Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ICC

St Mirren v St Johnstone. Scottish Cup Semi Final

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Did you watch the game today? 

With Brophy, Dennis and Erwin contracted for next season and it looks likely Obika might be off, it probably leaves room for one striker to come in. He needs to be someone the can hopefully guarantee 10 plus goals a season. 

Not easy to find on our budget, but is a must if we're to progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely gutted like the rest of you. The chances we missed today are a real sore one. St Johnstone we’re quicker and stronger today, but other than Jack’s wonder save from a the header and the opener, all the Fakes chances were from range. We missed better chances and that’s why we’re all greetin into our beers. Fine margins. 
Some of the long runs that the Fakes made from their own half unchallenged were hard to watch. We definitely need more bite and and legs in the middle for next season.  
Looks like big Jon, possibly McGrath (if we get a decent offer), JDH, Connolly, Flynn (massive talent but body starting to pack in) and Durmus could be ofski. We need to try and try and keep Durmus. Thought he was excellent today, but needs to play further forward in front of a back 4. 
Jim needs to lift the team and do everything in his power to get 7th. Could be the difference between 2 new players in prize money. 
The one silver lining is we don’t need to panic about rushing through our UEFA licence now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel sorry for Durmus , he was excellent today.  3 at the back doesn't work,  Shaughnessy get's dragged all over the place and isn't quick enough to recover, which results in needless fouls being given away (2nd goal today).  Midfield is a mess.  If we can bring in a proper left back I wouldn't mind seeing Tait playing the holding midfield role, JDH / Erhahon simply doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Have a few more for me as I can't due to working early tomorrow. emoji24.png

I've got a 7.30 am start, need to stop soon.

Just glad we didn't win 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beaten by a better team, no doubt about that. I did expect more of a fight from Saints but I suppose when you have no goal scorers, defeat is always likely. I went to the ground to cheer the team off earlier and it’s a pity the players couldn’t find the same enthusiasm as the fans. Very disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

If you read the match day threads they tell a very different story.

Baffling line ups, even more baffling substitutions.

There's little doubt we started the Livingston semi final on the back foot due to team selection and tactics/approach.

Can't say the same today, we, at times, played decent but real good managers get the best from what they have.

I'm not in the "get rid" camp, far from it, but there's no doubt, IMO< Goodwin has made plenty of mistakes. 

Look at the Chelsea manager, same players, different world of results since he took over. 

 

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he did ?  

I would have thought by now after this game the Livingston game and failing to win at Hamilton should have shown most fans that were still a good bit short of where we need to be.. 

We have progressed this year from last, but we will need to recruit well next season too,  next season if Dundee come up we are looking at the strongest Premier league in years 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Motherwell pocketed 3 million last season for Turnbull after finishing 3rd splashed the cash and never got near top 6 this year 
Motherwell pish season, no trophies 7th place
St Mirren "GREAT SEASON" no trophies 8th place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, portmahomack saint said:

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he did ?  

I would have thought by now after this game the Livingston game and failing to win at Hamilton should have shown most fans that were still a good bit short of where we need to be.. 

We have progressed this year from last, but we will need to recruit well next season too,  next season if Dundee come up we are looking at the strongest Premier league in years 

 

Well, we have beaten Rangers and Celtic so we have something.

Consistency and a settled team/patters seems to elude us. 

The amount of games we have players that show an alarming drop in quality is frightening. 

Look at today, the number of times we hoofed the ball upfield to absolutely no one was shocking. 

Remember this team is Goodwins team, no excuses that get rolled out year after year.

Overall I think he's, the manager, done quite well.

7/10 for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the years I must have said a 1000 times, when the free-kick is so far out, why put up a defensive wall? All it does is unsight the keeper which is exactly what happened today.

With no wall and a clear sight of the kick being taken, any keeper who can't save a dead ball strike from 25-30 yards shouldn't be playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slash said:

I have to shoulder some blame for today’s match.

I should not have listened to@Munoz and his wild bet on Big Joe-St Mirren double bet.

He had a half chance at 0-0. Fine margins and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Absolutely gutted like the rest of you. The chances we missed today are a real sore one. St Johnstone we’re quicker and stronger today, but other than Jack’s wonder save from a the header and the opener, all the Fakes chances were from range. We missed better chances and that’s why we’re all greetin into our beers. Fine margins. 
Some of the long runs that the Fakes made from their own half unchallenged were hard to watch. We definitely need more bite and and legs in the middle for next season.  
Looks like big Jon, possibly McGrath (if we get a decent offer), JDH, Connolly, Flynn (massive talent but body starting to pack in) and Durmus could be ofski. We need to try and try and keep Durmus. Thought he was excellent today, but needs to play further forward in front of a back 4. 
Jim needs to lift the team and do everything in his power to get 7th. Could be the difference between 2 new players in prize money. 
The one silver lining is we don’t need to panic about rushing through our UEFA licence now. 

 

Agree I really hope we can keep Durmus, I can’t even remember reading if he has been offered a contract. I also would like to keep Flynn another year, he’d be first name on my team sheet when fit. A good pre season working with the physio and junior and hopefully we could squeeze another year out him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Nope. We need central midfielders. That's where the lack of creativity is coming from.

We have plenty of people who can score. We're not supplying them with decent opportunities.

So Quaner and Dennis didn't miss sitters today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Subbing Tait just after they had introduced a left winger was naivety beyond belief . They were so strapped on the bench today that introducing a winger , either Middleton or Conway , was likely to be their only tactical change , yet we get suckered by it and concede from Middleton's cross within 4 minutes ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

cant see how you can criticise Ethan, he put a lot in today, he needed more support from others in midfield.

Erahon is 20 today but still lacks maturity. I keep being told he is one for the future. I'd prefer if he was now one for the present . I have a suspicion he is always going to be one for the future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Fair enough. So they didn’t splash the cash “efficiently” as I suggested. That sum of money should guarantee a club of our (or their) size, a pain free season. 

We just need McGinn to have an outstanding Euros. A hat trick against the Auld Enemy could entice some top 6 clubs to make a silly offer to Villa. I’ve read a report of some middle of the road midfielder with an outrageous release clause.

“Sheffield United's 23-year-old Norwegian midfielder Sander Berge, who has been linked with Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton, could leaves Bramall Lane for £35m because of a relegation clause in his contract.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cant see how you can criticise Ethan, he put a lot in today, he needed more support from others in midfield.
Why can you not? He plays centre mid, yet is lethargic, cannot head the ball, cannot kick with his right foot, gives away stupid fouls and in general takes no responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billyg said:

Subbing Tait just after they had introduced a left winger was naivety beyond belief . They were so strapped on the bench today that introducing a winger , either Middleton or Conway , was likely to be their only tactical change , yet we get suckered by it and concede from Middleton's cross within 4 minutes ! 

You could look at that two ways Billy. Perhaps he was countering it by introducing Connolly with the intention of saying let Middleton chase Connolly back. Why should we necessarily be the ones to defensively counter an attacking move by them. It didn’t work, fair enough, but it wasn’t necessarily naive. 
Honestly he gets criticised for not being attacking enough and gets criticised for not being defensive enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, delpierro said:

Still baffled with Tait, being substitutrd emoji848.png

2 minutes before he was subbed an attack from us broke down at the edge of the fakes box and (forget the fakes player's name) ran down the line with tait chasing and got severely out paced .........tait, sadly had ran his race....was a good substitution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, party politics said:
1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:
cant see how you can criticise Ethan, he put a lot in today, he needed more support from others in midfield.

Why can you not? He plays centre mid, yet is lethargic, cannot head the ball, cannot kick with his right foot, gives away stupid fouls and in general takes no responsibility.

And is lazy and immature...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...