Jump to content

ICC

St Mirren v Dundee United SPFL Premiership 16/5/21

Recommended Posts

Being within a few minutes of reaching top 6, reaching two semi-finals, beating both of the Glasgow giants in the same season, being clear of the relegation and playoff places several weeks before the end of the season. These are all indicators that we have had  an above average season - not a great season but definitely above average compared to recent seasons (with the exception of the year we won the Championship).

We should accept that the club has made progress and enjoy that feeling. Not the finished article by a long way, but perhaps laying foundations for something better to come. Next season will be critical. Can JG continue the upward trajectory or will we slide backwards? If we do, perhaps those who are bemoaning our 'failures' this season will regret not enjoying this year's achievements more. Or perhaps they are just congenital moaners who can't recognise improvement when it is right there in front of them.

  

Edited by pondsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Being within a few minutes of reaching top 6, reaching two semi-finals, beating both of the Glasgow giants in the same season, being clear of the relegation and playoff places several weeks before the end of the season. These are all indicators that we have had  an above average season - not a great season but definitely above average compared to recent seasons (with the exception of the year we won the Championship).

We should accept that the club has made progress and enjoy that feeling. Not the finished article by a long way, but perhaps laying foundations for something better to come. Next season will be critical. Can JG continue the upward trajectory or will we slide backwards? If we do, perhaps those who are bemoaning our 'failures' this season will regret not enjoying this year's achievements more. Or perhaps they are just congenital moaners who can't recognise improvement when it is right there in front of them.

  

With no fans and no pressure this season does not count one bit. When the pressure is really on then you can tell who has made progress. Next season will be back to survival fight, i would put the odds of Saints and Ross County to be favourites for relegation already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, God of war said:

With no fans and no pressure this season does not count one bit. When the pressure is really on then you can tell who has made progress. Next season will be back to survival fight, i would put the odds of Saints and Ross County to be favourites for relegation already...

Put your House on it, I will happily give you the price for a cup of tea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I said only cup winners were successfull in 2 different posts then you repeat my words with a question mark are you oaksoft in disguise???

Yes for the 3rd time if we don't win the cup that is unsuccessfull, we lost i really don't see the euphoria around losing 2 semi finals to teams who we should class as similar levels to ourselves.

Maybe you could point out where i mentioned Goodwin on any of the posts i have wrote today???

If i had to describe season i would probably describe in exactly the same way you have good (not Great but better than average) but to excuse Goodwin of all blame for the negatives in what could have been our best season ever is looking through JG tinted glasses even today apparently he even admitted he played for a draw at home against a team with 10 men.

You are saying that because we didn't win either Cup that our entire season can be written off as a failure.

And even when we do get a bit of success by finishing ahead of Motherwell you won't acknowledge that as progress, preferring to attach a whole heap of "aye buts" to it.

I'm not sure that invoking the "are you oaksoft" defence is going to save you from looking a bit of an idiot on this issue. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

2 cup semi finals isn't really successfull though is it???

I'm sorry but this really is hilarious. :lol:

I'm not sure this level of rank entitlement is compatible with supporting a team like Saints but you wire right in chief. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Slarti said:

Was it Elvis?

Actually it was at least two - me and Lex. Others may have also posted that view but it was at least the two of us.

And we are both correct.

Taken in its entirety, that has been our most successful season overall since the 80's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ronnie said:

In a years time no c**t will be glorifying losing 2 semi finals like they are now.

It certainly won't take a year for the "glorifying" to stop.

It's been less than 24 hours and I've already moved on.

Last season was great but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next with players coming and going.

Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about 1987, 2013 or any other year. I made sure I enjoyed it as fully as possible when it was happening and then moved on.

Life should not be lived constantly looking in the rear view mirror. That's how you make yourself absolutely f**king miserable.

Edited by oaksoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Have you ever reminisced about 2018, 2013, 2006, 2000 or 1987 all trophy winning seasons i have loads of times.

I certainly don't reminisce about the seasons we lost in finals and semi finals i couldn't even tell you all the years they were in but i could tell you 90% of players and stats from the winning years above.

In a years time no c**t will be glorifying losing 2 semi finals like they are now.

Neither the players or the manager or fans that I know are “glorifying “ losing semi-finals and getting 7th place. It’s gut wrenching to get so close to a major final and the top 6.

Maybe it was for the best since we could not attend this season had we got to either final. 

Here’s hoping we can go one better next year and win something again, although you imagine the two arse cheeks will spend heavily in their squads through the summer. It is also major progress under a manager in his first full time post.

Given where Saints were a few short years ago…….

19/20 - Hearts were relegated as opposed to us 

18/19 - Dundee United stayed down - we stayed up thanks to penalties

17/18 - Promotion from Championship

16/17 - The Great Escape when we stayed up on goal difference after last day draw away to Hibs 

I remember celebrating all those days big time. I even have scars on my liver to prove it. I’m sure you did too. Here’s to happier times ahead. 

I do agree with you in that I completely blank out the nearly years. For the life of me I don’t remember the 2009 SC semi against Rangers. 

Edited by Yflab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Neither the players or the manager or fans that I know are “glorifying “ losing semi-finals and getting 7th place. It’s gut wrenching to get so close to a major final and the top 6.

Maybe it was for the best since we could not attend this season had we got to either final. 

Here’s hoping we can go one better next year and win something again, although you imagine the two arse cheeks will spend heavily in their squads through the summer. It is also major progress under a manager in his first full time post.

Given where Saints were a few short years ago…….

19/20 - Hearts were relegated as opposed to us 

18/19 - Dundee United stayed down - we stayed up thanks to penalties

17/18 - Promotion from Championship

16/17 - The Great Escape when we stayed up on goal difference after last day draw away to Hibs 

I remember celebrating all those days big time. I even have scars on my liver to prove it. I’m sure you did too. Here’s to happier times ahead. 

I do agree with you in that I completely blank out the nearly years. For the life of me I don’t remember the 2009 SC semi against Rangers. 

Problem is,  some  would appear rather to enjoy the great escapes, etc. We have a better team now than we have had in years and it will only get better imo. Would be great to have they financial clout that some others do to spend silly on players but we don't so got rely on good judgement, sometimes it works out sometimes not.

Hope we can get targeted players in as soon as then they all settled for new season kicking off and not signing loads at last minute.

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Problem is,  some  would appear rather to enjoy the great escapes, etc. We have a better team now than we have had in years and it will only get better imo. Would be great to have they financial clout that some others do to spend silly on players but we don't so got rely on good judgement, sometimes it works out sometimes not.

Hope we can get targeted players in as soon as then they all settled for new season kicking off and not signing loads at last minute.

 We would have had substantially more money if we hadn't bottled it in two cup semis and one League game. Just saying.

Edited by elvis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, elvis said:

 We would have had substantially more money if we hadn't bottled it in two cup semis and one League game. Just saying.

We would have had substantially less had we not reached two cup semis and been further down the league.

Just saying. 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent season all things considered. 2 national cup semi finals just missed out on top 6 by 2 goals, albeit we would now be 5th but for the split. A few players short of having a decent squad in the premier league. 3 or 4 will be away Big Jon already is if we can replace with slightly better top 6 is realistic. Fans back next season hopefully a better record at home and it could be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

We would have had substantially less had we not reached two cup semis and been further down the league.

Just saying. 🤪

Club has previously budgeted for finishing 11th in the top league and going out first round of cups.

Anything above that has been seen to be a bonus.

Despite no hospitality and matchday revenue this season due to Covid we may well have come through the other side of the storm with less impact compared to other clubs in the division.

When SMiSA take over on 21st July 2021 we will have an excess of £140,000 in he SMiSA rainy day fund. Most fans seem keen to continue their subscriptions so that rainy day fund will grow even more. It is planned that a new introductory membership will be introduced at £5 per month with the other levels set at £12 and £25 per month. 

Regardless of what tier you enter it will still be One Member - One Vote.

The more members we have the more representative of the total support and the more funds we have at our disposal to improve matchday experience, academy improvements, first team squad and staff. 

St Johnstone pull in over £1M extra revenue over us due to their off field activities. Our club and fans need to generate additional revenue streams and plans are in place to do that within the club moving forward. 

Anyone wishing to join SMiSA can do so here https://www.smisa.net/buythebuds/member-benefits-sign-up

Maybe even Oaky will join. I still don’t understand why he never puts his hand in his pocket to support his club. Surely even he can manage £5 per month. The only reason he can watch the games on Hesgoal is because we have funded St Mirren TV.

We live in hope. 

FD0308E9-3ED5-4AD9-8C57-186A5E71B3BF.thumb.jpeg.53922249cf0a53fafca2369016eb32ed.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, God of war said:

Not a day I'm looking forward to. Club will be in far poorer hands IMO.

What evidence do you have to back up your claim? I’m really keen to know why you are against it. Will you provide a counter argument to what I set out below?

IMHO there is a wealth of talent within the St Mirren support. There are many retired business people who can and do get involved in supporting our club with their time and experience. We have local MSP on the SMiSA committee. We have a well known journalist on same committee. Everyone I have ever spoken to that is involved in SMiSA has the clubs best interests at heart. Why would they put the club at risk?

Compare our club accounts to Dundee.   https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-accounts-2/

“……2018/19 was a frustrating and disappointing season with the club being relegated from the SPFL Premiership. A loss for the year had been forecast but the actual loss of £1,825,669 was significantly higher than the previous year’s loss (£425,748).“

Would you rather have their model of ownership? It will be interesting to see their next set of accounts.

We have also seen some very positive contributions around the club since the tie up with Kibble. 

Fan ownership 50+1 model has worked really well in Germany. We will finally achieve the same model after 20 years of SMiSA. For most of those years only around 100 Saints fans were part of the journey. I’m so glad that more fans have joined and I hope that many more join in the future.

If you believe that you can make a difference, then join. Come on a join the party!

One Member - One Vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Yflab said:

What evidence do you have to back up your claim? I’m really keen to know why you are against it. Will you provide a counter argument to what I set out below?

IMHO there is a wealth of talent within the St Mirren support. There are many retired business people who can and do get involved in supporting our club with their time and experience. We have local MSP on the SMiSA committee. We have a well known journalist on same committee. Everyone I have ever spoken to that is involved in SMiSA has the clubs best interests at heart. Why would they put the club at risk?

Compare our club accounts to Dundee.   https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-accounts-2/

“……2018/19 was a frustrating and disappointing season with the club being relegated from the SPFL Premiership. A loss for the year had been forecast but the actual loss of £1,825,669 was significantly higher than the previous year’s loss (£425,748).“

Would you rather have their model of ownership? It will be interesting to see their next set of accounts.

We have also seen some very positive contributions around the club since the tie up with Kibble. 

Fan ownership 50+1 model has worked really well in Germany. We will finally achieve the same model after 20 years of SMiSA. For most of those years only around 100 Saints fans were part of the journey. I’m so glad that more fans have joined and I hope that many more join in the future.

If you believe that you can make a difference, then join. Come on a join the party!

One Member - One Vote. 

That is quite staggering losses and indeed if it were any other type of business then not financially viable. I would assume their losses are secured to dens park which in turn brings long term problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danish Buddie said:

Decent season all things considered. 2 national cup semi finals just missed out on top 6 by 2 goals, albeit we would now be 5th but for the split. A few players short of having a decent squad in the premier league. 3 or 4 will be away Big Jon already is if we can replace with slightly better top 6 is realistic. Fans back next season hopefully a better record at home and it could be good.

How do you figure that out? 

It seems to have slipped your mind we would have been playing the top teams and not the diddy teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yflab said:

What evidence do you have to back up your claim? I’m really keen to know why you are against it. Will you provide a counter argument to what I set out below?

IMHO there is a wealth of talent within the St Mirren support. There are many retired business people who can and do get involved in supporting our club with their time and experience. We have local MSP on the SMiSA committee. We have a well known journalist on same committee. Everyone I have ever spoken to that is involved in SMiSA has the clubs best interests at heart. Why would they put the club at risk?

Compare our club accounts to Dundee.   https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/club-statement-accounts-2/

“……2018/19 was a frustrating and disappointing season with the club being relegated from the SPFL Premiership. A loss for the year had been forecast but the actual loss of £1,825,669 was significantly higher than the previous year’s loss (£425,748).“

Would you rather have their model of ownership? It will be interesting to see their next set of accounts.

We have also seen some very positive contributions around the club since the tie up with Kibble. 

Fan ownership 50+1 model has worked really well in Germany. We will finally achieve the same model after 20 years of SMiSA. For most of those years only around 100 Saints fans were part of the journey. I’m so glad that more fans have joined and I hope that many more join in the future.

If you believe that you can make a difference, then join. Come on a join the party!

One Member - One Vote. 

Aw FFS Balfy, you know better than to engage this cretin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How do you figure that out? 
It seems to have slipped your mind we would have been playing the top teams and not the diddy teams. 
I think he meant that we would still have to play the top teams in a 44 game season but at this moment be sitting 5th.

Or maybe he didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yflab said:

Club has previously budgeted for finishing 11th in the top league and going out first round of cups.

Anything above that has been seen to be a bonus.

Despite no hospitality and matchday revenue this season due to Covid we may well have come through the other side of the storm with less impact compared to other clubs in the division.

When SMiSA take over on 21st July 2021 we will have an excess of £140,000 in he SMiSA rainy day fund. Most fans seem keen to continue their subscriptions so that rainy day fund will grow even more. It is planned that a new introductory membership will be introduced at £5 per month with the other levels set at £12 and £25 per month. 

Regardless of what tier you enter it will still be One Member - One Vote.

The more members we have the more representative of the total support and the more funds we have at our disposal to improve matchday experience, academy improvements, first team squad and staff. 

St Johnstone pull in over £1M extra revenue over us due to their off field activities. Our club and fans need to generate additional revenue streams and plans are in place to do that within the club moving forward. 

Anyone wishing to join SMiSA can do so here https://www.smisa.net/buythebuds/member-benefits-sign-up

Maybe even Oaky will join. I still don’t understand why he never puts his hand in his pocket to support his club. Surely even he can manage £5 per month. The only reason he can watch the games on Hesgoal is because we have funded St Mirren TV.

We live in hope. 

FD0308E9-3ED5-4AD9-8C57-186A5E71B3BF.thumb.jpeg.53922249cf0a53fafca2369016eb32ed.jpeg

How do St Johnstone  earn that extra £1m 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

How do St Johnstone  earn that extra £1m 

I think that their stadium was used for a lot of functions during the week - pre covid. Everything from conferences to funeral receptions. Some achievement to pull in an extra million from that but possible.

Edited by magnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, magnus said:

I think that their stadium is used for a lot of functions during the week - pre covid. Everything from conferences to funeral receptions. Some achievement to pull in an extra million from that but possible.

Maybe we should try getting there commercial manager in for us .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...