WIFI to an Outdoor Building

faraway saint

We're looking at a summerhouse for the garden and a must is to have WIFI for various reasons.

Just read an article which gives a few reasonable, and inexpensive, solutions.

Has anybody had any experience of anything like this?

The new summerhouse will be approx. 10m from the house.

The walls of the house are stone and are about 12"-14" thick so out current router barely get's into the garden, never mind strong enough to service various electrical devices 10m away. 

8 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

I’m no expert on these things but are you able to run a cable from the house to the summerhouse? Alternatively I wonder if there is a method where the summerhouse can have its own unique WiFi - bound to be a way!!

One of the suggestions in the article I read had suggested hardwire from the router to an additional router in the summerhouse, it would need to be be run underground, which could work as there will need to be an electricity supply from the house.

7 minutes ago, Slash said:

Will the summer house be supplied with electricity from the main house? If so you may be able to use Powerline devices to extend range. 

Alternatively if you can it’s best to run a cable from your router direct to the summerhouse.

Aye, this Powerline idea was also suggested and is a pretty cheap option, £20-£50 is suggested. 

As I'll be using the Firestick to run the TV in the summerhouse I'll need a reasonable speed, we get over 50Mbps around the house, so I'd hope this would be replicated through the electricity supply/adaptors? 

If you can where possible hard wire using Cat5/6 cable. It’s worth spending the money to ensure you have a stable service. If you still have to install power to the summerhouse include it in that job if you possibly can.
I’ve used Powerline equipment for years before routers became more powerful. Don’t believe all the marketing about Powerline throughput claims. In reality they can be a lot less dependent on a number of factors.
Powerline does work well, but I’d always go hard wired where possible.

One wee observation and in fairness I don’t know if it would be an issue for your job is that in the game I’m in (Oil and Gas) they never run control and power cables on the same tray (don’t think they do it in trenches either but not sure), so if you are running a power and data cable in a wee trench - it may be prudent to insulate them.

1 hour ago, Slash said:

If you can where possible hard wire using Cat5/6 cable. It’s worth spending the money to ensure you have a stable service. If you still have to install power to the summerhouse include it in that job if you possibly can.

I’ve used Powerline equipment for years before routers became more powerful. Don’t believe all the marketing about Powerline throughput claims. In reality they can be a lot less dependent on a number of factors.

Powerline does work well, but I’d always go hard wired where possible.

Looking at routers and they seem to be somewhat more powerful than the existing router I have from Sky.

Would I be better utilising this for the house and use the Sky one for the summerhouse which, comparatively speaking isn't that large? 

I better check the spec on my Sky router before jumping to any conclusions. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

Just a wee correction to Slash's suggestion (and I'm sure it was just a typo) - use cat5e or cat6, not cat5. It might be impossible to actually get cat5 cable these days anyway, but just thought I would clarify his suggestion. Cat6 is definitely the best way to go, especially if you are getting someone else to install it.

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just had a quote for this summerhouse, the whole bifta, including this cable for the router, £10,000 ..............took me a wee bit by surprise......... Almost fell over but suppose it's a quality building. 

I'm away into a dark room for a while. 😂

I was going to post yesterday that my brother in law got a quote of £13k for a summer house Didn’t want to put you off tho

Is there nothing here that would work?(Other websites are available)................

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/sb0/summer-houses-log-cabins-c1862995.html?ptid=286606423590&refid=GX421856872223.~b&position=&network=g&pcrid=421856872223&device=m&targetid=dsa-19959388920&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1e7_kr6U8AIViLbtCh00PQkDEAAYAiAAEgJbkvD_BwE

26 minutes ago, HSS said:

I was going to post yesterday that my brother in law got a quote of £13k for a summer house Didn’t want to put you off tho

Is there nothing here that would work?(Other websites are available)................

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/sb0/summer-houses-log-cabins-c1862995.html?ptid=286606423590&refid=GX421856872223.~b&position=&network=g&pcrid=421856872223&device=m&targetid=dsa-19959388920&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1e7_kr6U8AIViLbtCh00PQkDEAAYAiAAEgJbkvD_BwE

It's very hard to compare as, like most things mate, you get what you pay for.

This quote we got included insulation, all finished inside, electrics, lighting, heating and a bar (not stocked, although I might try to negotiate that bit)

The other bonus is I'm only dealing with the one "guy/company" rather than buying a kit, getting a joiner to build it, electrician and kit it out etc.

I'm still in shock.................. I need a drink. 

Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, HSS said:

This is similar (from the link you posted) to what we're looking at.............this comes in at over £15k, and that's just a kit. 

Campden 13 x 11 Ft. Tounge & Groove Summer House

Edited by faraway saint

On 4/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, faraway saint said:

We're looking at a summerhouse for the garden and a must is to have WIFI for various reasons.

The walls of the house are stone and are about 12"-14" thick so out current router barely get's into the garden, never mind strong enough to service various electrical devices 10m away. 

Many years ago I knew someone who had a slight speech impediment, he was also a bit an arse.  You know the type, had to have the biggest motor, talked about it all the time, likes to tell you what his house was worth etc etc.

Anyway he had a big shed built in his back door and unlike any normal person he called it his shummerhouse (summerhouse).

One warm summer Monday morning we had the age old conversation, started by "what did you get upto at the weekend?".  

I probably answered something like "watched St Murn get beat, couple of pints, ordered a chinese meal".

Arse boy proclaimed "me and the wife had a shit in the shummerhouse".  

Made me laugh, still makes me laugh, made me laugh and still makes me laugh indeed.

15 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Many years ago I knew someone who had a slight speech impediment, he was also a bit an arse.  You know the type, had to have the biggest motor, talked about it all the time, likes to tell you what his house was worth etc etc.

Anyway he had a big shed built in his back door and unlike any normal person he called it his shummerhouse (summerhouse).

One warm summer Monday morning we had the age old conversation, started by "what did you get upto at the weekend?".  

I probably answered something like "watched St Murn get beat, couple of pints, ordered a chinese meal".

Arse boy proclaimed "me and the wife had a shit in the shummerhouse".  

Made me laugh, still makes me laugh, made me laugh and still makes me laugh indeed.

It was Ricky wasn't it? :wink:

Faraway Saint,

Have a look on the facebook group HomeBarsUK.

I'm nearing the end of building a 7m x 4.2m hut at the bottom of my garden & found Homebarsuk is a great place for ideas & advice

Just had the builder round to finalise details.

All the questions I/we had were answered, all the little things we were unsure if they were included were, and we're quite happy dealing with the one guy who will deal will the other people involved.

Should start around 3 weeks from now and take about 4-5 weeks, weather dependant, to complete. 

Quite happy, just about got my head around the cost.

Next, shopping for the essential bits required to make it comfy. 

@Kombibuddie, have asked to join the Home Bars group, I'm looking forward to having a look, thanks again. 👍

Edited by faraway saint