Estate Agents

faraway saint

Currently dealing with an estate agent from Paisley to sell my fathers flat.

Before asking them to value it we'd looked at several similar properties, on Zoopla, in the same street to get an idea of the valuation.

Unfortunately the estate agents has come in approx. £10k UNDER the average price, and also suggesting asking for offers £4k under their valuation.

When you add in their "commission" it looks less and less appealing.

Looking at Patch, who, I'm led to believe, sell quite a few similar properties in the the Paisley area.

At the moment the only issue is they don't seem to offer a viewing service, a necessity as we're over 100 miles away. 

I'm holding back in getting back to the estate agent, the commission is money for nothing and would take their bill to almost £1,800, and that's not taking into account the legal fees. 

Yes I can sympathise with your predicament and situation.

Estate agent that you are currently engaging with is clearly after a quick sale (and buck) - they will likely have people on their database ready to buy in the specific area.

As for Zoopla I know there is a function in there where you can obtain actual sold data with dates of sale (obviously better than an estimate) for better benchmarking.

As for options, when my mum passed 6 years ago I was working up in Aberdeen I used a company called Dickson Bean Estates in Cardonald who did a ‘turnkey’ service and whilst I can’t remember the detail they were modest with their fees.

Their will be a better option somewhere in the Paisley area.

It's a sellers market just now, I know 1 or 2 work colleagues who are trying to buy and everything is selling more than the value off the home apparently.  It may be a ploy selling slightly less than value to generate initial interest. It might be better to look at an estate agent where you only pay commision if the house is sold

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Before asking them to value it we'd looked at several similar properties, on Zoopla, in the same street to get an idea of the valuation.

Unfortunately the estate agents has come in approx. £10k UNDER the average price, and also suggesting asking for offers £4k under their valuation.

Looking at Patch, who, I'm led to believe, sell quite a few similar properties in the the Paisley area.

At the moment the only issue is they don't seem to offer a viewing service, a necessity as we're over 100 miles away. 

I'm holding back in getting back to the estate agent, the commission is money for nothing and would take their bill to almost £1,800, and that's not taking into account the legal fees. 

Mate, unless some of the walls are missing, that does not sound right..... I would bin them and go for another company.... in the main properties are selling like hotcakes in the Paisley area and we are finding that 10%/ 15% over evaluation does not secure.... that's pretty much across the board.... as I am also helping my son at the starter side …. let us know if you get better joy

We got Patch to sell my dads flat when passed away.   I say SELL but the truth is they done f**k all apart from stick a sign up and a few pics on their site. There was no selling involved, when I questioned what they were doing to stimulate interest and find a buyer all I got was blank looks . useless dicks.

We told them to f**k off and sold it ourselves to a private buyer.  

I know this won’t help you sell the flat, just my opinion of patch !! 

25 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

We got Patch to sell my dads flat when passed away.   I say SELL but the truth is they done f**k all apart from stick a sign up and a few pics on their site. There was no selling involved, when I questioned what they were doing to stimulate interest and find a buyer all I got was blank looks . useless dicks.

We told them to f**k off and sold it ourselves to a private buyer.  

I know this won’t help you sell the flat, just my opinion of patch !! 

I've heard mixed reports TBH. 

Unfortunately being away up here makes selling it ourselves more than difficult.

As I said, two main issues with estate agent we've been in touch with is the valuation (I understand to some extent going low to get interest but even 10% above would only just reach the low valuation) and the commission for doing nothing extra. 

Edited by faraway saint

I used Walker Laird to sell my flat and in agreement with them, it was put on the market for 2K under the home report valuation.

Sold for 5% over the home report valuation which i was happy with. 

Maybe i got that because the buyer was a footballer who had just signed a new deal with his club :rolleyes:

You can leave your keys with them for them to show people round.

They also did my legal side of it and everything went ok with them.

They also sponsor the club 👍

Use doorsteps.co.uk   -  Sign up for top cashback first and you get £22 back from their listing fee of £99. Get someone you know in paisley to take photos if you don't have them and to do viewings for £10 a pop. Use Conveyancing direct for solicitors and you will save yourself a fortune. 

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I have a little experience in this field if you want to discuss it.

I have no clear favourite or preference and like most I have had some pretty ropey experiences with Estate agents, but there are some slightly better than others.

3 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I have a little experience in this field if you want to discuss it.

I have no clear favourite or preference and like most I have had some pretty ropey experiences with Estate agents, but there are some slightly better than others.

Will message you when I get home.

Thanks. 

Have used Cochran Dickie several times over the years for my late parents (they were their solicitors so it kept them happy) and always had good service. My sister or I did some of the viewings but they did more than a few for us and never let us down.  They charged Estate Agents rates which are a bit higher than the new breed of agents but they do actually know how to sell houses.

5 hours ago, Slash said:

Have you tried these https://www.pennylanehomes.com?

Not sure they provide a key opening, but a lot of properties are being sold via video viewings. 

Have I told you how much I despise a lot of estate agents, solicitors and IFAs?

I used them earlier this year to sell my late step-father's house in Renfrew. The walk through video they had on their site was excellent . The original sale collapsed because the buyers mortgage collapsed , but they didn't take any extra to re-advertise it , and it sold quickly for way over their asking price !

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm unsure what estate agents, traditional or the newer breed, can do apart from making sure the property is on all the main selling sites?

IMO there's a lot of luck involved no matter who you go with.

I am an ex director of an estate agency. PM the details of the property and I will sort you out. Basically you need the flat presented in its best possible condition and get the best photos you can using lighting and angles. Put together an attractive but honest description. List it on property portals at midday on a friday to try and get early weekend traffic to build up interest which can lead to either a quick sale or gathered interest. Your property views on portals drops by 40% after 3 days and another 20% after 7 days. There is a sound selling process which most estate agents don't adhere to. I have sold hundreds of properties throughout glasgow and paisley but mainly west end glasgow. I will give you an honest appraisal and see if I can get you a discounted home report if you don't already have one. 

Presentation, productive marketing, putting on the portals at the right time and negotiation based on information and interest and the only key elements to selling a property. If anyone else tells you anything different they are lying.

9 minutes ago, Slash said:

I reckon you must have some very interesting stories and advice regards the process of selling houses, both from a vendor and an estate agent. Possibly worth a new thread alone.

Yup, but not worth a new thread. Was actually going to set up a free estate agency (for fun) a few years back which involved using a third party listing agent (doorsteps.co.uk) which I got a kickback from. I was going to use 4 specific solicitors who had the lowest rates in Scotland, who I also got a kickback from and the same with surveyors. I could make money selling your property for free and that is before I would charge say £75 -£100 for photos/floorplans and £10-£15 for viewings or block viewings (if they were required) but you could do these yourself.

I didn't need to and would just eat up my time so I didn't bother but it could still be done. Could you imagine the estate agency market if I or someone else did it. You would clear up on the market apart from the pretentious numpties that want a specific (alleged) prestigious brand name selling their property :)