Kilmarnock V Saints

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, oaksoft said:
The problem is our midfield is struggling to impose itself and our defence gets over-run.
Don't know if it's the formation or the players but that's been our problem all season.

There was no midfield battle to lose tonight. Killie just looked to go long to Lafferty or Burke and feed off that all night. We had tons of possession, most of it passive nonsense in the 1st half but Connolly got us going out wide 2nd half and we suddenly looked dangerous.

They were playing a lot of direct stuff for sure but their midfield had free reign all over the pitch up to 20 yards from our penalty box. They played a very high line and used their wings well. That allowed them to pick up second balls and rebounds and keep the pressure on us. That left them exposed which allowed us to attack them down our wings.

Both teams were fantastic down both wings but that central hole was exposed again tonight. I'm certain Jim knows this and will look to improve there next season.

It was incredible to watch that but our structural play will be giving Jim nightmares right now. My heart has barely slowed.

Edited by oaksoft

58 minutes ago, magnus said:

I like your confidence. I genuinely thought we would lose right up to the ref's final whistle. Some great stops again by the big goalie. COYS.

It's probably based on the fact that we've scored so many late goals that I always expect another one.

I'm also a pretty positive person anyway.

3 hours ago, the barrhead teacher said:

Cracking equaliser. Really good game. Just lost another though. Rely too heavily on midfield for goals. Give killie their due they are playing to survive and all the goals in the game have been well worked

and low and behold , up pops a striker.

2 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

If JG went and played 4 4 2 or 4 4 1 1  then with connolly and durmus  playing as out and out wingers we may have fared better. Who knows tho. I'm just old school and think that's how footy should be played

I get the impression Jim is still learning his trade and how best to use the players at his disposal. Hence the strange formations at times. I hope another decent transfer window will see him settle on a more steady formation. Looking forward to see how it pans out. 

Felt the midfield played further forward last night with only one sitting deep - Flynn. We looked to actually have midfielders who were winning things and supporting the strikers (not that the syrikers did anything with the support). Hopefully Jim is leaning that two sitting midfielders isn't working.

I do think Connolly has suffered because of formation but I agree with the point you make.
Connelly problem is he doesn't track back. In the way Durmus has adapted his game. And he's been excellent. Connelly is a good forward player. I'd like him to stay. Think Obika is a goner along with Morias. Very good in flashes big Jon. But not consistent enough. Thought young Finlayson came on to a game. One for the future.

Gary agree with you say with the exception of Finlayson t think he will come good in time but is very young for a central defender I feel that a season on loan with a Championship club would be best for him if you remember the likes of Naismith did that just my opinion.I consider we have a great back four that more or less picks itself with an outstanding keeper behind

Connelly problem is he doesn't track back. In the way Durmus has adapted his game. And he's been excellent. Connelly is a good forward player. I'd like him to stay. Think Obika is a goner along with Morias. Very good in flashes big Jon. But not consistent enough. Thought young Finlayson came on to a game. One for the future.

Gary agree with you say with the exception of Finlayson t think he will come good in time but is very young for a central defender I feel that a season on loan with a Championship club would be best for him if you remember the likes of Naismith did that just my opinion.I consider we have a great back four that more or less picks itself with an outstanding keeper behind
I never said anything negative about Finlayson bud. As I said 1 for the future.

4 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Yeah, he's not quite ready for this level yet IMO and would benefit from a spell on loan at Championship level for a few months under less pressure. I suspect that's what will happen with him.