WIFI to an Outdoor Building

faraway saint

On 4/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, faraway saint said:

We're looking at a summerhouse for the garden and a must is to have WIFI for various reasons.

Just read an article which gives a few reasonable, and inexpensive, solutions.

Has anybody had any experience of anything like this?

The new summerhouse will be approx. 10m from the house.

The walls of the house are stone and are about 12"-14" thick so out current router barely get's into the garden, never mind strong enough to service various electrical devices 10m away. 

The SNP government will soon provide free internet access to your second property.  They also currently provide funding for insulation of old and inefficient stone dwellings

56 minutes ago, Slash said:

I don’t think you can claim a summer house/man cave as a second property. He’s hardly likely to want to pay additional council tax for a glorified shed that he watches fitba and x-rated movies that sits within the boundaries of his existing primary property. 

Aye, can you imagine the rush for that, mental. :lol:

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Purchased, another box ticked, not looking at the essentials, TV, seating and bar:thumbs2

Further investigation on the items above (mainly the dimensions of the settee) resulted in me drawing out the floor plan, old fashioned pencil and back of an envelope, to plan where the doors, main sitting area (settee), bar and TV will be located.

Looking like the door will not be central, giving us the sitting/TV area to the right and the bar area to the left. 

Is the opposite to a Man Cave a Lady Cave?

Wouldn’t mind getting inside some of those….

The best way I could describe some lady caves, It would be like throwing a chipolata into the clyde tunnel. [emoji23]

On 5/1/2021 at 6:44 AM, faraway saint said:

Further investigation on the items above (mainly the dimensions of the settee) resulted in me drawing out the floor plan, old fashioned pencil and back of an envelope, to plan where the doors, main sitting area (settee), bar and TV will be located.

Looking like the door will not be central, giving us the sitting/TV area to the right and the bar area to the left. 

TV ordered, 65", slightly clearer idea on seating, although delivery time could be an issue, new Firestick purchased and narrowed down the bar design. 

Getting there. 👍

As a side issue, no need to start an unnecessary thread, my broadband/WIFI has started playing up over the last week or so.

The SkyQ Minibox keeps losing the connection, our devices also lose the broadband and even Alexa keeps cutting out.

We get just over 70Mbps at the router, with about 50Mbps around the house, that's dropped to around 10Mbps.

Been on the phone to Sky twice, went through the usual stuff the first time, last night the nice lady said she'd get the team that look into these things to investigate.

She mentioned an engineer might have to come out, I politely informed her I won't be paying for an engineer, she said there would be no charge.

Nothing has changed in our set up recently, we have about 12 devices but that's been the case for months so I'm not buying it the old "too many devices" shite.

We're not gaming, downloading large amounts of data, just seems to be the router is playing up, even after resetting. 

On 4/28/2021 at 8:10 AM, oaksoft said:

Ah. The old "it was the kids" defence. :lol:

That did make me smile though. Thanks for that.

Won't lie. I'm a bit jealous of that "hut". You've got me dreaming of having one now.

Got a nice patch of garden where I removed my shed many years ago and I've done nothing with. Could probably manage something around 14 feet by 12 feet at an absolute push so nowhere near as big as yours but big enough to make a wee garden office or a cosy sun trap.

This'll do for the amount of people you have as friends.

image.jpeg.f6842ff842ea73abc50280bea3626d57.jpeg

1 hour ago, Slash said:

I’ve said before but your Wi-fi signal is dependent on many factors. I won’t go down that rabbit hole again.

It’s hard to offer a solution without seeing your physical setup. The ISP supplied routers (and mini boxes) are budget offerings. You will get far better range and performance from bespoke solutions, but they come with a cost. 

There's been NO change in the set up for over a year so it's not a set up issue.

I figured that out all by myself. 

The router supplied has been giving me 50Mbps, more than enough for my needs so I don't need another router. 

I'll see what the Sky guy says, :P

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

There's been NO change in the set up for over a year so it's not a set up issue.

I figured that out all by myself. 

The router supplied has been giving me 50Mbps, more than enough for my needs so I don't need another router. 

I'll see what the Sky guy says, :P

Early days but things seem to be back to normal.

Last night, and this morning, speed is over 50Mbps (57 to be precise) and TV/Sky Q is running smoothly.

Maybe them Sky guys have worked some magic behind the scenes.

As I said still early days. :whistle

On 5/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, faraway saint said:

Early days but things seem to be back to normal.

Last night, and this morning, speed is over 50Mbps (57 to be precise) and TV/Sky Q is running smoothly.

Maybe them Sky guys have worked some magic behind the scenes.

As I said still early days. :whistle

Spoke too soon, getting fairly regular issues, connectivity problems, network problems.

Speed is all over the place, below 10Mbps on a regular basis. 

Seems that when I start up the laptop there's almost an immediate conflict and the connection is lost to the Sky Q mini box.

Doesn't last too long but I'm going to get them to send out an engineer, need a steady connection. 

Edited by faraway saint

Spoke too soon, getting fairly regular issues, connectivity problems, network problems.
Speed is all over the place, below 10Mbps on a regular basis. 
Seems that when I start up the laptop there's almost an immediate conflict and the connection is lost to the Sky Q mini box.
Doesn't last too long but I'm going to get them to send out an engineer, need a steady connection. 

It may be an IP address conflict between the laptop and mini box.

1 minute ago, Slarti said:

It may be an IP address conflict between the laptop and mini box.

I'm not sure why as I've had the laptop since January.

This is the puzzle, nothing has changed for a long time.

If there was a conflict, all of a sudden, why and, more importantly, what can I do to fix it?

Cheers. 

I'm not sure why as I've had the laptop since January.
This is the puzzle, nothing has changed for a long time.
If there was a conflict, all of a sudden, why and, more importantly, what can I do to fix it?
Cheers. 

The IP address conflict is just a guess, but it would be the easiest thing to fix if it is that. I've never had Sky so don't know what the setup is. Does the mini box have a hardwire connection or does it connect wirelessly to the main box or does it go wirelessly via the router?

To be honest, if all these issues just started happening I would be looking at the common denominator, which would be the router (if I am guessing the setup correctly).

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

The IP address conflict is just a guess, but it would be the easiest thing to fix if it is that. I've never had Sky so don't know what the setup is. Does the mini box have a hardwire connection or does it connect wirelessly to the main box or does it go wirelessly via the router?

To be honest, if all these issues just started happening I would be looking at the common denominator, which would be the router (if I am guessing the setup correctly).

Yeah, wireless via the router, seems to be the source.

I'll contact Sky, get a new router. 

Cheers. 👍

Yeah, wireless via the router, seems to be the source.
 I'll contact Sky, get a new router. 
Cheers. [emoji106]

It might be a firmware update that has been pushed out and f**ked it up. Try turning it off for a while (at least 10 minutes, but the longer the better) then seeing how it is (when turned back on, obviously, before some smartarse says something).

If that fails try pushing the reset button. That will wipe any changes you have made to the factory setup but, going by what you have said, I don't think you will have made any so nothing to wipe.

34 minutes ago, Slarti said:

It might be a firmware update that has been pushed out and f**ked it up. Try turning it off for a while (at least 10 minutes, but the longer the better) then seeing how it is (when turned back on, obviously, before some smartarse says something).

If that fails try pushing the reset button. That will wipe any changes you have made to the factory setup but, going by what you have said, I don't think you will have made any so nothing to wipe.

I've done the "reset" button routine a while ago when this kicked off.

I'll try the "off" for a longer period, I have turned it off, but usually for only about a minute. 

• 2 weeks later...
Today's the day, can't wait to watch the progress. :thumbs2
Good luck.
We are nearing the end.

Painting the inside then got the floor to lay (next Sunday)
Then we'll build the bar.
Pool table coming on 16th June.
& the sparky will do whatever he needs to do to plug in into the mains

Scotland v England for opening night on 18th June [emoji482][emoji16].pending-1623061659-20210531_111609~2.jpeg.pending-1623061693-20210531_111523~2.jpeg20210531_111626.jpeg