St Mirren v St Johnstone. Scottish Cup Semi Final

5 minutes ago, Slash said:

I have to shoulder some blame for today’s match.

I should not have listened to@Munoz and his wild bet on Big Joe-St Mirren double bet.

He had a half chance at 0-0. Fine margins and all that.

52 minutes ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Absolutely gutted like the rest of you. The chances we missed today are a real sore one. St Johnstone we’re quicker and stronger today, but other than Jack’s wonder save from a the header and the opener, all the Fakes chances were from range. We missed better chances and that’s why we’re all greetin into our beers. Fine margins. 
Some of the long runs that the Fakes made from their own half unchallenged were hard to watch. We definitely need more bite and and legs in the middle for next season.  
Looks like big Jon, possibly McGrath (if we get a decent offer), JDH, Connolly, Flynn (massive talent but body starting to pack in) and Durmus could be ofski. We need to try and try and keep Durmus. Thought he was excellent today, but needs to play further forward in front of a back 4. 
Jim needs to lift the team and do everything in his power to get 7th. Could be the difference between 2 new players in prize money. 
The one silver lining is we don’t need to panic about rushing through our UEFA licence now. 

Agree I really hope we can keep Durmus, I can’t even remember reading if he has been offered a contract. I also would like to keep Flynn another year, he’d be first name on my team sheet when fit. A good pre season working with the physio and junior and hopefully we could squeeze another year out him. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Nope. We need central midfielders. That's where the lack of creativity is coming from.

We have plenty of people who can score. We're not supplying them with decent opportunities.

So Quaner and Dennis didn't miss sitters today?

Subbing Tait just after they had introduced a left winger was naivety beyond belief . They were so strapped on the bench today that introducing a winger , either Middleton or Conway , was likely to be their only tactical change , yet we get suckered by it and concede from Middleton's cross within 4 minutes ! 

8 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

cant see how you can criticise Ethan, he put a lot in today, he needed more support from others in midfield.

Erahon is 20 today but still lacks maturity. I keep being told he is one for the future. I'd prefer if he was now one for the present . I have a suspicion he is always going to be one for the future

cant see how you can criticise Ethan, he put a lot in today, he needed more support from others in midfield.
Why can you not? He plays centre mid, yet is lethargic, cannot head the ball, cannot kick with his right foot, gives away stupid fouls and in general takes no responsibility.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Subbing Tait just after they had introduced a left winger was naivety beyond belief . They were so strapped on the bench today that introducing a winger , either Middleton or Conway , was likely to be their only tactical change , yet we get suckered by it and concede from Middleton's cross within 4 minutes ! 

You could look at that two ways Billy. Perhaps he was countering it by introducing Connolly with the intention of saying let Middleton chase Connolly back. Why should we necessarily be the ones to defensively counter an attacking move by them. It didn’t work, fair enough, but it wasn’t necessarily naive. 
Honestly he gets criticised for not being attacking enough and gets criticised for not being defensive enough. 

7 minutes ago, delpierro said:

Still baffled with Tait, being substitutrd emoji848.png

2 minutes before he was subbed an attack from us broke down at the edge of the fakes box and (forget the fakes player's name) ran down the line with tait chasing and got severely out paced .........tait, sadly had ran his race....was a good substitution 

56 minutes ago, party politics said:
1 hour ago, beyond our ken said:

Why can you not? He plays centre mid, yet is lethargic, cannot head the ball, cannot kick with his right foot, gives away stupid fouls and in general takes no responsibility.

And is lazy and immature...

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Tait was done Billy

it was right to take him off

2 hours ago, saint in exile said:

So Quaner and Dennis didn't miss sitters today?

Dennis didn't.

Quaner did everything to get to that ball and was unbelievably unlucky that it hit the wrong part of his boot.

Same with Erwin.

It was exceptional play from both of them to get anywhere near those balls and I'm not criticising either of them.

1 hour ago, party politics said:
2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Constructive criticism is to be expected but that bit in bold is utter shite. The boy is just 20 years of age.

Away and have a word with yourself.

3 hours ago, Balmullo Bud said:

Absolutely gutted like the rest of you. The chances we missed today are a real sore one. St Johnstone we’re quicker and stronger today, but other than Jack’s wonder save from a the header and the opener, all the Fakes chances were from range. We missed better chances and that’s why we’re all greetin into our beers. Fine margins. 
Some of the long runs that the Fakes made from their own half unchallenged were hard to watch. We definitely need more bite and and legs in the middle for next season.  
Looks like big Jon, possibly McGrath (if we get a decent offer), JDH, Connolly, Flynn (massive talent but body starting to pack in) and Durmus could be ofski. We need to try and try and keep Durmus. Thought he was excellent today, but needs to play further forward in front of a back 4. 
Jim needs to lift the team and do everything in his power to get 7th. Could be the difference between 2 new players in prize money. 
The one silver lining is we don’t need to panic about rushing through our UEFA licence now. 

No doubting the effort and skill of either Ethan or JDH but JDH seems to sit too deep and I'm not sure about Ethan's engine for a central midfielder so that's a concern I think. McGrath I can't fathom out at all. He seems to drift out of games and for the life of me I can't work out why that is - whether he goes too wide or stays too high up or whatever. I lose track of where he is during games. Something just isn't working in central midfield and IMO that's causing problems for our strikers because they are isolated and our defenders because they are left highly vulnerable. I would have stuck Flynn in central midfield and taken Ethan off I think although we were starting to sort that midfield issue out when the buggers went and scored so who knows.

For me, this is the sum total of where we need to look to improve for next season. Defensively, I'm confident we're as good as anyone. I'm also pretty confident that we're fine up front as well although with Quaner and Obika likely to go, there's a gap for someone Maybe it's a chance for Jamieson.

Edited by oaksoft

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Dennis didn't.

Quaner did everything to get to that ball and was unbelievably unlucky that it hit the wrong part of his boot.

Same with Erwin.

It was exceptional play from both of them to get anywhere near those balls and I'm not criticising either of them.

:lol:

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No doubting the effort and skill of either Ethan or JDH but JDH seems to sit too deep and I'm not sure about Ethan's engine for a central midfielder so that's a concern I think. McGrath I can't fathom out at all. He seems to drift out of games and for the life of me I can't work out why that is - whether he goes too wide or stays too high up or whatever. Something just isn't working in central midfield and IMO that's causing problems for our strikers because they are isolated and our defenders because they are left highly vulnerable.

For me, this is the sum total of where we need to look to improve for next season. Defensively, I'm confident we're as good as anyone. I'm also pretty confident that we're fine up front as well although with Quaner and Obika likely to go, there's a gap for someone Maybe it's a chance for Jamieson.

Jeezo, are you for real? :lol

Somebody point out to this dimwit here's our strikers goal tally and goals per 90 mins, confident we're fine. :lol:

image.png.946c975666c52bd3e8cd7ea283ab6e2c.png

Edited by faraway saint

I read many posts that we were beaten by ‘the better team’ today as was said after the Livingston semi final. I, after a few hours of reflection, am still finding that hard to believe and is nothing more than an excuse. 
I have seen us play in many semi finals over a number of years and, in my opinion, these two provided us with the best opportunities to progress. 
so my thought is, why are St. Johnstone and Livingston ‘better’ than us?

we have the best squad we’ve had in years and the manager has been very well supported yet we have fallen at every hurdle this season, apart from not in relegation with games to spare. 
so, from my own humble opinion, this season has been no more successful than the play off season. 
Only my opinion, mind but poor game management has a helluva lot to answer for...

Jeezo, are you for real? 
Somebody point out to this dimwit here's our strikers goal tally, confident we're fine. 
image.png.96dc94f87735de5f67fd6bc520edcb20.png
Still can't get my head round the fact the player who has scored around 20 goals in last 18 months sat the full 90 minutes on the bench.

Can't hold off venting my frustration any longer. 

That was embarrassing to watch. Any potential midfield target or player we currently have must be thinking wtf. Yet again we resorted to hoofball tactics which was horrendous to watch. St Johnstone have a decent defence similar to ourselves in height and stature. Erwin managed to take a couple down but won very little if any in the air much like Obika in previous games. The inconsistency in playing free flowing football that occasionally happened has vanished. You could see Jim asking the players to slow it down and play it out yet nearly every time it went back to Jak it was hoofed. 

As I have said before Shaughnessy's distribution is poor. McCarthy is actually alright coming out of defence a bit with the ball and in some games has instigated passages of play. The tactical setup and what starts from the back line was one of the problems today along with a disjointed and disorganised midfield. 

We weren't positive enough minded from the offset which is a common theme and you have to wonder what the instructions / tactics were before the match. Yes we got a few chances but we were playing football like a championship team. 

If the instructions to Jak was to hoof the ball all the time then Jim is to blame. If it wasn't then Jim seriously needs to have a word with him as that is not anywhere near the type of football I would pay to watch. Interesting summer window ahead and next season will tell if he has a specific type of football he wants to play and attracts the right players to play it. Hope some of the new youth graduates are able to step up as there is a desperate need for energy on the park except for a few who performed but will probably be off.

Congratulations to St Johnstone who thoroughly deserved to win and played some decent stuff.

Roll on next season and hopefully we can get back to playing football rather than hoofball otherwise lets start looking for players from the Gaelic Football League. 

4 minutes ago, Slash said:

I’m firmly in the belief that it was a clear penalty in the first half on two counts.

1. The ball was heading into the far corner and the outstretched arm deflected this away from the target.

2. The follow through on Dennis was a clear foul regardless of the ball going.

Compare this non award with the one Collum gave against us in the League Cup Semi against Celtic in 2013.

The shot was going off target as Goodwin went to block. 

Had we taken the lead today at that point in the game I believe we would have gone on to win. Had VAR been in use, up steps Jamie McGrath.

Basically Collum the Incompetent f**ked up once again. He had a clear view of the hand ball and the follow through kick on Dennis. 

I totally agree, bud, but these are the margins that we have to deal with. We should have had enough about us to be more positive in our play. I would argue that St. Johnstone/Livingston are no better than us but they believe more in the game plan that there manager sets out for them. 

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No doubting the effort and skill of either Ethan or JDH but JDH seems to sit too deep and I'm not sure about Ethan's engine for a central midfielder so that's a concern I think. McGrath I can't fathom out at all. He seems to drift out of games and for the life of me I can't work out why that is - whether he goes too wide or stays too high up or whatever. I lose track of where he is during games. Something just isn't working in central midfield and IMO that's causing problems for our strikers because they are isolated and our defenders because they are left highly vulnerable. I would have stuck Flynn in central midfield and taken Ethan off I think although we were starting to sort that midfield issue out when the buggers went and scored so who knows.

I think JDH is a talent. He was superb in his first few games; something to prove, playing further forward? He’s not looked as interested since coming back from injury. Maybe thinks he too good for us and his celebrations after the Killie shoot out were pretty muted. He seems keen to get out as soon as possible.  

Ethan shows some touches of class at times but lacks consistency. He also looks a slow at times and today he looked like he was way off the pace trying to track back. I’m sure the pitch at Hampden is the same size as St Mirren Park, so shouldn’t have been more of an issue today?? Still young so hopefully will kick on. 

McGrath does drift in and out of games and I’m not sure why. His delivery and touch on the ball is brilliant, but he is quiet for long periods. Think he would tick with better players around him/better shape. Our midfield shape didn’t work today, again. Totally agree there’s too big a gap between midfield and up front. We definitely need to strengthen in midfield. Would be delighted if Flynn could get fit and a long run in the team. He’s been a massive loss this season. 

Think/hope Brophy and wee Henderson could have big seasons for us next year. Would be sad to see Obika go. Dennis looks like he will score goals with service. Quaner was always leaving and was unlucky with injuries. Not had enough football to see him sharp and at his best. Was happy to see him come on today(hindsight is a wonderful thing). 

Goodie is going to have a bit of a rebuild on his hands over the summer but we do have a strong keeper and defence to build from. 

55 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Constructive criticism is to be expected but that bit in bold is utter shite. The boy is just 20 years of age.

Away and have a word with yourself.

The boy is 20 years of age, yet in your very next post you say he may not have the "engine" to play centre midfield? What age do you need to be to play this position?Where do you see him playing? He broke into the team as a fill in left back and after failing there people said give him a chance in his real position. 

If you want to cut to the chase, he is nowhere near good enough to be playing football at this level at this time. And if he does want a future in the game he needs to go and work extremely hard at his weaknesses of which there are many.

Taking responsibility comes in many forms, looking interested would be a start. Not marking "ghosts" outside the box would be another. Not falling over at the slightest touch would be another.

I have no idea why the manager picks him most weeks, so that is even more worrying in my opinion.

Just because a player came through our youth ranks, does not mean they are exempt from comment.

Our weakness is the midfield but some of that is down to the formation. We play two sitting midfielders who play very deep. Ethan is the weak link there so JDH is forced to stay back. We also play two wide players very wide often leaving McGrath trying to cover all of the midfield on his own and we get overrun.

We look a lot more competitive with 442 or with a 3241. Flynn in midfield and JDH on his own today would have made a big difference.