St Mirren v St Johnstone. Scottish Cup Semi Final

We have had a good season in the sense that we were  clear of the relegation battle well before we normally are. Unless we get seventh position it has been no better than 11/12 and 13/14 when we were 8th. Although our league position was 11th in 12/13 we won the League cup which makes it a better season than this one.  Going far in a cup doesn't, in my humble opinion, improve a season unless you win it . Losing in the final or semi really hurts . Today has left me totally deflated even though we are nowhere near our normal relegation battle. Getting seventh position in the league will at least make this our best season,12/13 excepted, in many years  . I'm afraid that's about as positive as I can get.

1 hour ago, party politics said:

The boy is 20 years of age, yet in your very next post you say he may not have the "engine" to play centre midfield? What age do you need to be to play this position?Where do you see him playing? He broke into the team as a fill in left back and after failing there people said give him a chance in his real position. 

If you don't know the difference between questioning his engine which I did and accusing him of refusing to take any responsibility which you did then I can't help you. And now you are talking about him not looking interested enough for your liking. This is just bollox.

The boy is 20 years old. Keep your criticism constructive or accept you're going to be called out on it.

Edited by oaksoft

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If you don't know the difference between questioning his engine which I did and accusing him of refusing to take any responsibility which you did then I can't help you.

The boy is 20 years old. Keep your criticism constructive or accept you're going to be called out on it.

Hes lazy as feck, takes no responsibility and is lazy in tackle...

2 hours ago, Slash said:

I’m firmly in the belief that it was a clear penalty in the first half on two counts.

1. The ball was heading into the far corner and the outstretched arm deflected this away from the target.

2. The follow through on Dennis was a clear foul regardless of the ball going.

Compare this non award with the one Collum gave against us in the League Cup Semi against Celtic in 2013.

The shot was going off target as Goodwin went to block. 

Had we taken the lead today at that point in the game I believe we would have gone on to win. Had VAR been in use, up steps Jamie McGrath.

Basically Collum the Incompetent f**ked up once again. He had a clear view of the hand ball and the follow through kick on Dennis. 

You are aware that penalty rules have changed a few times since 2013 right? :lol:

It wasn't a penalty and we shouldn't clutching at straws. If St J had been awarded a penalty against us like that we'd have been stewing over it and rightly so.

We have had a good season in the sense that we were  clear of the relegation battle well before we normally are. Unless we get seventh position it has been no better than 11/12 and 13/14 when we were 8th. Although our league position was 11th in 12/13 we won the League cup which makes it a better season than this one.  Going far in a cup doesn't, in my humble opinion, improve a season unless you win it . Losing in the final or semi really hurts . Today has left me totally deflated even though we are nowhere near our normal relegation battle. Getting seventh position in the league will at least make this our best season,12/13 excepted, in many years  . I'm afraid that's about as positive as I can get.
Imo finishing 11th and winning a cup will always be a better season than finishing anywhere from 5th to 7th with no cup win.

I can assure you this is me keeping my post constructive.

If you don't know the difference between questioning his engine which I did and accusing him of refusing to take any responsibility which you did then I can't help you. And now you are talking about him not looking interested enough for your liking. This is just bollox.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Dennis didn't.

Quaner did everything to get to that ball and was unbelievably unlucky that it hit the wrong part of his boot.

Same with Erwin.

It was exceptional play from both of them to get anywhere near those balls and I'm not criticising either of them.

You said we don't create decent chances for our 'strikers'. Bullshit. Quaner, Dennis, Erwin and Brophy ALL missed good chances today, and we've been wasting good chances for weeks. It was left to a defender to get something for us today, and a midfielder's been our biggest goal threat all season. Let's face it, we need a goalscorer. If we hadn't pissed away 6th place, maybe we'd have the money to get one.

4 hours ago, billyg said:

Not denying that , but should have kept our shape and introduced Flynn.

Yeah totally agree, don't think I've seen Flynn play badly for us in a long time, if the problem was issues over his fitness he shouldn't have been on the bench in the first place...

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You are aware that penalty rules have changed a few times since 2013 right? :lol:

It wasn't a penalty and we shouldn't clutching at straws. If St J had been awarded a penalty against us like that we'd have been stewing over it and rightly so.

What are the penalty rules these days, seems very unclear, at least inconsistently interpreted. It wasn’t deliberate hand ball but the ball was heading towards the goal and the players arm was outstretched not by his side. You see players all the time putting there hands behind their backs when tackling in the box because they don’t want to give away penalties. I was amazed all three pundits including Thomo said it wasn’t a penalty. We lost to the better team but that was a penalty for me. 

10 minutes ago, Bgsaint said:

What are the penalty rules these days, seems very unclear, at least inconsistently interpreted. It wasn’t deliberate hand ball but the ball was heading towards the goal and the players arm was outstretched not by his side. You see players all the time putting there hands behind their backs when tackling in the box because they don’t want to give away penalties. I was amazed all three pundits including Thomo said it wasn’t a penalty. We lost to the better team but that was a penalty for me. 

Totally agree 🏁🏁🏁

I am absolutely baffled that Erhahon is the target for so much angst on here. I don't see anything that the guy is doing wrong to be honest and in a straight choice between him and JDH for the role we are trying to fill, I'd have Erhahon every single time. 

13 minutes ago, JPB1957 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Looking back on the match most of their attacks came from wide would a 4.4.2 have stopped the flow down the wings

Agree both their wingers played very well and caused us problems. I thought they passed their way right through our midfield very easily as well though after the first 15 minutes. They hit short diagonal passes from defence into midfield and moved the ball fast. Better players and all on their game unfortunately.

Just for the record fakes play a 3-5-2 system with Rooney and Booth as wing backs I don't agree they have better players than us McCart couldn't get a game for us and we rejected Rooney after a trial match I thought by the way Durmus tortured Rooney no doubt their young manager sets them up well they improved when they brought on the on loan Ranger we will live and learn COYS

Agree both their wingers played very well and caused us problems. I thought they passed their way right through our midfield very easily as well though after the first 15 minutes. They hit short diagonal passes from defence into midfield and moved the ball fast. Better players and all on their game unfortunately.

8 hours ago, saint in exile said:

You said we don't create decent chances for our 'strikers'. Bullshit. Quaner, Dennis, Erwin and Brophy ALL missed good chances today, and we've been wasting good chances for weeks. It was left to a defender to get something for us today, and a midfielder's been our biggest goal threat all season. Let's face it, we need a goalscorer. If we hadn't pissed away 6th place, maybe we'd have the money to get one.

This is spot on. Missing out on 6th place is much more damaging for us than losing cup semi-finals. Apart from the money 6th place would have brought us, JG would have found it much easier to persuade decent strikers to come to the club next season. 'We're a top six club and you can help us go higher'.

Now looks like we'll finish 7th, 8th or even 9th, so prospective players will see us as just another bottom six club which could be fighting relegation next season. We'll lose the momentum we've had this season. Not getting top six was a real killer for us!

1 hour ago, Bgsaint said:

All three pundits on Premier Sports said it was a penalty although for the actual challenge following through on Dennis.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I am absolutely baffled that Erhahon is the target for so much angst on here. I don't see anything that the guy is doing wrong to be honest and in a straight choice between him and JDH for the role we are trying to fill, I'd have Erhahon every single time. 

I'm in total agreement, maybe i don't read the game very well but I saw EE covering a lot of ground on both sides of the park and making good interventions to break up play.

He didn't get support from midfield colleagues and the back 3 that isn't really a back 3 left us exposed behind his area and he constantly had to backfill.

I dont want to be critical of JDH, I would say that he hasn't impressed me that much in the few games I've watched in their entirety since Christmas but maybe I've missed the good stuff does.

2 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Just for the record fakes play a 3-5-2 system with Rooney and Booth as wing backs I don't agree they have better players than us McCart couldn't get a game for us and we rejected Rooney after a trial match I thought by the way Durmus tortured Rooney no doubt their young manager sets them up well they improved when they brought on the on loan Ranger we will live and learn COYS

I thought Rooney, Kane (if that's the 2 baldy guys) and Wotherspoon gave us a tough time. Durmus was our best player by a mile. Other than the first 20 minutes or so I felt St Johnstone looked the better and stronger side - albeit we created some good chances. As you say, we live and learn  COYS.

We have an improved  squad but we lack a player who will take the game  by the stuff of the neck and drive us forward  when we have setbacks.

Too many games where we lose 2 goals within minutes  of each other

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

100%

I'm not surprised that he's singled out.. probably by the same fans who criticized Billy Stark but roared with delight when John Young and Cowboy McCormack crunched into tackles then raced down the wing crossed the ball which landed on a roof in Caledonia street cheering wildly 😂 

As piss off as i was yesterday, the best team won on the day. 

As well as better players needed, i also feel we need an old head as a assistant to Goodwin. 

You very rarely see Sharp talking to Goodwin at any time in the game or even trying to encourage the players. 

An old head like Tommy Craig ( not him personally) would be a better help to Goodwin rather than the invisible Sharp in making decision during the game.

To a certain extent I agree, however he refuses to use his right foot which often results in him either having to play the pass back rather than forwards or make a risky spinning move that either comes off or means he loses the ball, there are still good points but this is a basic that he needs to work on that and his constant backchat which will get him booked more often than it should. If it were me i'd have some sort of training drill that results in a forfeit each time he uses his left when there was a simpler option to use his right.

45 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:
5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

To a certain extent I agree, however he refuses to use his right foot which often results in him either having to play the pass back rather than forwards or make a risky spinning move that either comes off or means he loses the ball, there are still good points but this is a basic that he needs to work on that and his constant backchat which will get him booked more often than it should. If it were me i'd have some sort of training drill that results in a forfeit each time he uses his left when there was a simpler option to use his right.

Agree with this totally it's something I've already pointed out... he really needs to work on this... don't think I've ever seen a more one footed pro