St Mirren v St Johnstone. Scottish Cup Semi Final

Im with Jim on this if someone had said at seasons start 2 national cup semi finals and just missing out on top 6. I would have taken that another summer and add to what we have top 6 and more cup runs will follow. Half the so called St Mirren fans on here have all became the new Pep Guardiola these players will always been inconsistent thats why they are playing for us.

I think the biggest disappointment about today was that £3m European carrot. 
Don’t think it’ll make a huge difference to where Hibs are likely to finish next season, but for teams like us and St. Johnstone it’s a proper game changer. 
If St. J win the cup and use some of that money efficiently, it could seal them a guaranteed top 6 spot next season. 

5 minutes ago, Danish Buddie said:

Im with Jim on this if someone had said at seasons start 2 national cup semi finals and just missing out on top 6. I would have taken that another summer and add to what we have top 6 and more cup runs will follow.

Half the so called St Mirren fans on here have all became the new Pep Guardiola these players will always been inconsistent thats why they are playing for us.

I agree on the first part, despite the disappointment, we've done better than we've done for many a year, that shouldn't be forgotten.

On the second part, there's no reason St Mirren can't equal the likes of St Johnstone.

To simply accept our players were "inconsistent" isn't, IMO, good enough.

St Johnstone have a manager who get's the best out of what he has, it's what good managers do. 

4 minutes ago, Danish Buddie said:

Im with Jim on this if someone had said at seasons start 2 national cup semi finals and just missing out on top 6. I would have taken that another summer and add to what we have top 6 and more cup runs will follow. Half the so called St Mirren fans on here have all became the new Pep Guardiola these players will always been inconsistent thats why they are playing for us.

If we’d been knocked out of the two semis by The Rangers or Celtic I’d agree but to fail to make the final against the fakes and livi feels more disappointing because of the relative sizes of the clubs involved. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know I’m normally one of the worst for firing bullets all over the place when things don’t go our way, but I think a lot of people are being a bit harsh on a lot of players. I agree our midfield got overrun at times, but I don’t think anyone had a terrible game. Also thought for the most part we defended really well. 
Priority number one for me today was that we turned up and had a go. Don’t think anyone can claim we didn’t do that. Just wasn’t our day today. 

Wow!! It is a bit unusual for you...........only joking👍

What we are missing is say an Alan Power type player in middle, like what JG was and indeed I could see Tait being for next season. However I do think we need to go to a back 4 really. As good as Fraser is, he is a fullback and not a centre half. St Johnstone play 3 at back but they all centre halves and they all know what's required, rest of team buy into it too.

All in its not been a bad season by any stretch of imagination although I'd say some on here prefer the hell of great escapes and relegation play offs, strange really.

It's a building process and already looking forward to who we can bring in and towards next season.

3 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Feel totally gutted after that, even though the Johnnies were the better team we missed some absolute sitters that should have won us the game.... 

I need a serious amount of alcohol now to numb this feeling...😪

On my tenth Guinness- not working for me.

23 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think the biggest disappointment about today was that £3m European carrot. 
Don’t think it’ll make a huge difference to where Hibs are likely to finish next season, but for teams like us and St. Johnstone it’s a proper game changer. 
If St. J win the cup and use some of that money efficiently, it could seal them a guaranteed top 6 spot next season. 

Motherwell pocketed 3 million last season for Turnbull after finishing 3rd splashed the cash and never got near top 6 this year 

10 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Motherwell pocketed 3 million last season for Turnbull after finishing 3rd splashed the cash and never got near top 6 this year 

Fair enough. So they didn’t splash the cash “efficiently” as I suggested. That sum of money should guarantee a club of our (or their) size, a pain free season. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, saint in exile said:

We need somebody who can score goals first!

Nope. We need central midfielders. That's where the lack of creativity is coming from.

We have plenty of people who can score. We're not supplying them with decent opportunities.

1 hour ago, JPB1957 said:

Difference they took their chances and Middleton

The caused problems on both flanks for the entire game and they were allowed to do that because they dominated the central midfield areas.

32 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I agree on the first part, despite the disappointment, we've done better than we've done for many a year, that shouldn't be forgotten.

On the second part, there's no reason St Mirren can't equal the likes of St Johnstone.

To simply accept our players were "inconsistent" isn't, IMO, good enough.

St Johnstone have a manager who get's the best out of what he has, it's what good managers do. 

I honestly don’t think the manager is the problem, or at least I don’t think there’s enough evidence yet that he is the problem. 
I simply think we haven’t  got enough really good players yet, or quite got the balance right. 
Unfortunately I think some of the few really good players we do have won’t be around next season and it’ll be another rebuilding session.

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I honestly don’t think the manager is the problem, or at least I don’t think there’s enough evidence yet that he is the problem. 
I simply think we haven’t  got enough really good players yet, or quite got the balance right. 
Unfortunately I think some of the few really good players we do have won’t be around next season and it’ll be another rebuilding session.

If you read the match day threads they tell a very different story.

Baffling line ups, even more baffling substitutions.

There's little doubt we started the Livingston semi final on the back foot due to team selection and tactics/approach.

Can't say the same today, we, at times, played decent but real good managers get the best from what they have.

I'm not in the "get rid" camp, far from it, but there's no doubt, IMO< Goodwin has made plenty of mistakes. 

Look at the Chelsea manager, same players, different world of results since he took over. 

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Did you watch the game today? 

With Brophy, Dennis and Erwin contracted for next season and it looks likely Obika might be off, it probably leaves room for one striker to come in. He needs to be someone the can hopefully guarantee 10 plus goals a season. 

Not easy to find on our budget, but is a must if we're to progress. 

Absolutely gutted like the rest of you. The chances we missed today are a real sore one. St Johnstone we’re quicker and stronger today, but other than Jack’s wonder save from a the header and the opener, all the Fakes chances were from range. We missed better chances and that’s why we’re all greetin into our beers. Fine margins. 
Some of the long runs that the Fakes made from their own half unchallenged were hard to watch. We definitely need more bite and and legs in the middle for next season.  
Looks like big Jon, possibly McGrath (if we get a decent offer), JDH, Connolly, Flynn (massive talent but body starting to pack in) and Durmus could be ofski. We need to try and try and keep Durmus. Thought he was excellent today, but needs to play further forward in front of a back 4. 
Jim needs to lift the team and do everything in his power to get 7th. Could be the difference between 2 new players in prize money. 
The one silver lining is we don’t need to panic about rushing through our UEFA licence now. 

Feel sorry for Durmus , he was excellent today.  3 at the back doesn't work,  Shaughnessy get's dragged all over the place and isn't quick enough to recover, which results in needless fouls being given away (2nd goal today).  Midfield is a mess.  If we can bring in a proper left back I wouldn't mind seeing Tait playing the holding midfield role, JDH / Erhahon simply doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Have a few more for me as I can't due to working early tomorrow. emoji24.png

I've got a 7.30 am start, need to stop soon.

Just glad we didn't win 

giphy.gif

Beaten by a better team, no doubt about that. I did expect more of a fight from Saints but I suppose when you have no goal scorers, defeat is always likely. I went to the ground to cheer the team off earlier and it’s a pity the players couldn’t find the same enthusiasm as the fans. Very disappointing.

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

If you read the match day threads they tell a very different story.

Baffling line ups, even more baffling substitutions.

There's little doubt we started the Livingston semi final on the back foot due to team selection and tactics/approach.

Can't say the same today, we, at times, played decent but real good managers get the best from what they have.

I'm not in the "get rid" camp, far from it, but there's no doubt, IMO< Goodwin has made plenty of mistakes. 

Look at the Chelsea manager, same players, different world of results since he took over. 

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he did ?  

I would have thought by now after this game the Livingston game and failing to win at Hamilton should have shown most fans that were still a good bit short of where we need to be.. 

We have progressed this year from last, but we will need to recruit well next season too,  next season if Dundee come up we are looking at the strongest Premier league in years 

Motherwell pish season, no trophies 7th place
St Mirren "GREAT SEASON" no trophies 8th place.

1 minute ago, portmahomack saint said:

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he did ?  

I would have thought by now after this game the Livingston game and failing to win at Hamilton should have shown most fans that were still a good bit short of where we need to be.. 

We have progressed this year from last, but we will need to recruit well next season too,  next season if Dundee come up we are looking at the strongest Premier league in years 

Well, we have beaten Rangers and Celtic so we have something.

Consistency and a settled team/patters seems to elude us. 

The amount of games we have players that show an alarming drop in quality is frightening. 

Look at today, the number of times we hoofed the ball upfield to absolutely no one was shocking. 

Remember this team is Goodwins team, no excuses that get rolled out year after year.

Overall I think he's, the manager, done quite well.

7/10 for me. 

Over the years I must have said a 1000 times, when the free-kick is so far out, why put up a defensive wall? All it does is unsight the keeper which is exactly what happened today.

With no wall and a clear sight of the kick being taken, any keeper who can't save a dead ball strike from 25-30 yards shouldn't be playing.