Prince Philip has gone

faraway saint

30 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

A huge sigh of relief was heard from the grouse, deer and tigers.

President of the World Wildlife Fund? 

Also, ahead of his time in recognising climate change, setting up the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme that's done so much for thousands of young people.

Aye, he wasn't anywhere near perfect but some of the stuff in this thread, again, unsurprising, but very one sided, as usual. :thumbsdown

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Also, ahead of his time in recognising climate change, setting up the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme that's done so much for thousands of young people.

Aye, he wasn't anywhere near perfect but some of the stuff in this thread, again, unsurprising, but very one sided, as usual. :thumbsdown

A totally astounding appointment, given how many animals he killed for "fun". He might have been forced to give up killing animals, but he didn't ever denounce the idea of hunting animals/blood sports.

He has never really escaped the furore that erupted over his shooting of a tiger in India during a break from a royal tour with the Queen in 1961 while he was a guest of the Maharajah of Jaipur.

The Queen rode nearby on the back of an elephant, with a bearer shading her from the sun with a parasol. It was the kind of lavish excursion members of the House of Windsor had been enjoying in the Raj for decades.

At sunrise the following day a hunt was organised for the Queen to shoot a female tiger. But according to the former game ranger who had led the royal party, she decided at the last minute that a monarch should not make the kill and handed her gun to one of her staff to deliver the fatal shot.

The Maharajah meanwhile had the Prince’s trophy tiger skinned and stuffed and shipped to Windsor Castle.

On that trip, Philip also killed a crocodile and six urials, a type of mountain sheep. His actions prompted widespread condemnation from both Indian and British politicians, even though big game shooting was not against the law at the time.

What has often been overlooked is that on the same trip, the then Foreign Secretary Alec Douglas-Home, who was accompanying the royal couple, shot and killed a rare female white rhino. 

Two hundred beaters ‘worked’ a pair of tigers into a clearing near the Duke’s ‘machan’, a raised wooden tower, whereupon he shot a ‘good-sized’ 8ft 9in beast with one shot to the head. The tiger’s body was hauled back to the Maharajah’s palace by truck and two hours later it was photographed surrounded by dignitaries, including a proud Philip and the Queen.

The same year, the Duke also killed a 15ft-long crocodile with single shot, while dressed in a lounge suit, from the bow of a steamer on the Gambia River.

He introduced Prince Charles to shooting when he was 12, and on one occasion father and son are said to have killed 50 wild boar in a single day while visiting the estates of Philip’s German relatives.

One bag in 1967, also in Germany, yielded 27 hares and four foxes, although this pales beside the 1,400 duck and 400 pheasant Philip and his guns chalked up in a day on the estate of a royal kinsman in Italy.

He eventually bowed to pressure and gave up big-game hunting, but he has continued to defend bloodsports, claiming he was culling, not killing.

Prince Phillip can certainly be credited with getting the award scheme up and running. He developed an idea that his former HT in Gordonstoun had formulated and worked with the then UK government. The actual administration of the project and the bringing together of all the required parties was carried out by Sir John Hunt, of Mount Everest climbing fame.

I do think, in its hey day, that it was an excellent scheme for young people to develop "non-academic" skills, and that it's certainly something that he should be remembered for in a positive light IMO.

35 minutes ago, FTOF said:

A totally astounding appointment, given how many animals he killed for "fun". He might have been forced to give up killing animals, but he didn't ever denounce the idea of hunting animals/blood sports.

Prince Phillip can certainly be credited with getting the award scheme up and running. He developed an idea that his former HT in Gordonstoun had formulated and worked with the then UK government. The actual administration of the project and the bringing together of all the required parties was carried out by Sir John Hunt, of Mount Everest climbing fame.

I do think, in its hey day, that it was an excellent scheme for young people to develop "non-academic" skills, and that it's certainly something that he should be remembered for in a positive light IMO.

That was in a time when, like various things that are now obscene, it was fairly common for people with money.

It still goes on, the fairly recent pictures of various rich people have, quite rightly, raised this sort of needless slaughter to the forefront of peoples thoughts again. 

No one, certainly not me, can condone what happened then but, as the legend that is Attenborough confirmed, he has done considerable good for a very long time. 

As for duck and pheasants, I'm not overly sad for that as it's well known that they estates also provide suitable conditions for these "birds" to live and thrive, and they certainly aren't in the same boas as animals that are close to extinction. 

The award scheme, like so many successful schemes, requires a figurehead that can, and he did, give considerable time and effort.

A mate of mines messaged me tonight saying getting his award personally from him was one of the highlights of his life. 

Thanks for giving a reasonably balanced post, you're not a bad lad. :wink:

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Well you’ve provided your version of balance so what is your problem?

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

A mate of mines messaged me tonight saying getting his award personally from him was one of the highlights of his life. 

So he's a mate of yours and one of the highlights of his life was meeting an old racist who is also the dad of a paedophile?

My thoughts are with him, what a shite existence that must be.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

So he's a mate of yours and one of the highlights of his life was meeting an old racist who is also the dad of a paedophile?

My thoughts are with him, what a shite existence that must be.

I looked for this post but it seems to have been deleted 

maybe he just imagined he had a mate and further imagined said figment had met Phil

Bless!

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

That was in a time when, like various things that are now obscene, it was fairly common for people with money.

It still goes on, the fairly recent pictures of various rich people have, quite rightly, raised this sort of needless slaughter to the forefront of peoples thoughts again. 

No one, certainly not me, can condone what happened then but, as the legend that is Attenborough confirmed, he has done considerable good for a very long time. 

As for duck and pheasants, I'm not overly sad for that as it's well known that they estates also provide suitable conditions for these "birds" to live and thrive, and they certainly aren't in the same boas as animals that are close to extinction. 

The award scheme, like so many successful schemes, requires a figurehead that can, and he did, give considerable time and effort.

Thanks for giving a reasonably balanced post, you're not a bad lad. :wink:

5 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I looked for this post but it seems to have been deleted 

maybe he just imagined he had a mate and further imagined said figment had met Phil

Bless!

Maybe you should lay off the cheap lager? 🤡

Making up imaginary friends is your forte, keep it up. :lol:

The Royal Family is not something that i agree with or don't agree with.

Just something that been there all my living days and i have no feeling about them either way.

What i can't get my head around is the BBC having all their channels showing basically the same stuff, why ?

Since nearly everybody had a TV, and will get BBC1, why not that 1 channel show what they want and let the other channels get on with showing their normal shit.

If this is what is happening with Philip, god knows what it will be like when the Queen goes to join him  🤔

Just something that been there all my living days and i have no feeling about them either way.
What i can't get my head around is the BBC having all their channels showing basically the same stuff, why ?
Since nearly everybody had a TV, and will get BBC1, why not that 1 channel show what they want and let the other channels get on with showing their normal shit.
If this is what is happening with Philip, god knows what it will be like when the Queen goes to join him  [emoji848]

Very good point - the whole schedule was up in the air last night. If Jane McDonald gets bumped tonight for this I will not be a happy man!!

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

If this is what is happening with Philip, god knows what it will be like when the Queen goes to join him  🤔

I have had a similar experience to you with the Royals, however even from a young age I would question how unfair it was that they lived a life of luxury for no other reason than a birth right. 
I don’t hate any of them as individuals but can’t quite square how in this day and age of diversity and supposed equality, that an institution such as the royals have not been examined in more detail. How can people seriously talk about equal pay for women and narrowing the gap between rich and poor when there is an unelected institution at the head of state. 
I am not advocating that we find a new Cromwell but the current form of the institution needs to change. 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

On 4/9/2021 at 12:17 PM, Sue Denim said:

The vaccine did wonders for Phillip I see 😂

17 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Well it is only licensed for humans 😂

11 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I have had a similar experience to you with the Royals, however even from a young age I would question how unfair it was that they lived a life of luxury for no other reason than a birth right. 
I don’t hate any of them as individuals but can’t quite square how in this day and age of diversity and supposed equality, that an institution such as the royals have not been examined in more detail. How can people seriously talk about equal pay for women and narrowing the gap between rich and poor when there is an unelected institution at the head of state. 
I am not advocating that we find a new Cromwell but the current form of the institution needs to change. 

Your post above would suggest there's a tad more to your feelings towards the Royal Family than you try to make out. 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Your post above would suggest there's a tad more to your feelings towards the Royal Family than you try to make out. 

Your taking it out of context, I was trying to illustrate the absurd claims that the Royals are really lizards.