28735994872e71c605092.png

I think I updated this correctly. The above projection assumes there are no draws. Highly unlikely so I believe we're as safe as we can be under the circumstances. In fact I think a draw for us against anyone apart from Hamilton would guarantee our safety.

An excellent way to visualise a scenario, but a draw against Hamilton even if they win their other 4 games, would give us 41 points and they would have 40. 

Edited by E=Mc2
Spelling