New strip

12 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

How dare Man City wear Paisley pattern. This would have been a good 3rd strip for us.

035DEEE4-629B-4C77-960F-C11E1AB69E07.jpeg

IIRC Renfrewshire Council own the rights to the "teardrop design".  I wonder how much they are getting?

Any potential of 'rights' over that sailed many centuries ago.

Buddies actually copied/appropriated it from ancient motifs dating from civilisations of... eons back - and they transformed it into something transiently fashionable for their shawls and other cloths.

It's as patentable or licensable as a cross, triangle or a square

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Buddies actually copied/appropriated it from ancient motifs dating from civilisations of... eons back - and they transformed it into something transiently fashionable for their shawls and other cloths.

Depends which sort of triangle . I’ve patented the four sided version. 😎

I know that a while back the council took some Japanese (i think) company to court over it and the company ended up paying the council in an out of court settlement. Dunno how much, dunno if it still applies, dunno much about it really to be honest. I was just wondering.

44 minutes ago, Yflab said:

New strip bingo calling! Cheers Baz.

Only a few more needed for a full house.

Happens every year. 

Because repetition isn't a part of BAWA... :whistle

Every year it has happened, I can see people's point in being disappointed the kits aren't out earlier. 

13 hours ago, Slarti said:
17 hours ago, antrin said:

I know that a while back the council took some Japanese (i think) company to court over it and the company ended up paying the council in an out of court settlement. Dunno how much, dunno if it still applies, dunno much about it really to be honest. I was just wondering.

I could well be wrong, then.

be interesting to read/ see something of that...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15254977.paisley-bids-find-pattern-success-protecting-brand/

Now talks are under way between Harris Tweed and Paisley Pattern to find a way to strengthen the largely unknown historical links between the two and to help the town protect and develop the pattern. 

As part of its bid to become UK City of Culture 2021, new bespoke licensing agreements are being developed for high-end global fashion companies who want to use the Paisley Pattern in their designs. 

A new “Made in Paisley” certification marque is being developed with the help of Harris Tweed Hebrides for products made by new designers and creatives who base themselves in the town. 

By contrast Paisley Pattern, the teardrop design borrowed from Kashmir and which features on shawls woven in Paisley during the 18th and 19th centuries and exported across the world, is not patented.

I could well be wrong, then.

be interesting to read/ see something of that...

I can't renember details, but it stuck in my head for being, imo, strange as the pattern had been used "everywhere, on everything, forever" prior to that. Maybe there was a lot more to it than I recall.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15254977.paisley-bids-find-pattern-success-protecting-brand/

Now talks are under way between Harris Tweed and Paisley Pattern to find a way to strengthen the largely unknown historical links between the two and to help the town protect and develop the pattern. 
As part of its bid to become UK City of Culture 2021, new bespoke licensing agreements are being developed for high-end global fashion companies who want to use the Paisley Pattern in their designs. 
A new “Made in Paisley” certification marque is being developed with the help of Harris Tweed Hebrides for products made by new designers and creatives who base themselves in the town. 
By contrast Paisley Pattern, the teardrop design borrowed from Kashmir and which features on shawls woven in Paisley during the 18th and 19th centuries and exported across the world, is not patented.
Well, there you go then. Either things have changed since the incident I recall or I'm just plain wrong. I could just blame it on a badly written article in the PDE many years ago. [emoji16]

That IS interesting!

They’ll try to “patent” those Paisley patterns held at the museum and license their use.  Not just the wee logo itself.

Some people have the money to want to pay extra for any special cachet that may attach to product from the actual place.

IIRC there used to be someone who worked the looms in the Museum and produced cloth/ shawls and sold them.    Not that long ago....  my wummin got given a shawl as a gift.  

Must ask her if she knows its provenance. (And if it was made in the Museum...)

On 5/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, djchapsticks said:

They have still not actually announced the winner of the SMISA members vote on the new kits, so that needs to happen first.

Much as I admire Smisa for all its achieved why do they have the last say as they only represent  1100 supporters  ,ie a minority?

36 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

Much as I admire Smisa for all its achieved why do they have the last say as they only represent  1100 supporters  ,ie a minority?

Bit of a weird take.

They have the last say as they are the group that ponied up for the majority of shares in the club. They aren't representing 1,100 supporters by way of a closed shop, it could just as easily be 3,000 or 4,000 supporters if the membership uptake was at that level. Supporters one and all have an equal chance to have their views represented by joining SMiSA.

They put the vote out to their 1,100 members and like it or not, that was the fairest way to do it. Would you have rather it was a public vote and you'd have had Hearts, Morton etc supporters skewing the vote to pick something pish? At least you know everyone voting on the kits was 100% a supporter.

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Bit of a weird take.

They have the last say as they are the group that ponied up for the majority of shares in the club. They aren't representing 1,100 supporters by way of a closed shop, it could just as easily be 3,000 or 4,000 supporters if the membership uptake was at that level. Supporters one and all have an equal chance to have their views represented by joining SMiSA.

They put the vote out to their 1,100 members and like it or not, that was the fairest way to do it. Would you have rather it was a public vote and you'd have had Hearts, Morton etc supporters skewing the vote to pick something pish? At least you know everyone voting on the kits was 100% a supporter.

Why not the 3200 season ticket holders?

4 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

Why not the 3200 season ticket holders?

Because SMiSA have no say over the will of all ST holders, only their own membership and as majority shareholders in the club they are within their rights to poll their members.

I get the impression you are trying to find drama where there is none whatsoever.