One who got away

I know it has been mentioned on here before, but how did we let Riyad Mahrez slip through our fingers in 2009?

Especially when you see how he has performed in the two UEFA semi final legs against PSG when there were umpteen world stars on view between the two teams.

You can now hear from the man himself how he missed the chance of a lifetime - https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-transfers-weird-the-story-of-riyad-mahrezs-failed-trial-at-scottish-side-st-mirren-20210505

14 minutes ago, Slash said:

David Longwell wanted to sign him at 17. Gus the manager said no. Not the first time Gus overlooked youth. 

Gus always did have an eye for (St Mirren) quality players.

However, Mahrez himself still seems a bit miffed that he was kept hanging on for a response from St Mirren.

If only ............

29 minutes ago, Slash said:

Did Gus not want rid of Kenny McLean? I’m sure Gus sometimes fielded less substitutes rather than promote anything from the academy.

Yes I recall that well.  Did he not let Kenny's contract run down and he was re-signed by wee Danny?

My recollection may be faulty but something in my auld heid is tingling away

To be fair, Mahrez was just another youngster in the conveyor belt of young foreign trialists coming through the club at the time. I'm sure at 17 and being hawked out to Scotland by his agents for trials, no-one had him pinned as a superstar in the making.

23 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, Mahrez was just another youngster in the conveyor belt of young foreign trialists coming through the club at the time. I'm sure at 17 and being hawked out to Scotland by his agents for trials, no-one had him pinned as a superstar in the making.

Think 7 goals in 4 games should have been a good guide of his potential if you know your job that is 

Having had a look at his club stats, after his trial with us joined Quimper in  French lg4 which I would assume far lower standard than SPL then onto le harve b team then 1at team so in that respect whoever his coaches were able to help build his qualities into the player he was when he left for Leicester.

Unfortunately if he had signed for us I fear he would have been thrown in as the next big star almost immediately and may have had the opposite effect on his career.

25 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Think 7 goals in 4 games should have been a good guide of his potential if you know your job that is 

I mean, that's not necessarily the defining factor without any sort of context. We signed Callum Ball off the back of scoring 5 goals in 2 games against non-league teams in friendlies and he was a fat hopeless c**t.

4 minutes ago, Slash said:

That was that useless cnut Tommy Craig. We’ve historically been shafted by former players or staff from Celtic.

I present the following evidence….Bone, Hay, Craig and Stubbs. Although I think we should cut Jimmy Bone some slack as he was an excellent player for us. A bit like Fitzy in that regard.

Just highlights the excellent job Goodwin is doing in his first full time management role - even though he played one game for them. 😂 

Throw Darren Jackson into the mix there as well.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, that's not necessarily the defining factor without any sort of context. We signed Callum Ball off the back of scoring 5 goals in 2 games against non-league teams in friendlies and he was a fat hopeless c**t.

True and for that reason I'm not surprised we signed him 

In my opinion the coaches at all levels in Scotland have a lot to answer for over the last 40 + years,  size fitness and how fast you can run became more important than skill and ability.  hence the reason some players can hardly pass the ball to a team mate from 5 yards. 

I would bet on it that Mahrez was over looked because he could be blown over with a strong gust of wind. not because of his ability.  

Callum Ball was one big lump of a boy was he not, I rest my case 

• 3 weeks later...