Scams - E-mail, text, calls

faraway saint

There's been, unsurprisingly, a dramatic rise in attempts to scam the public over the last year.

I've had the rather aggressive HMRC "call" threatening bailiffs unless I pay an outstanding bill, press 1 to blah blah blah.

As this bit is automated I just hang up but I've been tempted to press 1 to see if I get to speak to a "hooman", only my worry this could incur a charge stops me.

I've also had the Royal mail text.......................my Package has been held and will not be delivered due to a £1.99 unpaid shipping fee. Vist........................Some dodgy link.

I despair. 

30 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

There's been, unsurprisingly, a dramatic rise in attempts to scam the public over the last year.

I've had the rather aggressive HMRC "call" threatening bailiffs unless I pay an outstanding bill, press 1 to blah blah blah.

As this bit is automated I just hang up but I've been tempted to press 1 to see if I get to speak to a "hooman", only my worry this could incur a charge stops me.

I've also had the Royal mail text.......................my Package has been held and will not be delivered due to a £1.99 unpaid shipping fee. Vist........................Some dodgy link.

I despair. 

I got 2 by the Royal Mail as well wanting £2,99. 

Deleted and number block right away. 

BBC got a story about an ex cop getting stung for 3K by the Post Office scam.

8 minutes ago, HSS said:

The Royal Mail scam cost some poor,unsuspecting,wumin 10k last week.They got off with her dunnie money and even maxed her overdraft.

Another to watch out for is Amazon Prime.

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I got 2 by the Royal Mail as well wanting £2,99. 

Deleted and number block right away. 

BBC got a story about an ex cop getting stung for 3K by the Post Office scam.

How does the Post Office scam, starting out at £1.99 or £2.99 get to thousands?

It seems a big jump and alarm bells should be ringing early on? 

I heard a story, can't confirm, that if you press 1 on the HMRC you get to a person with no charge at that stage, If this is the case I'm having some of that the next time. 

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I heard a story, can't confirm, that if you press 1 on the HMRC you get to a person with no charge at that stage, If this is the case I'm having some of that the next time. 

The girl from Birmingham is the story I heard on the radio last week

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/warning-royal-mail-text-scam-5251341.amp

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I pressed it FS and got a guy telling me that I had been investigated for fraud and that I owed thousands in Tax and had been taken to court and my case was imminent. I explained to him I didn't think this was correct he asked if I had a lawyer as they were prepared to represent me if I didn't. I further explained that I work in and around Tax Legislation and Employment Law and that my Accountant was also my Agent for my finances and that I would have expected to hear about this investigation from him before it got to court....he sighed and hung up!! I've had the same message from a few different numbers now about the same thing but have checked with both my Accountant and HMRC and apparently I'm in the clear....phew!!

37 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I pressed it FS and got a guy telling me that I had been investigated for fraud and that I owed thousands in Tax and had been taken to court and my case was imminent. I explained to him I didn't think this was correct he asked if I had a lawyer as they were prepared to represent me if I didn't. I further explained that I work in and around Tax Legislation and Employment Law and that my Accountant was also my Agent for my finances and that I would have expected to hear about this investigation from him before it got to court....he sighed and hung up!! I've had the same message from a few different numbers now about the same thing but have checked with both my Accountant and HMRC and apparently I'm in the clear....phew!!

Great, I can't wait for the next call..........................the poor muppet will be taken for a ride. :wink:

Wait a minute, it's not you at the other end is it? :P

Edited by faraway saint

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Great, I can't wait for the next call..........................the poor muppet will be taken for a ride. :wink:

Wait a minute, it's not you at the other end is it? :P

That's a different scam 😇

I have quite a bit of contact centre experience and if you get a nuisance call from a human ask to speak to their supervisor they soon hang up, of course you could hang up yourself but I prefer them to give up before I do, and it was a Gov't helpline I worked for before anyone questions my morality on the subject.

4 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I have quite a bit of contact centre experience and if you get a nuisance call from a human ask to speak to their supervisor they soon hang up, of course you could hang up yourself but I prefer them to give up before I do, and it was a Gov't helpline I worked for before anyone questions my morality on the subject.

^^^^^^^^ Scammer. :P

I work within the Credit Card industry and deal with customers, some of the scams are just unreal. Had a customer who has paid thousands to a crypto currency agent. Hermes, Royal Mail, umpteen dispatch company's.

Even had a customer insinuating that I was part of the scam and how did she know that she was speaking with the bank. I had to tell her she'd called us, lol

A big one just now is an automated voice stating their has been an overseas transaction of between £300 - £600 and press 1 to speak with someone

6 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

I work within the Credit Card industry and deal with customers, some of the scams are just unreal. Had a customer who has paid thousands to a crypto currency agent. Hermes, Royal Mail, umpteen dispatch company's.

Even had a customer insinuating that I was part of the scam and how did she know that she was speaking with the bank. I had to tell her she'd called us, lol

A big one just now is an automated voice stating their has been an overseas transaction of between £300 - £600 and press 1 to speak with someone

I'm all over this "press 1", just to practice my Oscar winning performance as a scared rich man...........................for as long as I can to waste their time or I run out of patience and tell them to feck right off. :thumbs2

10 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

As a former Postman I can confirm that the ONLY way that Royal Mail will contact you regarding an undelivered item of mail is by the "red card" that they will put through your letterbox.

No text, no email, NOTHING else.

Did you get the sack? 

7 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

As a former Postman I can confirm that the ONLY way that Royal Mail will contact you regarding an undelivered item of mail is by the "red card" that they will put through your letterbox.

No text, no email, NOTHING else.

Thankfully most people will know that but these scammers work on a numbers game, they "know" they will get a percentage of gullible people who will go for it.

They send out thousands a day, it only takes one to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for the clarity Pat. 

th?id=OIP.3yOv10KpuOUoIp8zuh9pZgHaFa&pid=Api&P=0&w=219&h=161

Further, if you genuinely do have an item of mail addressed to you, which is underpaid your Postman will put a silver coloured card through your door stating the amount of underpaid postage plus the handling charge. It's 13 years ago since I plodded around my beat and back then the customer had to go to the delivery office with the card and payment but I suspect these days it can be paid for online.

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I despair. 

If only there was such an animal as an electronic Exocet!

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm all over this "press 1", just to practice my Oscar winning performance as a scared rich man...........................for as long as I can to waste their time or I run out of patience and tell them to feck right off. :thumbs2

Whenever one gets through to me I tell them my wallet is in the west wing and I will go and get it.... I then leave them on the phone for a good 20 minutes 😂 

I also used to send back empty 2nd class envelopes that come with junk mail to the credit card company’s as they pay for the post 😂 

pretty petty but you feel like your winning 👍🏻

There was a new angle today on my wife's phone, some nice man was asking if she would like some help with her debt.

She' didn't play along too much............................."We don't have any debt, get your facts right if you're trying to scam someone".........................:byebye

I would like to meet these people, love to have a chat with hem about what they do for a living. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I'm currently toying with another Muppet who has promised me a fantastic deal....................although their does seem to be a request coming for some cash from me. :lol:

Quite a few flaws in their story, one being it's just past 3:00am in the USA where this magnificent company/offer is based. :hammer

BENEFITS AS A CONTRACTOR: (1) Monthly Flight allowance from your 
current location to manufacturer's factory for goods inspection will 
be paid by Devon Energy
Corporation(USA).

(2) You will be paid a Contractor establishment fee of $350,000.00 
(Three Hundred and Fifty thousand United States Dollars) for the four 
years contract. The establishment fee of $350,000.00 is geared towards 
facilitating you to establish an office in any country of your choice 
or your home country. Note that our Company will pay you this fee 
immediately they received your product sample.

(3) You will earn $5.00 on each liter as your working commission

(4) You will be earning $50,000 as monthly salary (Note that our 
company will increase your salary by 5% yearly)

(5) You are also entitled to Accommodation Allowance in any country of 
your choice or your home country.

(6) An Official Car from Devon Energy Corporation(USA) (Newest 2019 
Toyota Land Cruiser) will be given to you for your official use.

Edited by faraway saint

I'm currently toying with another Muppet who has promised me a fantastic deal....................although their does seem to be a request coming for some cash from me. [emoji38]
Quite a few flaws in their story, one being it's just past 3:00am in the USA where this magnificent company/offer is based. :hammer
be paid by Devon Energy
Corporation(USA).

Send it on to me if you don't want it, looks like a fabulous deal - almost too good to be true.

Hang on...

[emoji846]

I'm currently toying with another Muppet who has promised me a fantastic deal....................although their does seem to be a request coming for some cash from me. [emoji38]
be paid by Devon Energy
Corporation(USA).

They spoiled it at the end by offering you a 2 yr old car. Tell them they will have to give you a 2021 Tesla and double the monthly salary - because you can't afford to take a pay cut.

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:
27 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
I'm currently toying with another Muppet who has promised me a fantastic deal....................although their does seem to be a request coming for some cash from me. emoji38.png
be paid by Devon Energy
Corporation(USA).

They spoiled it at the end by offering you a 2 yr old car. Tell them they will have to give you a 2021 Tesla and double the monthly salary - because you can't afford to take a pay cut.

Ok. :thumbs2

8 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Send it on to me if you don't want it, looks like a fabulous deal - almost too good to be true.

Hang on...

emoji846.png

If you go haufers on the investment I'll ask them to contact you.

Here's MY bank details.....................I'll confirm the amount they are asking for as soon as they contact me. 

S/C 00 00 00

Acc No 987654321