The Troubles

ICC

2 hours ago, ICC said:

He or she knew what they were doing , I am guessing.

I'd disagree it's only a few years since the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland said she didn't realize that Nationalists wouldn't vote for Unionist parties and vice versa. Outside NI and the wannabee element over here in Scotland I'd say the connection would be overlooked.

Did a quick check and Metro has no NI edition...

On 4/9/2021 at 12:01 PM, Bud the Baker said:

I'd disagree it's only a few years since the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland said she didn't realize that Nationalists wouldn't vote for Unionist parties and vice versa. Outside NI and the wannabee element over here in Scotland I'd say the connection would be overlooked.

Did a quick check and Metro has no NI edition...

Say's it all really.. they haven't a clue or don't really give a F

4 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

They did a survey recently and 65 % of English couldn't point to Belfast on a map of the UK,

Saying that 50% of Belfast couldn't point to Londonderry on the same map

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

One of BJs lies "there will be no border Czechs" coming home to roost, it's a dangerous game Johnson is playing allowing the DUP leadership to talk up the idea that they can bump the EU into conceding the Irish Sea Trade Border encouraged by the gammon sector of our press, in the end the US will never allow it especially not with a President who likes to play up his Irish roots.

As ever it's the people at ground level, the police & the young Protestant protestors (sic) incited into rioting who get hurt most. Most likely BJ thinks it's a quarrel in a far away country of which we know nothing and care even less - and who knows he might even be right!

• 2 weeks later...

I see the DUP are in need of a new leader after Arlene Foster's resignation (effective May 28th). Looking up to the top of the page it comes at a bad time but is there ever a good time for something like this to happen - strangely in these metrosexual days it seems to be the rumours of an extra-marital affair that tipped the balance - not the "Cash for Ash" that led to Stormont being suspended or the £1Billion bribe to back Theresa May's Brexit after the 2017 GE.

Shafted by Johnson who chose to go with the polls that said Brexit supporters in England would be happy to see NI (& Scotland) leave the Union to secure the deal, it's leaves a beleaguered Unionist community as we approach the marching season.

Well it looks like the race to replace AF is going to come down to two contenders - Edwin Poots and Sir  Jeffrey Donaldson.

Poots who appears to be the front runner is a creationist who believes the earth is only 6,000 years old and within the past decade banned gay men from giving blood and adopting children.

Donaldson sits as an MP at Westminster rather than an MLA at Stormont and comes from a similar sort of background to AF - both of them defected from the more moderate UUP in 2004 after becoming dissatisfied with the Good Friday Agreement.

Troubled times for Unionists who have to face the demographic balance within NI tilting towards the Nationalists - will they circle the wagons or look to build bridges with the Nationalist community?

Going to editorialise now and say Donaldson seems a far more preferable option to me.

Edited by Bud the Baker

• 3 months later...